skymama

I'm a criminal

It's ABSOLUTE BULLSHIT in my opinion! Whichever person has a problem with having a basketball net up in your driveway should serioulsy kill themselves, there is no rational explanation for their existance. At the end of the day it's a basketball net, it's not unsightly, it doesn't inconvenience others or cause any undue stress and they help kids stay fit and healthy. Ok, I can see they can do good things for a community but when it comes to trivial things like this, they are pathetic, the fact that they would waste the tax payers money on legal action is beyond me. >:(

I say take a stand and put a dozen of the things on your driveway, hell, plant em in your garden and say they're trees too.

Rant over.;)

------------------------------------------------------
May Contain Nut traces......

We have considered doing it and making ourselves the head of the local HOA, just so we could set the rules (i.e. meetings once a decade, all complaints must be submitted two years in advance of the meeting.) But then we'd also have to (in a legal sense) actually listen to people complain about their neighbors, and I don't need that.

Dude, better grab it now before someone else with other ideas does. Can you image meetings weekly, failure to appear / defend a complaint results in default guilty judgement, etc. You could be on vacation, a neighbor could complain, you could miss your "hearing" and be defaulted to "convict status" and things could get really ugly from there.
It wouldn't hurt you to think like a fucking serial killer every once in a while - just for the sake of prevention

You need to put up some BIG fucking UGLY X-mas decorations in your front lawn. That'll fuck'em up.

Yeah, get those big fiber optic lit deers and arrange them in various deviant sexual positions.
It wouldn't hurt you to think like a fucking serial killer every once in a while - just for the sake of prevention

I had a trailer full of mulch sitting in MY driveway. I got a letter in the mail from the HOA management company saying that was not allowed. It was only there less than a week. I called the co. to ask if they sent notices to people who parked commercial vehicles in the street or in their driveways. She told me that the association had decided not to enforce that rule.:S Then she told me that "some people even had non running cars parked in their driveways" Go figure.:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Did anyone see the episode of the X-files that satirized homeowners associations? People kept disappearing out of this one neighborhood, so Sculley and Mulder moved in to one of the homes pretending to be a married couple. Anytime a light bulb burned out on your street light or you left a yard decoration out.. or broke any homeowners rule, a monster would tunnel through the ground, rise up and kill the offenders.
At one point, Mulder was playing basketball outside on a portable hoop and was about to get it from the monster when his neighbor ran out and saved him... it was pretty funny.
Turned out that it was the evil homeowners association president who conjured up the monster.
hrmm...

Yo Skymama,
Go to your meeting and get yourself on the board (as high up as possible) Like the Prez of the association. Than you can set and enforce all of the rules to your liking.

The HOA is for people with no life. All they want to do is bitch about everyone's life. Nosey little fuckers.

Introduce them to skydiving and that should get them off your back.

Nick

Nick D

The key to Immortality is- first living a life worth remembering”

Maybe if you would have surrounded the trailer of mulch with non-running cars, nobody would have noticed.:P Hell, form the mulch into a shape like a boat, put a boat cover on it and everybody would have been happy.

Think!!! Damnit!;)

I think Skymama needs to go ahead and pull the backstop off the portable thing and install it on a 12-ft wooden cross in her front yard. Tell them "Back off Satan, you can't fuck with my religion!"

If they get really testy, tell them you'll take it down, but when your kids become drug-dealing gang members--since they have to grow up without the benefits of athletic outlets--you're gonna make them hang out in front of the HOA head's house.:ph34r:

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

I just got my official letter back from the Architectual Review Committee after sending in the official application and survey for the damn basketball net. Permission has been denied! They quoted pages in a booklet I'm supposed to refer to, but I never got the booklet. They mentioned something about temporary storage. I guess I'll have to get the kind you can put in the garage. I wasn't planning on that, I got the portable one I have for free, but it doesn't collapse.[:/]
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

>Tell them to kiss your ASS, Its Portable!!!! If they dont like it they
>can move their "portable" cars.

Doesn't matter. An HOA can make it illegal for residents to park on the street. They can cause huge problems for people; resist forming them at all costs.

