mnischalke

Senate OKs Assault Weapons Extention...

You left out that cops now have more rights than us "ordinary" citizens. Why do cops get exempted but not qualified CCW holders?

I truly and deeply hope the House comes through for us on this one. I'd rather have nothing go through than this load.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

>and the elimination of gunshows.

Is it really the elimination of gunshows, or the elimination of over-the-counter sales of weapons at gunshows? I mean, you can't buy most of the aircraft at Oshkosh over the counter, but it still makes for a pretty good airplane exhibit.

I got a feeling this whole bill is now dead. Then again, I never thought the fucks in the Senate would have pulled this kind of shit knowing Bush said he would only sign a "clean bill."

Maybe this is a litmus test for the real assault weapons ban vote in september.

I know of at least one senator who will NOT have my vote in the next election. I will also try to persuade as many of his constituents not to vote for him as possible. I'll be advising him of that today.>:(

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

Never been to a gunshow huh?

With this definition, we might as well go to either a regular gun store or a museum. This is the first step in eliminating private person-to-person transactions--and depending upon interpretations, it may do that already. Not a big deal you say? Probably not, if you don't think it's a big deal becoming a felon by giving your son his great grandpa's heirloom .22.

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

>Never been to a gunshow huh?

Was to one in college. Seemed like primarily a place to show off one's wares. I don't know what the laws were in Massachusetts at that point, but I didn't see a lot of people handing over money and walking out with weapons.

Either you are simply antigun or you are horribly misinformed. The guns we are talking about are used in less than 2% of all the crimes involving guns. Further, firearms are used in only 28% of all homocides, robberies and aggrivated assaults according to the fbi. Crimes committed with the types of guns branded as "assault weapons" have also not decreased in the 10 years of the ban! This solves nothing!!!!

Go here and learn.

Edit: For all the non-math types: so-called "assault weapons" are only used in one-half of one percent (0.56%) of homocides, robberies and aggrivated assaults.

mike

Is it really the elimination of gunshows, or the elimination of over-the-counter sales of weapons at gunshows? I mean, you can't buy most of the aircraft at Oshkosh over the counter, but it still makes for a pretty good airplane exhibit.

McCain Amdt. No. 2636; To require criminal background checks on all firearms transactions occurring at events that provide a venue for the sale, offer for sale, transfer, or exchange of firearms, and for other purposes.

It's an attempt to kill all person to person sales. What qualifies as an event? Is it an event when I have three friends in my living room? What if we are part of a club? What if it is a club meeting?

All dealers have to be federally licensed. To keep that license, they run an NICS background on every sale. This only affects someone attending who might want to sell a couple of guns. I would argue [and I'm sure an antigun Atty Gen would as well] that this is far more than gun shows.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

It seems as if this is current legislation that was set to expire and has just been extended.

Not extended just yet. There are still a few steps within Congress and the White House this bill must take.

mike

I have been to more gun shows that i can count all in Louisiana. I purchased a rugar 10/22 carbine from a vender and walked out of the convention center with the weapon. This was back when the instant background check program for handguns was just going into effect. It looks like they are trying to make it such a pain in the ass to go buy a firearm that people just won't go and therefore put gunshows out of buisness.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

Am I completely misunderstanding this? It seems as if this is current legislation that was set to expire and has just been extended. Which means - nothing new?

Depending on the text, there were versions floating around that expanded on the ban, not just extended.

This law should never have been passed to begin with. It's either (A) useless feel-good fluff or (B) a step towards banning all privately held firearms.

It was set to expire because they couldn't get the votes to make it permanent. For this to go through again is heinous.
witty subliminal message
1*

Was to one in college. Seemed like primarily a place to show off one's wares. I don't know what the laws were in Massachusetts at that point, but I didn't see a lot of people handing over money and walking out with weapons.

Must not have been a busy show.

Private attendees can walk in and out with their own firearms. [why do you insist on calling them weapons?] They can also trade, swap, loan, or sell the same as they can at home or anywhere else.

Until this bill, anyway.
witty subliminal message
1*

I know two senators who have kept my faith and have earned my vote, and I'll be informing them of that.

Alabama: Sessions (R-AL), Nay Shelby (R-AL), Nay

I'd rather have the bill die than have it go through the way it looks in the Senate right now.
witty subliminal message
1*

Must not have been a busy show.

Private attendees can walk in and out with their own firearms. [why do you insist on calling them weapons?] They can also trade, swap, loan, or sell the same as they can at home or anywhere else.

Until this bill, anyway.

They are weapons are they not?

Never go to a DZ strip show.

That depends on how they are used, does it not? Or do you insist on calling knives, baseball bats, scissors, your hands, the thorns on roses, and your chairs weapons, weapons, weapons, weapons, weapons, and weapons?

1. An instrument of offensive of defensive combat; something to fight with; anything used, or designed to be used, in destroying, defeating, or injuring an enemy

It is a tool. Nothing more, nothing less.
witty subliminal message
1*

Also everyone thinks the "assault weapons" that they are talking about are "fully auto" and that is not what it is about. Fully auto guns were taken care of in the 80's. The weapons they are after are just like a regular hunting weapon they fire single shot, and are no deadlier than any other non assault rifle. They are out to get them b/c they "look" evil
let me show you. The first rifle is a single shot rifle that looks like a ak-47, but it isn't that is what they are after, in reality it is just like the last picture a plain old hunting rifle. They say that a bayonet, and a pistol grip makes it a "assault weapon", but in reality how many drive by bayonettings have you heard about? It is scared gun haters that have no clue what they are talking about, just along for the ride on what someone else said that is fucking it all up in the government.:)

Am I completely misunderstanding this? It seems as if this is current legislation that was set to expire and has just been extended. Which means - nothing new?

What you're missing is why there was an expiration date in the first place. The law was agreed to, grudgingly, with the stipulation that if it didn't have an impact on gun violence that it be allowed to lapse so as not to restrict law abiding citizens for no benefit. It's been 10 years, there has been no reduction in gun related crime due to these laws, in fact, otherwise law abiding citizens now became criminals if they unwittingly violated one of these laws that have nothing to do with anything except cosmetic features on a gun and the round capacity of magazines.

Bottom line is the law was stupid and useless, it's been around for 10 years and has not done anything to make anyone "safer", and it's just a bad idea to have laws that serve no purpose.

Depending on the text, there were versions floating around that expanded on the ban, not just extended.

Still a little confused - could Bush veto this as if it were regular legislation, or is it somehow expempt from veto because it was already passed? Thanks for the civics lesson.

That depends on how they are used, does it not? Or do you insist on calling knives, baseball bats, scissors, your hands, the thorns on roses, and your chairs weapons, weapons, weapons, weapons, weapons, and weapons?

1. An instrument of offensive of defensive combat; something to fight with; anything used, or designed to be used, in destroying, defeating, or injuring an enemy

It is a tool. Nothing more, nothing less.

Yes it is a tool and nothing more, but tools have purposes, some primary, some secondary. Your list only pointed out that things can be used other than for their intended purposes. I'd say it's fairly clear that a gun's primary purpose is to kill. Now, if that's not it's primary purpose, I'd say it's poorly designed.

Never go to a DZ strip show.