Yoshi

question for tandem I's

As a part time TM last year I made $700. I had tax write offs for up to $4800. :D

You really have 4 choices... do Tandems full time and never really get to fun jump again at the level you are now, Do "oncall" and be at the whim of the DZ if you work or not and really never make any $ but get to fun jump like always. You can be weekend staff and do tandems, but really don't get to fun jump since you are doing the wait for student thing, or you can be weekend staff and plan on making no money because you pass up tandems to funjump.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I was going to suggest doing the part-time thing and writing using that as a basis to write off your other business expenses. Gives you a chance to get some experience, and still get some financial benefit as well.

As for WHO you'll be taking, got a funny story about that one...I was working at Skydive Monterey Bay last summer, and had occasion to take a very petite, VERY pretty young lady on her 21st birthday. Someone was talking to me (in fact, I believe it was our very own Midget Tequila Monster, theAnvil) and said "Man, that's why I'd like to get my tandem rating." I walked him over to the briefing area, and showed him the 10 guys who were watching the Eclipse video. They ranged in age from 20 to 50, size from small to linebacker, and smell from fairly normal to oozing beer sweat and BO. I said: "Yeah...except you have to work your way through ALL these guys to get ONE like her."

Seems to have knocked his enthusiasm down a notch or two...;)

Seriously, just assume you'll get a wide range of sizes and people, and learn to handle every one. Of course, you may even angle for the "chunky money"; most DZ's charge a premium over certain weights, and that generally goes straight in the TM's pocket.
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash

good point about making a little extra for bigger passengers.. I want to wait until I have some experience before tking some heffers though... but after I have a handfull of tandems under my belt I will welcome any student. yes..even the old fat smelly ones:)

Everyone's made good points, but, no one mentioned how much time you'll spend away from home. It can be hard on the family life.

I made about $4400 part time last year and am comfortable with that.

Keith

''Always do sober what you said you would do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.'' - Ernest Hemingway

yeah thats true.. but my wife being a pharmacist has a pretty odd schedule and works every other weekend, so it wont be all that bad considering the alternative: working in this cage of a job...damn cubicles...i feel like I am a character in "office space" the movie

Well, in the 6 months last year that I had my TM (got it in June) I made a bit over $6k. After paying off the TM course, the jumps and all the jumps I did to get my numbers to 500 so I could be a TM, I think I actually "made" almost $2k. Basically, for me being a TM is very fulfilling on its own, the pay is a nice bonus, which pays for fun jumps, some new gear and some bills.

Now, if I was also a AFF and a Rigger, then I could have made some decent money. Well, decent as in a 23yr old college student.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

my wife being a pharmacist has a pretty odd schedule and works every other weekend

Here's a thought, why not get yourself on the weekend rota at the DZ working every other weekend, matching your wife's schedule. That way you can earn a bit of cash, do your fun jumps yet still be free to spend time with your wife on her free weekends. Maybe a good compromise?

I'd also suggest from what you have posted is not the fact that you don't want a regular job, maybe it is just the regular job you have at the moment? How about trying to get a job in a slightly different field that might be more challenging. Then you can still have a fixed income, work at the DZ every other weekend and have a happy marriage. You won't earn much at the DZ but at you will probably earn enough to pay for your FUN jumps.

Will

I do agree with part of that. My job isnt very challenging or rewarding in a manner. I am an artist by trade (BFA in photography, painting, furnature design) but I somehow landed myself in a mortgage career, well more of a job than a career. There have been quite a few helpful ideas and tips and comments made...I appreciate the help. For now I plan to stay where I am until I have a really firm grasp of what will happen to my lifestyle and financial well being when I choose to venture outside of what I do currently.

thanks again