julesey

Dreamweaver vs. Frontpage

Have a question for all of you who maintain their own websites. Do you use Dreamweaver, Frontpage, or something else? I know Frontpage is dependent upon a lot of "coding." Is Dreamweaver the same way? I'd like the most user friendly one. Any advice on starting a webpage and your experiences would be most helpful! Thank you in advance,

Jules

"I know it's tuna. But it says chicken. By the sea."

for a simple page, or a simple site, vi (or notetab/notepad for windows) is the cheapest way to go, and it forces you to learn some html. ;) for a larger site, i prefer dreamweaver over frontpage because it doesn't suck or kludge up your code so much.

ymmv.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

If you want a WYSIWYG, Dreamweaver is the way to go. I think it's pretty easy to use (not that I've had much time lately to use it).

I've used Frontpage, and I think it sucks.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

I have a lot of experience here... and in my opinion... I say Dreamweaver.

There are easier and cheaper programs if you just want to throw something up and be done.

But... GoLive, FrontPage, HomeSite and all of those pretty much suck compared to Dreamweaver.

Just my 2 cents.

PM me if you need any other advice. I'll try to help you out. :P

for a simple page, or a simple site, vi (or notetab/notepad for windows) is the cheapest way to go, and it forces you to learn some html. ;) for a larger site, i prefer dreamweaver over frontpage because it doesn't suck or kludge up your code so much.

ymmv.

I agree completely. I put my pages together with bare code (but Katie fiddled with them in frontpage because she was bored). Knowing HTML is important to being able to fix your pages should one of your trusty WYSIWYG's take a shit on you. Not being able to open a page and figure out the source code in notepad means that you will eventually have to rely on others to fix your problems. FWIW though, throwing stuff together in frontpage is incredibly fast and easy; it just makes for incredibly dirty code.

I use Notepad. If you *have* to use one of those two programs, use Dreamweaver.

Then you're not using FP extensions, which most admins will not put on their servers. They open up HUGE holes in the security.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I agree with the others....Dreamweaver is incredibly easy to use.

I usually just use notepad or some other text editor because I like a better level of control that you don't get with Dreamweaver.

Jump
Scars remind us that the past is real

Thanks guys!!! I am a novice, obviously, so I want the most user friendly program I can get. My site will be simple as I don't need alot of bells and whistles.

I usually just use notepad or some other text editor because I like a better level of control that you don't get with Dreamweaver.

What do you mean by "better level of control"?

Dreamweaver to a point and FP BIG TIME, screws with code. Not only that, but its so much easier to have embedded tables by coding it out by hand, then trying to get an editor to do it. I've found that if I try to even use Dreamweaver to do that, it takes literally 2-3 times as long, if I just did it by hand.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Have a question for all of you who maintain their own websites. Do you use Dreamweaver, Frontpage, or something else? I know Frontpage is dependent upon a lot of "coding." Is Dreamweaver the same way? I'd like the most user friendly one. Any advice on starting a webpage and your experiences would be most helpful! Thank you in advance,

Jules

OK, all you web folks - flame away if you must, but I have to point out another option that MAY be a good choice.

There are some people who want a simple website who would be very happy to not deal with installing and learning ANY software, let alone HTML code.

There are options for template-based, walk you through step-by-step, very inexpensive, VERY easy to build/maintain site builders. For example:

http://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/website.asp
http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/

Dreamweaver is essentially point, click - viola. You don't NEED to know html to make a page but it helps. So basically you are relying on the program to do the coding for you. While that is nice in some cases, I like doing the coding myself. Call me old school but I feel if I've coded it by hand, I am more in tune with the program/page/what have you and can better diagnose and deal with any problems that arise or tune it to particular tastes.

Jump
Scars remind us that the past is real

There are options for template-based, walk you through step-by-step, very inexpensive, VERY easy to build/maintain site builders. For example:

have you used these personally? Are thre limits as to what you can do with these? Are there plenty of options available?

Those look really great!!! How much time to you spend maintaining them? Do you recommend a certain company to purchase a domain name from?

Too much time mostly ;) As for hosting, there are lots of free hosts out there, eg. www.geocities.com or through your ISP you may have webspace available.

If you want to buy a domain and host your own site, you should decide on how much you want to spend. I use http://www.powweb.com for most of my clients, found they were priced well vs. features.

Again just my 2 cents!

~Jeff

I also use Powweb for my personal domain. The only thing it doesn't handle too well are php scripts.

But it's really well-priced for your basic hosting package.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Dreamweaver to a point and FP BIG TIME, screws with code. Not only that, but its so much easier to have embedded tables by coding it out by hand, then trying to get an editor to do it. I've found that if I try to even use Dreamweaver to do that, it takes literally 2-3 times as long, if I just did it by hand.

I disagree, although I teach notepad to first time HTML'ers so they learn how to read/write HTML. Dreamweaver is an invaluable tool. Dreamweaver does not mess with the code and infact makes reading the code much easier. It also allows you to do MANY things that in Notepad could take hours.

Again, just my 2 cents!

~Jeff

If you want to buy a domain and host your own site, you should decide on how much you want to spend. I use http://www.powweb.com for most of my clients, found they were priced well vs. features.

This looks like a really good deal. I might look into this further. What appeals to me is the "customer service." Think I'll be needing it. :)

I also use Powweb for my personal domain. The only thing it doesn't handle too well are php scripts.

But it's really well-priced for your basic hosting package.

WHAT????!!!!!???? Handles all my PHP fine? Never had a problem? Of the 7 sites I have hosted there they all run some sort of PHP and MySQL and I have never had a problem?

~Jeff

This looks like a really good deal. I might look into this further. What appeals to me is the "customer service." Think I'll be needing it. :)

If you need a hand PM me or email me anytime!

Good luck!

~Jeff ;)