captainpooby

Pics from DHL SAM attack in Iraq.

Supposedly they lost two of three hydraulic systems, leaving them with extremely limited elevator control(I'm assuming they only had elevator trim, not true elevator control, based on some of the info I've seen) and rudder control. The crew did an excellent job getting the airplane on the ground and surviving the incident.

Mike

Supposedly they lost two of three hydraulic systems, leaving them with extremely limited elevator control(I'm assuming they only had elevator trim, not true elevator control, based on some of the info I've seen) and rudder control. The crew did an excellent job getting the airplane on the ground and surviving the incident.

Mike

This is the info I have.

"Aircraft was hit at 8000 FT, lost ALL hydraulics and therefore had no
flight controls, actually did a missed approach using only engine
thrust and eventually (after about 16mins) landed heavily on runway 33L
at Baghdad. This was fortunate because with no steering the aircraft
veered of the runway to the left, had they landed on 33R veering to the
left would have taken them straight into the fire station.

The aircraft then travelled about 600 metres through soft sand taking
out a razor wire fence in the process, see LH engine pic, and came to
rest almost at the bottom of the sloping area between the runway and a
taxiway.

All three crew evacuated safely down the second slide, the first one
tore on the razor wire."

"The point of entry pics show where a projectile entered Tank 1A, which
was full of fuel, and, after it ignited, proceeded to burn away at the
spar. The fuel tank ribs in the area directly in front of the O/B flap
are burnt almost 50% through.

The crew obviously did a fantastic job in getting the aircraft back on
to the ground and one can only assume that it was most fortunate that
they were not aware of the state of the wing as they could not see it
from the cockpit."

>holy shiite! That shit flew?

It's amazing what will fly. A DC-10 was landed missing one engine and all its controls; the fact that over half the passengers survived was a miracle. A 737 lost most of its top and landed safely in Hawaii; a 747 in Japan lost 75% of its rear end (including the pressure bulkhead, all the hydraulics, and most of the vertical stabilizer) and actually flew around for over 30 minutes before crashing into a mountain. DC-3's have flown missing most of one wing. Military jets have flown back to base and landed missing one wing entirely.

I thought it would have "hydraulic fuses" to limit the amount of fluid that could be lost in that type of scenario. Of course maybe the leak was not fast enough to activate the fuse, or there could be other complications. It will be interesting to find out more.

Aviation Week is one of the only sources for good info on this type of stuff.

http://aviationnow.com/avnow/news/channel_awst_story.jsp?id=news/12083air.xml

All hydraulic pressure was lost about a minute after the hit, the source said. The low-speed aileron outboard of the damage is supplied by all three hydraulic systems, and there are five spoilers in front of the outboard flap, fed by the three systems.

Primary flight controls become inoperative on the A300B4 with total loss of hydraulic pressure, because there is no manual reversion. The stabilizer trim froze because it is powered only by a pair of hydraulic motors. The crew deployed the ram air turbine with hydraulic pump, but the leaks rendered it ineffective.

And the worst thing of all! I will start a new thread on this!

A Paris Match magazine freelance photographer was with the attackers and shot pictures of the missile launch and strike, which are in the Nov. 27 issue.

People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am