shah269

AAD new or used?

AAD, buy new or buy used?
Some of the ones that are in need of an update, how much is that on average? Is it worth it to buy second hand or just buy new and transfer it as you progress?
Thanks
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Depending on the brand if you buy new you will still need to perform scheduled maintenance at regular intervals. For used AADs, it also depends on the brand that you buy, and where it is in its maintenance cycle whether/when you'll have to pay for scheduled maintenance.

Decide what brand or brands you're willing to buy. If you have the cash to buy a new one, cool, it'll be transferable to every rig you own, or you can resell it. If cash is tighter and you can find a used one, buy a used one.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Yes I've looked into the various designs but what I didn't see or perhaps I may have missed when I was skimming the various posts was
1) How much does the service cost?
2) How do you ship an item such as this? I know energetic materials have to be shipped carefully to prevent unintended initiation.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

Yes I've looked into the various designs but what I didn't see or perhaps I may have missed when I was skimming the various posts was
1) How much does the service cost?
2) How do you ship an item such as this? I know energetic materials have to be shipped carefully to prevent unintended initiation.

$200 seems to be the cost of the lofts I looked at (Google Cypres 4 year inspection cost).

Shipping is easy, you use the box it originally came in. If that wasn't included with your rig (it was with mine) someone should have one sitting around.

No special care that I know of, the cutters are pretty safe.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

AAD depreciation is fairly linear, so if you got a budget, buying used is fine. The problem is the good old supply and demand - everyone wants to save a buck, so used AADs are hard to come by.

some good reading : http://www.chutingstar.com/expertadvice_en/buying-gear/18-aads-which-one-to-buy.html

and as usual I encourage you to use the search function and try to be less helpless and more proactive about educating yourself w/o needing to be spoon-fed.

I just picked up a year old Argus (DOM 12/09) for $750 shipped.

The service is every four years (can be done at places like chutingstar) and costs ~$120... It has no set service lifetime, and I can change the batteries myself every year (common batteries that every walmart stocks)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I just picked up a year old Argus (DOM 12/09) for $750 shipped.

The service is every four years (can be done at places like chutingstar) and costs ~$120... It has no set service lifetime, and I can change the batteries myself every year (common batteries that every walmart stocks)

Apparently not enough people were changing their batteries every year, so now they mandate that the batteries need to be changed every repack...

Like thats going to stop the guys who weren't changing them every year...:S
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I've seen all the threads regarding which AAD is better or worse, and I would like to stay away from that.
I think I will go with new, they seem to hold their valure rather well. And I intend to stay in this sport for a few more years so I'm sure I will get good value for what I put into it.
Thank you

I think I will go with new, they seem to hold their valure rather well

The Cypres, with it's 12 year life limit, is the only one you can count on the residual value. Ever since SSK posted the 'used Cypres value calculator', the prices in the used market are fairly fixed.

Other brands who lack the long-term market presence, and life limitation, leave the residual value 'up in the air' (no pun intended). It's not hard to for a product to get a bad name in this sport in the wake of an incident(s), even if they prove not to be directly related to the product itself.

Above all, with the exception of the Cypres, don't ever buy any skydiving related equipment with any expectations of ever getting any money back out of it. The market for used gear is very fickle, and as stated above, an incident or even just a newer, better product hitting the market can put the value of your gear in the shitter. This doesn't mean that it's garbage, it should still work just as well as when you bought it, just that nobody else wants what you have.

Either plan to jump stuff until it's useful life is up, or be ready to take a big hit on resale. You may get lucky and still have a 'hot' product when you want to sell, but maybe not. Again, the Cypres is the exception.

>so now they mandate that the batteries need to be changed every repack...

The advantage there is that the rigger is now responsible for the battery change, and there's no question about whether they are needed or not.

>common batteries that every walmart stocks

I would STRONGLY recommend not using Wal-Mart batteries in an AAD. Wal-Mart is great for cheap stuff if you don't care much if it breaks in a few months; AAD's do not fall into that category. Use a supplier with a good quality chain like Digi-Key.