PeteW

Calling all Rig Pigs

I roughnecked all through high school and a little after when I graduated. Started out working floors( lead tong hand). went from tongs to motor man, chain man and finally to the derrick hand. Worked the derrick for probably a year and started as a relief driller. Thats about as far as I went but I can advise you of this. Stay away from the rigs if you can, its filthy, full of over amped lowlifes that live paycheck to paycheck waiting to score more meth, and really doesnt pay very well. If you still insist on trying, look into something like wireline or maybe fracking and possibly even cementing. Transport aint that bad either. Stay off of hot oil units and rigs though if you can. Good luck and I hope you look further into something else B|

"when I die, I want to go like my grandfather while im sleeping, not like the passengers riding in the car with me
Swoopster
A.S.S. #6 Future T.S.S holder

not sure if he posts here anymoe havn't seen him in a long time but huffermoose works/ worked on ofshore oil rigs of the coast of westen africa... dangerous but the pay ws good....

Been in this game for just under 20 years, I'm into construction, and modification of fixed platforms, refineries, floating production units, pipelines, etc.
I look after all safety aspects specifically design of fixed safety systems, and safety in design/ operation. So don't go telling me its dangerous!;):)
You can earn loadsa loot, probably no get rich quick schemes, unless you have some sort of qualification/experience, or willingness to work long hours away from any form of civilisation. Depends on your definition of loadsa loot.
PM if you need a chat.
We can't get enough experienced people right now, so we are taking kids straight out of university and putting them through a crash course in common sense.B|

There is an energy crisis looming, so I'm looking to diversify my skills, I'm getting involved in a couple of offshore windfarms, and tidal generation stations, just in case.

There's more to the oil industry than just drilling, but also try and PM Rgoper, he's a tool pusher.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

"You couldnt pay me enough to get me on a platform."
Aye, and see those folk that do that sky jumping, flinging themselves out a naireyplane at like ten miles and pulling the parachute cord at 200 feet...they are just plain nuts.;)B|

Working offshore in the North Sea is safer than working say domestic construction. Its just unpleasant.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson