rinard

New Face

I guess I am kind of harsh in that statement, I really don't have a problem with spirituality or religion, except when people let thier "faith" do thier thinking for them.

These people can't manage thier day-to-day lives without thier "faith" dictating (or "guiding") thier actions.

No, I've had that same gut reaction in the past when I'm either bombarded with someone's faith or when, to paraphrase you, someone can't function outside of their faith.

I've just realised that it's all there for those who need it. I just don't need it. More power to those who do.
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

Ah, I see you are changing the argument. OK, name a war thats been fought in the name of atheism, er....How about the Russian revolution, the cold war and all the wars such as, Borneo, Malaya, Aden, Korea, Afghanistan, Numerous little shitty wars throughout Africa, and my personal favourite......Vietnam. What is communism but a belief system based on atheism? As far as I remember atheists have been starting wars for at least the last hundred years.
Think again my friend.:S
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Organized religion is a joke

Well except for all the death and destruction it has and will continue to cause in the world[:/]
------------------------------------------------------
"From the mightiest pharaoh to the lowliest peasant,
who doesn't enjoy a good sit?" C. Montgomery Burns

Yes religion has been the cause of many wars, and most religions as well. But you can take religion out of the equation and people will just fight about something else, oil, land, politics, race you name it and someone will fight over it. Its in mans nature to destroy each other we need very little excuse to do so.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Ah, I see you are changing the argument. OK, name a war thats been fought in the name of atheism, er....How about the Russian revolution, the cold war and all the wars such as, Borneo, Malaya, Aden, Korea, Afghanistan, Numerous little shitty wars throughout Africa, and my personal favourite......Vietnam. What is communism but a belief system based on atheism? As far as I remember atheists have been starting wars for at least the last hundred years.

:S It's always been about money and power. Religion has always been the marketing tool to sell the war to the masses. Right? Hmm... I've never heard of anyone riding off to battle with the war-cry "For Atheism!". Whatever. Money and power. Power to control or not be controlled.

Earlier, Skyrad, you mentioned increased moral decay. We've been hearing this phrase so long we tend to blindly accept it as true. But I'm not convinced.

I think, generally speaking, morals have been improving for a while. Women's rights seem to continue to move forward. Gay tolerance seems to be increasing. Tolerance/ acceptance for other races and cultures seems to be increasing. The Enron thing seems to have raised awarenes that criminal accounting practices will not be tolerated. Patriotism has been at an all time high since 9-11. Our poor are the wealthiest poor (greatest societal benefits) that the earth has ever seen...

Sure, individuals continue to do horribly evil things that shock and dismay us... but generally speaking... I think things have been looking up for a while...
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

Pretty harsh. Most people who are religious/spiritual are trying to get some definitions that help them get through life. If they use it and it is positive for them, go for it.

I'm not religious, but it provides certain value. If you don't have those needs, you don't have to attend, I don't.

I don't allow religious people to force their views on me either. Respect works both ways.

Attending church provides an agreed-upon central value system. Most people don't follow the doctrine to the letter, but use it a a general guideline.

It also gives people with similar values a social center. In years past, there were few other outlets. Society has changed.

It gives simple answers to complex questions. I don't need those answers. If people do, that is cool.

The only religions that I have issue with are the ones that cause problems for the members. Anything that destroys your ability to function normally in society is a problem, whether it is religion, drugs, or mental illness.

First of all, I didnt think I changed my argument. I'm still saying the same thing, maybe in different wording. Moral decay as a result of lack of religion and no, I'm still not buying it. I'm simply pointing out some of the finer moments when it comes to religion and its moral, and respect. Saying that lack of spiritual guidance is causing moral decay to me is kind of like the pot calling the kettle black considering all the moral decay taking place in this wars over religion (amongst other things).

Another thing, there's been a lot of stuff going on in regards to the catholic priests (or whatever they are called) and sexual abuse on little kids here lately. How's that for moral decay? Certainly a member of the church wouldnt do such a thing since they have religion in their lives?? WRONG! They do!! And guess what, it doesnt have a damn thing to do with whether they are spiritual. It has to do with the fact that they are twisted, sick, mentally ill fucks and nothing else. Moral decay and respect issues are related to ones actions, not their faith. It's that simple .. and for the records, the people who supposedly did this to these kids need to spend a couple of decades in a cell with Bubba and his friends ....