If I am understanding you correctly then I agree wholeheartedly. I hate home owners associations. I just payed my dues a couple of hours ago. I went to pay them in person and I had the urge to ask if there was a petition I could sign to abolish this freakin association. But then I thought I might just offend the lady that I handing my dues check to. Because in her mind she is performing a service there. Whereas, in my mind there are they are just forcing me to pay an extra $130 yearly so that they could harass me with there annoying policy. Its times like this that I miss Putnum Valley, NY. I often wonder however who supports these associations. Because I am assuming they need atleast 50% of the people for it. Yet I don't know anybody who likes them.
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

I'm a criminal

We knew that, you're stealing the hearts of countless numbers of unsuspecting skyboys around the world.

. Somebody please come spank me, I am a naughty girl.

No, no, no. You've got it all wrong, you're not suposed to enjoy the punishment when you've done something bad!
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

We knew that, you're stealing the hearts of countless numbers of unsuspecting skyboys around the world.

LOL...thanks, JP, but I'd hardly call you guys "unsuspecting". I think I'm the unsuspecting one! :ph34r:

you're not suposed to enjoy the punishment when you've done something bad!

I'd ask what you'd do to me instead of a spanking, but I'm afraid to find out the answer! :o
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

we own 2 lots.one is subdivided for housing one isnt.there are all kinds of considerations or some kind of crap like that.anyway we are the first to buy one of the lots that is in the subdivision.our other lot doesn't have any restrictions.on the lot that does swine was mentioned more than once.i told my wife that we should have bought the lot on the far end so that we would own both ends.anybody gives me any shit and i'm gonna be a pig farmer.all this land is scrub land that will need to be totaly cleared before anyone can build on it,besides we have a tractor.look at your contract and then become just like em.bitch about every little thing.then maybe they will leave you alone.stick a pole out there and hang a real basket on it and let the kids play basket ball.just like they did in the olden days,who knows the kids might get a kick out of it.

Can you declare yourself an independent home-nation and rule with a green thumb and large, orange balls?

Whaaaat? BASKETBALLS. Sickos.:PB|
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

hmmmmmm, you were there before the homeowner's assn? The basketball hoop was there before the homeowner's assn? Did you know you'd have a homeowner's assn?

Yes, I knew there would be an association before moving in, but I don't recall ever seeing the paperwork on what is allowed. It could very well have been buried in the mountains of paperwork I got at my closing though. I figured I wouldn't be able to put up a pool or fence without approval, but Good Lord, a basketball hoop?

Well, if they dont like basketball hoops, try a Confederate flag instead.

If you get really disgusted we can print thier address in one of the Chicago Newspapers as being for sale for about 5 grand with a telephone number. They will never mess with you again.

A friend of mine actually did that and it worked. The people never again gave her a hard time. Busy-bodies know what thier doing and it's mostly done for attention. Once they get scared they seem to back down. I have all sorts of good ideas for getting even.

Heather
Life doesn't have to be perfect in order to be beautiful!

First of all, I'd make them provide me with "the booklet" they reference.......ask a neighbor if they were given the list of covenants when they moved in.......in my case, the subdivision didn't uphold its end of the bargain for "phase 1" (no sidewalks, streetlights, county water, etc. ad nauseum.) so all bets were off. (county ordinances were still very much in effect though!)

You said it is a new subdivision, and the HOA isn't made up of actual homeowners yet, right? It sounds like the developer is trying to pass off a "pristine environment" right up until he makes his money and moves on.......he's trying to make every "property" a model home......for now. The architectural review committee is probably made up of the developer, his secretary, and his less-than-tolerant wife that wants the higher limits on her credit cards her husband promised her she'd get when he started this subdivision.

"Architecture" is typicaly permanent or at least semi-permanent.........a portable basketball goal doesn't seem to fall in that category, especially if you do move it around. Lay it on its back and put it in the garage for one night. (it is temporary storage, right?) ;)

As an example, the county ordinance said that my racecar and trailer had to be on a "prepared surface"......asphalt, concrete, or gravel......they didn't count on the trailer being parked on top of 4 bags of gravel "prepared" for the occasion. Then, allot like AggieDave's suggestion, they didn't count on my racecar being decorated with Christmas lights and parked in the front yard for the holidays one year either. (my neighbors ignore me now........I don't know why.)

I know it can get serious...and I can't even begin to tell you how idiotic I think MOST of it is. Yes, there are legitimate issues.......but a basketball hoop isn't one of them.

I hope it works out for you!

I should probably add a disclaimer that "your results may vary" if you try any of the stuff I've gotten away with.