skyjunior

My broken back

I broke my back{60% crush of L-1} on January 5th of this year in a work related accident. I got a really cool ride in an ambulance by A shift of the Mellville MO fire department. The paramedics did a great job as for as I was concerned and I sure am grateful for their quick response and help. I spent six days in the hospital and for a while there I was scared silly that I would not ever be able to walk without some sort of support. I have been in a plastic trunk cast for the last two months and have one more month of the cast. After that I think I am supposed to go through two to three months of physical and occupational therapy. Then hi ho hi ho it is back to work I go. My doc has said that I can start jumping again early 2005. So this year I will not be doing any tandems or videos but the DZO has said I will be able to do manifest, first jump course and take the tandem students train them and suit/harness them for the tandem instructors. I must say I am so grateful that my accident was not any worse and that I should be full on 100% in a year. I have been really lucky to have friends call and visit during my recovery. My wife has been an absolute saint and I do not know what I would have done without such a loving caring woman. The last several years I have made Quincy and Rantool and I plan on being there this year just in a non jumping capacity. I have always given a safety speech on the ride to altitude, but I wont be giving it this year. So all you skygods, skyjuniors, jumpers, tandem instructors, pilots, employed, unemployed, wuffos, wannabes, strangers, acquaintances and friends be safe.
PLEASE REMEMB

We are gonna miss that 10,000 feet safety check....but does this mean that the Rantoul Quantum Leap kitchen will be up and running again this year?? Oh Yeah and when you gonna come down and have a few Beers with the Boys Bill....we all miss the sky Junior.
Heal Quick...

PLEASE REMEMBER THE GROUND IS HARD

That's why I surf over it and refrain from running into it! Glad you have a prognosis for coming back. I have a friend that has 700+ jumps and SERIOUSLY broke his back under a military round. Retained hardware and all. He doesn't jump anymore. [:/]

the brace is no fun is it do you get the fun chin and base of the head support plates...i hope your recovery is going well best wishes from one cripple to the next.... t7 compression fracture here...snowboardin :o

i used to do alot of things ....skydiving wont be one of them :)

I'm sorry to hear of your accident, but am glad that you wil recover and jump again.. Also great the your DZ will let you do the things that you are going to do there.
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

Good to hear theres no nerve damage. Ive did the same thing in May last year, spent 17 days in hospital and got a chunk taken out of my hip and put in the spine and a couple of rods too...plus a back brace for 4 months. Still not meant to be jumping, but I gave in to temptation in December and been jumping since.

Get to see my Doc in a week, he's not gonna be a happy camper if he finds out ive been jumping again:P

Hey Skymick, sorry to hear about your troubles, but glad to hear you are doing well. I was about one degree to having to get an operation, and I was not looking forword to having my stomach cut open. Hey we had the AU CRW 4 man team train at our dropzone this past summer. The team was sure a bunch of good guys and funny as can be.
PLEASE REMEMB

Bill,

Glad to hear that you're doing OK considering what happened.

It appears that I'll be with you in the NON jumping capacity for Rantoul also!!

See you around the DZ. There's always something that we can learn from you out there.

Get healed quick bro.

Rick

There's no truer sense of flying than sky diving," Scott Cowan

Luckily they went in from the back for me, so it was a relatively minor operation (4 hours! :S)

Hey we had the AU CRW 4 man team train at our dropzone this past summer. The team was sure a bunch of good guys and funny as can be.

Yeah I know some of those bozos, Ralph from the team is my CI! :)

here is my ultra stlyish back brace i added a few mods the paint and the phat plush toxic cow faux fur to the head and chin pads...oh and can you tell my cats happy to have me home broke...shes never been pet so much in her life...captive audience so to speak

i used to do alot of things ....skydiving wont be one of them :)