Its in mans nature to destroy each other we need very little excuse to do so.

Really? Can you back that up. I have no desire to destroy anyone, but then again, I'm a woman.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Well except for all the death and destruction it has and will continue to cause in the world[:/]

And there's the disrespect towards the religious folks.
I don't really agree with the teachings and I could never see myself going down that route but hell, these people have just as much of a right to believe and practice their religion as we have not to.
I tend to get a lot of flack for being the only atheist in a family of christians and there are some heated debates from time to time. I can respect most stuff in the lines of the religion except for the just straight out stupid shit (See moral decay posts ..) that is close to insulting to my intelligence.
I think there are some really great traditions that came out of the religions teachings (at least for me, keep in mind I'm not a yank :)Don't bash what man has done to spiritualism, its not the religious teachings fault, its ours.

Well thats nice and upbeat, I don't know if its true as I don't live in America. Hope you are right. However I was talking about the state of affairs in the UK. Of course its not all down to religion and people loosing faith but I don't think it helps. God says turn the other cheek, most people here just seem to turn a blind eye. [:/]
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Its in mans nature to destroy each other we need very little excuse to do so.

Really? Can you back that up. I have no desire to destroy anyone, but then again, I'm a woman.

Judy

I can honestly think of a couple I'd like to see in a world of pain ... starting with some of these child molestors .... granted .. I think they lost human "status" after comitting that kind of crime ..

Well thats nice and upbeat, I don't know if its true as I don't live in America. Hope you are right. However I was talking about the state of affairs in the UK. Of course its not all down to religion and people loosing faith but I don't think it helps. God says turn the other cheek, most people here just seem to turn a blind eye. [:/]

I don't believe in turning the other cheek. I believe in treating your fellow man with equal respect as you have been given.
Also, your blind eye comment. What is that saying ... Ignorance is bliss. I think that's more a person thing than religious. Like I mentioned earlier my whole family here are christians and quite frankly, they all need "Ignorance is bliss" tattooed in their foreheads.
Religious teachings and guidance doesnt mean a thing when the person referred to is fundamentally a piece of shit who really don't care! I see this every day in parts of the people around me and they hide behind their self righteousness "being a good christian" when in fact they are much worse than people lacking faith all together. At least I can honestly stand up and say I stick to what I believe in and not use spiritualism as a cover-up!

You seem to be a little confused between religion and an individuals faith. As for spirtualism, I think you'll find thats communing with the dead.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Yes, its in our genes. Theres lots of research out there. Alot of it is even based on evolutionary theory and primatology, (which should make certain atheists happy);)

An interesting book on this subject is:

Demonic Males : Apes and the Origins of Human Violence
by Authors: Dale Peterson , Richard Wrangham
Released: 14 November, 1997
ISBN: 0395877431

Also see

http://veederandld.20m.com/anthronews/32202c.html
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

***Atheism is a religion, with a set of beliefs just like any other...and equally unprovable.***

Atheism is NOT a religion. An atheist is simply someone who as the name states don't believe in the existens of gods. The fact that it is impossible to prove doesn't make it a religion.

"We Are The Light At The End Of Your Sorry Little Tunnel"

I still want to know who atheist and agnostic athletes thanks when they win a game.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I still want to know who atheist and agnostic athletes thanks when they win a game.

They probably thank themselves and their teammates, and anyone else who played a support role. ;)

But if one of their teammate's names is Jesus or Mohammed, do they just smile and nod in that direction?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Believers and disbeliever, I will tell you something; the natural inclination for religious faith is an integral part of the human essence. This is an indisputable fact of history. All scholars of comparative religion, regardless of their own religious backgrounds, agree that religious belief is a natural human condition. They differ, however about its origins.

It is indispensable for everybody to look for the truth now or later but who guarantee life and how long we are going to live and when the last moment will come. No body knows.
We have all the capabilities and resources to recognize and distinguish using for example the Internet. We will have no excuse, maybe the people in The Amazon do?
We will be asked then.