mr2mk1g

First recorded Parachute Jump

On this day in 1797, Andre-Jacques Garnerin made the first recorded parachute jump. He made the jump from about 3,000 feet.

Useless bit of history for you all:)
And Crazy Ivan don't even dare say its been posted before - this post is in honour of the 206th anniversary... no one has ever posted that before cos there has never been a 206th anniversary before!!!

No shit, there I was and this guy . . . . .

....jumped out of a plane?!:P
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

Fjords of Norway? Dude doesn't sound Scandahoovian.

Huh????

It was from a ballon if memory serves me right (and before the old fart jokes start, memory of reading about it, not being there:P), and, oh grand insult to you yanks, he was FrenchB|;)
Remster

Heya Remster,

My brain was thinking planes - not other lighter-than air
airships. I'm guessing that ballons were pretty hi-tech back then too. I wonder how they figured out it was at 3000 ft?

Can you IMAGINE trying to describe the experience of flight, never mind junping out? After all, the WHOLE WORLD would have been one giant Whuffo back then. They were just getting un-used to the concept of a flat earth :o;):)
Dave

PS: my thought on 3,000 ft jumps without a plane IMEDIATELY jumped to the Fjords of Norway. Sure wouldn't have been B, A, or S in those days and not from that height anyway.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

According to the account I read (in a history of the paratroopers) the first parachutist was in fact a dog. I'd have to dig up the book to give precise names and dates, but the gist is this:

A guy wanted to test his new parachute thingy invention so he went up in a balloon with his dog (maybe it shit on the carpet one too many times or bit him when he tried to pet it). He went up a ways and then tossed Spot out. Evidently the dog survived the involuntary experience, got out of the rig and ran away, never to be seen again. Smart dog.