Rdutch

Cable Modem for non Cable subscribers question.

Im moving soon, and the house Im moving to has cable, that they borrow from their neighbors. I have to have Cable internet, but they dont want me to have cable installed, is there a way to get cable internet without getting cable for your tv?

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

This might work, tell the neighbors to get a cable modem, then buy a router and pay half the bill. I am almost positive that you can have internet service without cable service.

There's no truer sense of flying than sky diving," Scott Cowan

I moved a few months back and tried just that. They wouldnt do it. I think its a matter of policy as opposed to ability. I just went with a cell phone(free LD) and DSL. Same situation. The phone co. still made me get a phone line. But the bare bones line was $13(no LD) instead of cable at $30. Besides, they would still do some sort of a service call and bust the people.

Yeah I thought of all that, I dont think anything to do with the neighbors is possible, I asked if I could pay to have cable installed and was told no, the place I am moving to is a studio apt in the back. And they dont want to deal with it. So I want to use my Cable that is connected to get internet access.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

You can get Cable internet with out getting Cable TV. They usually offer package deals if you get both though.

BUT... it sounds like with the borrowing thats going on they might not want any cable repair people out looking at the lines. See if they offer a do it your self install package so you don't have to have them send some one out to do the install.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Ok dude I just got of the phone with my Tec
Cable inter net and TV Use the same wire so all you have to do is hock up your modem but you will have to pay for the service but an additional wire is not needed

Just an edit here I am in NY and the same company that provides Cable TV provides Cable inter net if it's the same where you are all you need is a splitter and you can have cable TV and Internet
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

DSL not an option? Bypass the headache of paying onto someone else's bill. My two cents.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I think they don't want any cable people out because they are stealing cable and don't want to get caught. I would try DSL
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

had the same thing happen to me.... moved in with a roomate and she was getting "free" cable well i didn't want to bust that so i got dsl.. well as it happens they did an audit and turned her cable off so now i pay for cable and dsl.. as soon as my dsl contract runs out in april i'm getting my phone swithched off and getting cable internet.... only thing is it sucks when everybody is online and your coection is slow as shit.. but they are geting 3mb conection speed around here regularly on cable so i shouldn't have to worry!!!!!

In the UK it caused much confusion having Cable internet and no cable TV. They just can't comprehend that we didn't want tv, it worked well though because we got 2 years FREE cable as their accounting system wasn't capable of processing that optionB|
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.