AggieDave

Advice: How much and where?

I need to sell some stuff to get some money raised up quick, so I found something that I really don't need and I want to sell it. Its not skydiving related, but I don't know where I should put it to sell.

Its the stock wheels off my truck, do you think I should put them up on Ebay? The only problem is, I've never sold on Ebay so I won't have a seller rating, so that might turn people away.

Oh, what should I ask for them? They're the 16" aluminum alloy, 6-lug stock Chevy wheel for a 1/2 ton. I was thinking $400 for the set would be a steal (esp since a new set is something like $1200 fron the dealer).

Do you think that's reasonable for the price, too high or too low?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Try the auto trader/ truck trader. There is always that section in the back for tires, wheels, and parts etc. They used to have that deal where it was only one price for the ad and it ran till the stuff sold.

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I've already persued those avenues, the ones I've talked to (including in the Houston area) are swamped with the wheels. Basically, its a funciton of where I live. Chevy trucks, especially Z-71s are very very very common around here. One of the first things that everyone does is buy new wheels and bigger tires when they get one. Thus, this area of Texas is swamped with these wheels.

From what I understand, outside of this part of Texas, it isn't like this, and the wheels sell very easily.

Thrifty Nickel has always done me right.

Put it in there at about 475 I think you could get that for it.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

The downside to selling something like that on eBay is the shipping cost. Of course, you would require the buyer to pay those costs.....but since they will be pretty high, that will lower the max bid that people are willing to put in. As for the seller rating thing....not to worry, my first couple eBay sales were items that went for several thousand dollars and nobody ever made mention of my zero seller rating.

Mike

...with our without stock rubber, Dave?

I have a freind in the wheel repair business here in Canada and there MIGHT be a market for them. I'm not sure of what they're worth to Gord but I'm fairly sure he's not into the rubber. PM me with any interest.

Or, find your local wheel repair shop and find out what they'd pay you for them. If they're PREFECT then they can be resold to insurance comapnies and I'm sure that would make them worth at least the $400 to a local. If they're not perfect then they'd need to be refinished and that makes them worth a lot less to the repair market and you' d be better off selling them on Craigs list or buy and sell (or whatever you have in the area).

Sometimes the laws of supply and demand suck!

Dave

PS never done ebay myself either

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

i agree that i wouldn't do it ebay, shipping costs on those things would be 50 rim probably, too much of a hassle to do so. find a local place or regional paper to do it.

as for ebay, i have a low rating and i still sell and buy stuff and ease. it's easy to make a buck when you need it
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

Nope, no rubber. They used to have 26575R16 MT tires on them, but I replaced the wheels when I replaced the tires. The tires that were on them were long gone, so I trashed them.

They're not in perfect condition, but they're very nice...

I checked with the 3 wheel repair places in Houston, they have these wheels coming out of their ass, supply demand in Texas is rough on this one.

Talked to my buddy and he said pretty much the same thing. Those wheels were stock from 92-99 so "how many million sdid they produce" was his opening question... Apparently he buys off-takes from dealerships for $85 each and then at least doubles that on sale to insurance companies.

His parting words... 'you can pick em up at Garage sales for $25 a rim...'. I gotta figure if the busiest wheel repair shop in central Canada - in the middle of the farmer belt - has got stacks, you might almost be better taking your nice rims off and selling them.

Otherwise, get some tempered glass and some 2nd hand tires, buiild stands and make coffee tables out of them!!

Sorry forthe bad news Dave - I've got absolutely no reason to doubt Gord on this one (like I know about wheels?). Good luck.

-other Dave

PS: nice pix of Aggieland. Is that YOUR plane or was that an AOT boogie loaner?

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

Figures. *shrug* oh-well, I guess I'll keep them to have wheels for the trailer grill I eventually want to build.

Hey, thanks a ton for checking that out for me!

That is the Beech99, our new plane. B|B|B|

No probs, Dave.

Trailer grill .... ? Mmmmm, quarter cow on a spit. That'd be a TEXAS sized bbq, yes? Onboard power for the quick-chill beer cooler... retractable steering gear and a 10 bhp drive motor so you can drive it right to the beer line... hmmmm... can you tell I have a welder in my garage and a warped mind in my head?

:)
Dave

can you tell I have a welder in my garage and a warped mind in my head?

Exactly! Infact, today I'm fix'n to guy buy about 250" of 1" tube steel to make a simple ladder for our new plane.B|

Exactly! Infact, today I'm fix'n to guy buy about 250" of 1" tube steel

Suggestion....

Use square stock for the main rails. Drill holes in the rail stock and use tube steel for the rungs. Fit it all up together, weld the rungs in, then cut the rails at the apropriate angle at the ground end. Easier than using a plug cutter and radiusing the tube ends...

...hey waitaminute, dont "A" and "M" stand for engineering type thingies? Why am I even SUGGESTING... I only have a B.eng (backyard engineer) :P:P

Dave

PS: how's the SuperBeetle? Anything done since you trailered it home?

Yup, the M used to stand for something, it was changed in 1965 to just a letter...anyways, I'm a liberal arts major since about two years ago.:P

Ahhh, the VW. Well, the engine is in the garage, I have a list of stuff I need to rebuild the engine...I just don't have the $$$ for the parts. Never mind that the list has some very nice/bullet-proof aftermarket stuff. Like a much better case, better crank, etc. I'll have it back on the road eventually.

I guess, the other problem is, last week I got a very used dirt bike from a friend of mine super-super cheap. Its a '89 Yamaha 400. Needs some work, but not too much to get it back on the trails...nothing just a lot of cleaning, a little bit of welding and maybe $100 worth of parts won't fix. B|

Dave actually it's in your best interest to hang onto them. When / If you ever trade your beast in, the fancy rims aren't going to get your anymore for your trade then having the stocks on it.

Just a thought.. When you go to trade her in, you can swap them out and sell your after market rims for some cash..

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Its not going to matter if/when I trade my truck in. Its a '98 with almost 91k on the odometer. Stock wheels or not won't matter. Especially since I don't see myself getting rid of this truck in the next 3-5 years.

Actually, I'll probably keep this truck if I get something else later, do a straight axle conversion on it, put atleast 12" of lift and build a nice trail rig.B|

I like the BBQ idea. We are going to need a bigger one to accommodate all the folks wanting to jump that fine looking Aircraft that just showed up.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Yeah, I've been wanting to build the grill for a while now, I've got all the tools to cut and weld it together, I just don't have the $$$ for the parts. I can get a 200lbs propane tank for $80 in Hearne, and I can build a trailer for about $200 (last time I guesstimated), but I don't have that money right now.:S

Yeah, I've been wanting to build the grill for a while now, I've got all the tools to cut and weld it together, I just don't have the $$$ for the parts. I can get a 200lbs propane tank for $80 in Hearne, and I can build a trailer for about $200 (last time I guesstimated), but I don't have that money right now.:S

You should start a SDA bbq fund.B| I'll even donate to it. Coolest people i ever met are at SDA.B|

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Well, we *do* have a keg fund, to keep our dual keg, pressurized keg dispensor full of fresh bubbling goodness.B|

I'd feel pretty bad when I took the grill with me if I ever move away, though...

Hey, you need to get your butt back over here and jump our new plane, the Beech 99!B|

Be careful dave on cutting a propanr tank, Even though its empty and maybe filled with water when you cut it, propane gets in the imperfections of steel tanks and can still generate enough to blow you and anyone standing near you admiring your work sky high as soon as you hit the oxy and blow that first hole. Just s heads up for ya bro. I built my trailer and pit when I lived in lubbock on an 18 ft tandem axle trailer with 48 inch casing. Bought it from some pipe joint in weatherford for dirt cheap(seems like it was 20 dolars a foot or something. A few hours with a wheel and a grinder and it was in good shape. Cut it to 14 foot and put a 4 foot firebox on the end. Cooks really good and seems to have enough room for pretty much whatever you wanna put on it. Need any ideas give me a shout and maybe me and pop can help ya out.

"when I die, I want to go like my grandfather while im sleeping, not like the passengers riding in the car with me
Swoopster
A.S.S. #6 Future T.S.S holder