BASE813

First American in Space

Even in orbit, you're in a "low" gravity environment. You're still affected by gravity. It's not really zero "G."

It'd be lower gravity, which would pull you down, but in conjunction with forward momentum (objects in orbit) you are actually in a state of constant freefall, falling over the edge of the earth. So lower gravity because your distance from the earth, but definately still being affected by gravity.
Is there ever a place where there is ZERO gravity? And where does the forces become so minature that it is neglegable?
Also, you are moving earth right now. If everyone ran to one spot on earth, and concentrated our mass on one point, we would make considerable changes to the earth's rotation and orbit.

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

If everyone ran to one spot on earth, and concentrated our mass on one point, we would make considerable changes to the earth's rotation and orbit.

Cool. Where should we all meet for a "Pile on!" :P:D
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Actually, the standard for space begins at 62 miles. Any flight above that is considered to be a space flight.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Also, you are moving earth right now. If everyone ran to one spot on earth, and concentrated our mass on one point, we would make considerable changes to the earth's rotation and orbit.

Nonsense.

1. The Earth is about 10 trillion times as massive as the entire human population combined. Any effect would be so small as to be unmeasurable.

2. We are part of the Earth, nothing we can do short of launching rockets into deep space changes the motion of its center of mass (aka orbit).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Nonsense.

1. The Earth is about 10 trillion times as massive as the entire human population combined. Any effect would be so small as to be unmeasurable.

2. We are part of the Earth, nothing we can do short of launching rockets into deep space changes the motion of its center of mass (aka orbit).

This is only what I have been taught. I 'pologize if this is incorrect. Interesting though, i'll do some research on it. What if it spanned over time? Maybe thats what my prof. was saying.

So, I have a mission on NASA's zero-G aircraft next week.

Roughly 25 - 30 seconds of zero-G on each parabola. Can I log that as freefall time?!!!B|

That's if the planes not broke again!:S

How many of those do you do in one mission? And what is the object of the exercise? (Other than havin a sweet time floatin around!)

So, I have a mission on NASA's zero-G aircraft next week.

Roughly 25 - 30 seconds of zero-G on each parabola. Can I log that as freefall time?!!!B|

That's if the planes not broke again!:S

How many of those do you do in one mission? And what is the object of the exercise? (Other than havin a sweet time floatin around!)

It's a perk of my job. We have several colleges in town that are flying experiment packages on board. I train them in our altitude chamber, then they get to fly on the Comet.

Normal day on the KC-135 is anywhere from 40 to 50 parabolas. Out over the gulf of mexico. Takes about 2+ hours to complete...... Soooo much fun....B|

Is there ever a place where there is ZERO gravity? And where does the forces become so minature that it is neglegable?

No, there is never Zero gravity as near as we can tell in observable space. The second part, as I understand it, is one of those "never" from a certain point of view deals.
Faith in a holy cause is to a considerable extent a substitute for lost faith in ourselves.
-Eric Hoffer -
Check out these Videos

On point one:
I don't think mass has anything to do with it. It would have no effect at all (Newton - Principia Law III Corollary 4).

On point two:
Not sure about this one, it would seem that it would change the dynamics of spacetime locally, but it would have to be an awful lot of mass to be able to tell.
Faith in a holy cause is to a considerable extent a substitute for lost faith in ourselves.
-Eric Hoffer -
Check out these Videos

Dude...that is Bad Ass!!!

Gotta agree with ya! It was kinda a selling point for me on the suit, as it was there when I bought it. It also makes it a non seller for me from the moment I bought it. If I stop jumping it, I frame it, LOL.

When Michael knows more about meeting him, I'll be on cloud 9. Cameras, pictures, signatures, oh, and don't forget, VIDEO!
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Uh, sorry, but "no".

By NASA standards, "space" begins at 50 miles (Kittinger went to about 17), which is why some X-15 test pilots earned astronaut wings in the early 60's.

"December 14, 1959 - With AFFTC test pilot Capt. Joe B. Jordan at the controls, a Lockheed F-104C became the first jet-powered (i.e., air-breathing) aircraft to climb above 100,000 feet as it soared to a peak altitude of 103,389 feet above Edwards AFB."

Source: "Edwards AFB Milestones".

This in no way diminishes Col Joe's achievement, because unlike the other pilots, Col Joe did it WITHOUT AN AIRPLANE. B|

Edit to add: Kittinger's jump is in the Guinness Book, but that doesn't make it "official". An aviation record, in order to be considered "official", must be recognized by the Federation Aeronautique Internationale (FAI) in Geneva.

In 1962, Soviet Air Force Captain Yevgeny Andreyev made a jump from 82,000 ft that was witnessed by FAI officials, and still stands.

Col Michel Fournier is still trying. I was there two years ago (Sept 2002) when he made his first full-up attempt to beat Andreyev/Kittinger. It didn't work out that time, or last year. [:/]

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."