skydiverbrian

internet help

I've got some kind of spyware stuck on my computer. Every time I open Explorer, I get directed to some adware that pops my CD drive open. I can get around it only by using my favorites list. Somehow, whatever is loaded also managed to unload my adaware. Any ideas?

In a world full of people, only some want to fly... isn't that crazy! --Seal

Open the INTERNET EXPLORER properties (right click on Internet Explorer icon) and on the GENERAL tab you'll see HOME PAGE, maybe there you have the address for that place. If not, you can run the scanner (it detecs viruses and adware) here

I've got some kind of spyware stuck in my girlfriend. Every time I take out my motorbike, I get derision and her mouth pops open. I can get around it only by sneaking out when she isn't looking. Any ideas?
I'm drunk, you're drunk, lets go back to mine....

I've got some kind of spyware stuck in my girlfriend. Every time I take out my motorbike, I get derision and her mouth pops open. I can get around it only by sneaking out when she isn't looking. Any ideas?

* Brother_Brian *
D.S.W.F.S.B. #2

Are your DAT files up to date and a full sys scan done?

Huh? I know how to get on the internet and how to send e-mails. I can only install programs that walk me through it.

I used to have an adaware icon on my desktop that ran the program when I clicked it. Now it's gone. I looked in the folder it is supposed to be in, and there's no .exe files. Only the logs remain.

I just tried to re-download the adaware software. It won't download. Goes through all the steps, then disappears.

Doesn't seem so "friendly" to me. >:(

You can install DUCT_TAPE.EXE, she'll shut up instantly. :D:P

If ad aware doesn't remove it, you may either have a virus, which is bad but kinda easily fixable, go to symantec.com, they should have an online virus scan(free), or you may have had your registry changed, which is bad and a pain in the ass to fix. I had my registry corrupted, I had to reformat my hard drive to finally get rid of it. Good Luck.

Do what crazyivan and or freeflyr29 said first.

Then if that does not work. reinstall the adaware. It might be a shareware with a regestery time stamp. In other words. You used it the max it aloud you to with out buying the full ver.

The DAT comment I stated was for your anti virus software. Make sure it is up to dat and do a full sys scan.
Bottomless Beers and Blue Skies!

* Brother_Brian *
D.S.W.F.S.B. #2

So, Brian...you wanna tell us what kind of sites you've been visiting that did this to your computer? It's not usually the wholesome ones. >:(
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

You can install DUCT_TAPE.EXE, she'll shut up instantly. :D:P

You have to be careful though. This can sometimes spontaneously start a hidden program in girlfriend called BREAKUP.EXE and/or RESTRAINING_ORDER.EXE. this program seems to affect systems in different manners. :P

Pineappe Death Juice, If you have to ask you'd rather not know!

Adaware free version doesn't have any time limitation. As far as downloading and it disappearing goes. Do you get to choose a location to download it to. If so and it disappears after you download it try saving it with a different name. I.E. choose place to save it and where it has the file name (most likely aaw6.exe) change it to something like 123.exe etc. some spyware programs are triggered to remove key words in file names. if you try and download them it will trigger that. Heres a link to the file on download.com
http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69274&subj=dlpage&tag=button

Pineappe Death Juice, If you have to ask you'd rather not know!

For the record, Andrea, I was on an e-card site. I got a little click-happy with the pop-ups and clicked Y when I should have clicked N. So that's what started it.

And you're right shmali, my adaware was deleted, but I reloaded it and it's survived 2 reboots since then, so I think I might be safe for now.

Thanks, everyone, for the help.

What they've done is rewrote your registry so that when you spawn IE, it redirects you to their website. You can even change the default webpage and it will rewrite the registry again when the computer boots up.

There is a freeware called "HijackThis" which I've had a lot of success with including catching a trojan horse virus. You ask it to do a scan on your computer and it brings up a bunch of lines. You "check" each one and ask it for info on it. It will tell you what it is and how its used for hijacking your default pages etc.

Once you've read the info on it, you can select the "fix" button and it will correct and/or delete it.

http://mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/

One word of caution, it "can" misinterpret some .dlls that may be essential so if you're unsure, you can cut/copy/past the readout, then go to; http://forums.techguy.org/ and ask them if its ok to delete this line. They're very helpful.

edited to add: If your computer restore points are enabled, you "may" want to disable it. If you do a restore it can actually reload the bad stuff... but I'll let Ivan address this point. (I took mine off and just do important file backups nightly.)

That could be another approach, however, something that I always recommend is to KEEP SOLUTIONS SIMPLE and ALWAYS start with the OBVIOUS.

In order to avoid situations like this, is ALWAYS recommended installing a firewall and being careful downloading stuff, installing tools like this can cause a cluttered startup which can slow down your machine's performance and perhaps cause some other problems.

Installing firewall good. I had the same thing happen as him post firewall... drove me nuts for two days.

With many hours invested, I finally figured out that the popup I had "X'd" out, really had code behind it to rewrite my registry and redirect my IE browser.

Evidently, (means correct me if I'm wrong), but if you configure your firewall to block, but you initiate the out (in this case X'ing out the popup)... then the firewall assumes you intended to go to that site?

Installing firewall good. I had the same thing happen as him post firewall... drove me nuts for two days.

With many hours invested, I finally figured out that the popup I had "X'd" out, really had code behind it to rewrite my registry and redirect my IE browser.

Evidently, (means correct me if I'm wrong), but if you configure your firewall to block, but you initiate the out (in this case X'ing out the popup)... then the firewall assumes you intended to go to that site?

Yes, but 'going' to a site is not the problem, is what's coming from it, whether it's in the form of a cookie or a Java applet and you can catch both setting up your firewall accordingly.