billvon

Might not be able to access DZ.com!

. . . this friday, especially if you use a wireless internet connection. There's a storm coming, and it's not _that_ kind of storm. Interesting - I noticed some massive (i.e. visible to the naked eye) sunspots Tuesday. I was wondering if they'd give rise to unusual solar weather.

From CNN:

Solar burst could scramble phones, power lines
By Marsha Walton
CNN
Thursday, October 23, 2003

(CNN) -- Satellites, pagers, cell phones, and electrical grids could be affected Friday by a moderately powerful ejection of magnetic material from the sun.

Space weather forecasters say the coronal mass ejection, or CME, was detected Wednesday morning at 3 a.m. EDT. It is expected to reach Earth about 3 p.m. EDT Friday, and its effects could last 12 to 18 hours.

Space weather forecasters at NOAA's Space Environment Center in Boulder, Colorado, warn a number of industries when there is a major release of the hot flares of solar gases. They usually take two to four days to reach Earth.

In the midst of these electromagnetic events, power companies often refrain from peak uploading and downloading of power across the grid. Airlines are also alerted, because some navigation systems may be affected.

. . . .

In the past there have been major outages and interruptions of cell phone and pager service because of electromagnetic interference.

. . . I noticed some massive (i.e. visible to the naked eye) sunspots Tuesday.

Bill - Why were you staring at the Sun? You know it's not good for your eyes. B|
--
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Postal Rodriguez, Muff 3342

It is expected to reach Earth about 3 p.m. EDT Friday, and its effects could last 12 to 18 hours.

12 to 18 hours without Dropzone.com, what am I going to do?;)
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM