PhillyKev

Software to quickly reduce file size of images for web posting?

Anyone have a suggestion, preferably freeware. Have lots of pics from digital camera. Full size images would fill my webspace and take to long to view. Any suggestions for decent software that will reduce image file size on batches of photos to online viewing quality?

Definately not freeware, but Adobe Photoshop is the gold standard. It's got some real nifty automation functions, so you can do very large batches at once. Its quite expensive though...

Cheaper then Photoshop, but nearly as good is a shareware program called Paint Shop Pro - you can download it from www.jasc.com. As shareware goes, it's really, really good. Almost as good as Photoshop, which costs 10X as much.

Lastly, there's the GIMP - http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/ - I have no experience with the windows version though, the linux version is quite good.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Definately not freeware, but Adobe Photoshop is the gold standard. It's got some real nifty automation functions, so you can do very large batches at once.

I have to agree, I was into the cheap "create a quick web gallery" software as well, but now that I have figured out how to automate things in Photoshop it has become the only image editor I use..

Iwan

Well, not doing this on any kind of serious basis. Just want to post a couple hundred photos on my personal webspace from my ISP to share with family and friends.

I wasn't saying the cheap software is bad. If this is just a one off web posting, I would go with some shareware that's out there as well.
Photoshop just has a lot of extra functionality that is really nice.
Check out Tucows they have loads of shareware, all categorized, that can do this.

Iwan

check out http://www.imagemagick.org/ the binaries are usually pre-installed on unix systems (I use 'convert' when dealing with photocd's). They apparently have windows source and precompiled executables.
It requires some initial work but pays off if you do it more than once.

oh and it's free

Gotta go... plaything needs to spank me
Feel the hate...
Photos here