peek

Para Gear item number S7938, hole not large enough

Question for riggers. Para Gear item number S7938

I have found that the hole in the end is not quite large enough in diameter for the RSL style pin on an older Vector that was converted to have a SkyHook.

Anyone else experience this? Anyone have a solution? Newer pins a different size?

There is not enough material left to drill it out, (I tried and ruined it.)

I have never been able to get my hollow pin to do much for me on the Vector RSL pins. I take a 4" piece of pull up cord and trap a smaller piece inside of that piece. Then I trap that into the center of a regular pull up cord. Now your pull-up is 3 layers thick. Now as you close your last flap and are ready to seat the pin the pull up cord presents the loop hole better to push the pin in. This is the best solution I have found to replace the hollow temp pin. I thought that this was mentioned somewhere in the vector 3 manual. However I just did a quick skim of the manual and I couldn't find mention of it. The pull-up cord in the manual on page 23 appears to be the type I mention above.

Matt Davies

There is a HUGE variance is the size of the "Older" RSL Pins. The process for finishing them was tumbling and the finished diameter depended on how long they stayed in the machine.

In checking this same problem on around 75 different Tandem rigs,about one third were too large to fit in the hole. The new UPT RSL pin is a round stock and a tight fit but will work.

If you change the material size and make it fit the largest size of the older style it will get "crushed" when used on the the smaller sizes of RSL pins.

I think this temp pin is more of a special service tool and not an everyday, every rig item. If you think you may need it, check for fit before the pack job. If it does not work, prepare differently.

Hope this helps.

I have a cheap solution. Go to Walmart, buy some hollow knitting needles in various sizes. Cut them, smooth the open end, and use them. If walmart no longer carries good quality aluminum knitting needles,just plastic ones, you may need to go to a craft store. Or use heat to melt a hole in the plastic, or drill a hole.
This should be a small fraction of the para-gear price, but won't be curved, or nice stainless.

Ken
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I have a cheap solution. ... hollow knitting needles in various sizes.

Good idea. I had already made my own like that, but it was very hard to get through the closing loop of a tight pack job. I was hoping I could get the large curved item to fit because it was easier to use.

I have never been able to get my hollow pin to do much for me on the Vector RSL pins. I take a 4" piece of pull up cord and trap a smaller piece inside of that piece. Then I trap that into the center of a regular pull up cord. Now your pull-up is 3 layers thick. Now as you close your last flap and are ready to seat the pin the pull up cord presents the loop hole better to push the pin in. This is the best solution I have found to replace the hollow temp pin. I thought that this was mentioned somewhere in the vector 3 manual. However I just did a quick skim of the manual and I couldn't find mention of it. The pull-up cord in the manual on page 23 appears to be the type I mention above.

+1 I do the same, as the temp pins are just a pain in the ass at best. I learned this trick very early in my rigger training, and have used it on almost every pullup cord I've made.

Keep in mind though, the thicker you make it, the more of a pain it is to get thru the AAD cutters. I could barely get my 2 thickness with a closing loop thru the Cypres 2 cutter, but no issues on my Arugs cutter.

I do believe its in the little 'tips' section at the end of the Vector manual, btw.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I have a cheap solution. ... hollow knitting needles in various sizes.

Good idea. I had already made my own like that, but it was very hard to get through the closing loop of a tight pack job. I was hoping I could get the large curved item to fit because it was easier to use.

Got a leather sewing palm? :D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I have used two sizes of curved temp pins. The standard size works with MIL SPEC ripcord pins, while the larger size works with Sigma "6" pins.
Not sure where to get the larger size.

If you are struggling with a small curved pin and a Sigma "6" pin, then you have to push the two together, while sliding them into the closing loop. NOt easy, but it is the only solution I have found.