ripcord4

Irvin BPU

A question for our military riggers here - or anyone that knows: I have an Irvin Barometric Power Unit, Type B/2, Mk 2, Ref. No 15A/1482 according to the tag. It is in a fitted wooden case and appears new. Can anyone identify what chutes/aircraft this was used in/on? I'm sure it is obsolete but I would like to know more about it. Thanks all!

I would also like to see a picture of the thing if you have one available. I think it is an "automatic opening device" used on ejection seats for British Canberra aircraft ( what the U.S. called B-57 ). I also think I've seen something like that on a seat that came out of a B-58, but I could be wrong about where that seat came from.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

Bertt,

I cannot get the photos reduced small enough to post here. Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send you the pics. I have pretty much (with help from Lou Diamond) narrowed it down to what you say but I would like to ID the aircraft it is used in.

The B2/MK2 was used on a plethora of bailout systems. The last ones that I know of, to go into service, were used for some testing on the Nimrod aircraft in the late 80's/ early 90's. My old boss designed this device and it really is an elegant mechanism. Does the one you have still have the wax paper cover on the outside faces of the case? This would indicate that it really is un-used. The device is no-longer in-service.