Merrick

Body for Life.... Again.

Ever since this last thread on the Body for Life Program... http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=911717;page=2;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25; ...Pam and I have seriously been considering trying it. We've been working out consistantly for about a year now, but just aren't seeing the kind of results we expected (nevermind the 3 months over the holidays we took a break and ate whatever the hell we wanted;)). So, wanted to ask a few questions of those of you who actually have tried it.

One of you mentioned that you do not have to use the EAS products. Exactly how big of a pain in the ass is it to NOT use them? Right now I'm about 195 w/ 12% bodyfat, personally I'd like to drop the bodyfat, but not lose any actual weight, maybe even gain 5 - 10lbs. So, I borrowed a friend's book for a few days to look over, just to see if I was really interrested, and after looking at the sample workout week it seemed like it has you seriously undertraining each muscle group. Keep in mind I haven't tried any of it yet, but considering the goals that I have it just doesn't seem like enough... then again, maybe I've overtrained in the past. Was just curious what you all thought about this, and the program in general, thanks!

Blues!
Merrick

it seemed like it has you seriously undertraining each muscle group.

For someone who is used to workingout, yeah, but for your average American fat-ass, no, its just about right for a starting point.

You don't have to use EAS' products, although supplements can help you achieve your goals (as long as you have a proper diet/workout regime).

For instance, I use Designer Protein, although I use Phosphogen by EAS for creatine. I have Lipodrene for an ephedra stack as well (which will be a thing of the past soon[:/]).

You know, you can always add sets to the excersizes they have in the book, and adding weight doesn't hurt either.:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

For someone who is used to workingout, yeah, but for your average American fat-ass, no, its just about right for a starting point.

That's kind of what I thought. Looked like they were only doing one exercise per muscle group, but probably doing it a little more intensly than I usually do:$.

I used to use a Whey protein and take Xenadrine (pre-ephedra free), but I can't work out until 6:00pm and last time I took it after 5:00 I was up until 3:00am. LOL Thanks Dave.

Blues!
Merrick

I did half of the BFL. You don't have to use ALL EAS products but you HAVE to use at least ONE! AND show proof that you did. I.E. receipt.

About not getting the gains you wanted. That means one thing. You need to change something. Everyone is diff. One person gets big gains from lets say bench press and do not need to add another exercise to get the results for chest. Where you might have to hit the peck deck to get the same results.
Bottomless Beers and Blue Skies!

* Brother_Brian *
D.S.W.F.S.B. #2

I did half of the BFL. You don't have to use ALL EAS products but you HAVE to use at least ONE! AND show proof that you did. I.E. receipt.

Thats right,

and to win, you better have a damn good success story... just think of a good one that would sound like one of those late night infomercials..Thats what they want...
http://sexygirlabs.com/url]

I doubt either of us will enter the contest, well I know I won't - I have ideas for how I want to look, but I don't think I have the time or motivation to look better then everyone else that enters. Anywho, what about the having to do cardio in the morning? Is that a requirement for it to work (since it says on an empty stomach) or can you do it in the evening? I just don't see myself sticking with driving to the gym 15 mins away at 5 in the morning. I'm the type who sets her clock forward so she can hit the snooze 3 times before getting up! :D

I do like the idea behind BFL though. Too low carbs makes me a very unpleasant, tired person, so that didn't work for long. It'd be nice to find a healthy program that works to finish off what I started last year!

Pam

I had good luck with BFL. I definately reccomend the Eating for Life book too. Great recipes, and like the program, it's not complicated or extreme....I think the use of EAS suppliments isn't critical unless you're looking for a 'vette and a check. You should probably use somebodys protein shakes though. I can't say enough about creatine also, great stuff, but like with everything else, you have to use it correctly.

Skydiving isn't scary;...but clowns...CLOWNS are scary!

As far as not getting the results you wanted, how often do you change your weight training program, meaning how many weeks do you go doing the same exercise/machine for the same muscle? I was told by several different trainers that lack of results is usually attributed to one of two things: Overtraining, or more likely getting stuck doing the same exact exercises over a long period of time.

Overtraining, or more likely getting stuck doing the same exact exercises over a long period of time.

Yes and no, since that's the very over simplified answer.

Overtraining is easy to do, but unless you're really motivated, most folks will burn out in a matter of 2-3 weeks, so it wouldn't matter anyways.

Also, changing your workout routine too often won't give you a base to figure out which excersizes your benifits your body the most. For instance, for me I know Flat Bench gives me better results and a much better workout then Flat Bench Dumbell Press. It took a bit of time to figure out if it was just what I thought I was feeling or if it shows up in how my body performs and looks.

Also, nutrition is the killer for results. If you workout hard, but still eat 12-big mac sammiches and a diet coke everyday, you'll still look like shit.:P:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If you actually hit his intensity level 10 on each exercise, you will not be able to exercise that muscle group any more. That is what intensity level 10 means. Part of the reason it is so hard is that you really have to push yourself. I would consistently come close to death in the last 3 minutes of my runs, even though I was only running for 20 minutes total.

Brent

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

yup, thats exactly right. when i started the program i looked at the exercise routine and thought it would not do anything cuz it wasnt very long. once i actually started tho, it's a different story. i have actually gained a little weight in muscle and tho i am only 5 weeks into it i have noticed a difference in appearance. not to mention the fact i feel tons better because i am in better shape.

the real trick, tho, as was mentioned, is to actually push yourself to the edge.