TheBile

Road Rage

(UK - drive on the left side)
I was driving over the mountain on the way to work and got stuck behind this woman driving a white BMW 318i. It was clear and dry driving conditions, traffic was minimal and even though the twisty road was 40mph limit, she refused to go faster than 25mph, braking whenever a vehicle came towards her on the other side of the road. Stuck behind this obviously nervous driver I started to feel the road-rage build inside me. As we came to a left turn junction at the top of the mountain where I turn off I was hoping that she would go straight on. Did she hell ! She indicated to turn left. This left junction has a parallel sliproad to the main road which is only about 100yards in length. In an instant I thought "I'll be buggered if I'm following you down this road at your slow ass pace", so I floored the accelerator, flew past her, cut in front of her, slammed on the anchors and made the 90degree left turn in front of her, all in the space of that 100yards. Totally illegal, totally dangerous, totally irresponsible but at the time I didn't care. I was in front of her and that was all that mattered. I floored it down the road and because I was still frustrated I ended up doing 75mph in a 60mph zone beofre I calmed down. And all this whilst not wearing a seat-belt.

Amazes me how you can morph into someone your not behind the wheel of a vehicle.

Any incidents of road rage you want to admit to ?
Gerb

I stir feelings in others they themselves don't understand. KA'CHOW !

This was a few years ago. I was driving on the expressway in the far right lane. This assmunch in a cadillac comes down an entrance ramp at about 30MPH. Given our positions and speed differences, I could only assume that he was gonna merge in behind me. No. This guy merges in without looking and I damn near rear end him at 60MPH. So, in a fit of rage I moved around to get in front of him then slammed on my brakes taking both of us down to about 5MPH before coming off my brakes. Looking back it was really really stupid.

"UK - drive on the left side"
Just as well, so does everybody else.:)

"Any incidents of road rage you want to admit to ?"

No, not without checking with my lawyer.;) But I was talking with a colleague who got really scared by this evil looking wild eyed dude in a Rav4, down there in the Welsh Mountains. Almost forced her off the road in her new white beamer........B|

Clunk click Gerb, if it all goes wrong out there in the boonies you could be lieing in a ditch for a long and painful time. It may be hours before a white BMW passes by and stops to offer assistance.B|:D

Joking aside, and trying to get the image of Cerys Matthews out of my mind. When the red mist rises, I tend to change the choonz, or pull over for some chill time.
In 5 minutes the hold up will be couple of miles in front, and no longer bugging you.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Here in SA you'd have forced her to a standstill and then shot her in the head, after nailing the baby in the car seat.

Some things just shouldn't be tolerated.

t

Hmmmmm......I'm sensing some frustration in you today Tonto. You wouldn't happen to be grounded for some reason would you ? [:/];)
Gerb

I used to suffer from road rage. One day on my way to Oslo airport (I used to work there) I came up to this queue on the motorway going about 40km. This was really fustrating as I hated the 1 1/2 hour drive to work everyday.

After sitting in the queue for about 15 mins I was really fuming. Eventually I came to a hill top and could see the cause of the problem.

It was an uniformed police car going at just under the speed limit. This of course caused the tailback. Of course nobody dared to pass and risk getting a fine.

I could not stand it anymore so I drove up the fast lane and passed the cop. I then put my emergency blinkers on and signalled for him to stop.

As soon as he stopped behind me. I got out and walked over to him and gave him a lecture about causing queues on the motorway. At first the policeman could not belive he was pulled over to get a lecture and soon became as angry as I was. Luckily, after a few choice words each way we calmed down and parted on fairly amicable terms. I did get a stern warning that it was not my job to police the police and if I did it again he would arrest me.

Hmmmmm......I'm sensing some frustration in you today Tonto. You wouldn't happen to be grounded for some reason would you ? [:/];)

Grounded... no. But the weather's been marginal lately and I managed only 20 dives this past weekend out of the 36 I had manifested. That sucks.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I hate doing this, its so bloody 'poor little me' and I really hate giving that impression, but I've got to lay it out for you, Gerb.

In July 1991 I was driving into Liverpool on the M62. It was a sunny, clear day, dry road and very light traffic.

I was in the middle lane doing about 75mph. I pulled into the fast last to overtake a car doing about 70 mph. As soon as I started overtaking, the car I was trying to overtake speeded up and pulled into the fast lane infront of me, although he wasn't overtaking anyone.

I dropped back into the middle lane, the other car dropped back into the middle lane and slowed down. I went to overtake him again and the same thing happened.

I got slightly pissed off, he was obviously stopping me from overtaking him for some spurious reason and I got more and more determined to get in front of him.

The last time I went to overtake him (my speed had been increasing with each attempt, this time I was doing about 80 I'm told), he pulled out once again, but this time too late and ended up hitting the front of my car with the rear of his.

My car hit the central reservation and flipped.

I wasn't wearing a seatbelt.

Injuries:
Fractured vertebrae (level T8)
Fractured right ulna
Fractured right radius
Fractured left femur
Fractured left patella
11 fractured ribs
Punctured lung

Result:
Intensive care for 1 month - ventillated for 2 weeks.
Spinal Unit for 5 months
Rehab for 3 months - but ongoing.
Incomplete paraplegia - use wheelchair for any distance over 20 yards, crutches otherwise.

Driver of other car didn't stop, was never caught. My claim was thrown out by the Criminal Injuries Compensation Board because I wasn't wearing a seatbelt.

Now, I have completely come to terms with all this, not least because I helped to create the situation and it could (should) have been much more serious. But I'd hate to see you, Gerb, end up in a similar, or worse, scenario. After all your attitude as a crip might suck ;)

Wear your seat belt, please.
Next Mood Swing: 6 minutes

Jesus ! [:/]

I stopped wearing a seatbelt back in 1992. I did make a concerted effort to clunk-click during the summer of 4 years ago. Depression and an associated deathwish stopped me wearing it again. Now, because it's such a habit, I just 'forget' to put it on.

Excuses, Excuses, Excuses I know, but that's the situation.

Your words will hopefully change that habit to putting it back on.
Gerb

"rage" can be a righteous term in some circles and I don't like the term 'road rage'.

I prefer "road tantrum" as it really describes the mentality better.

If you really want to get into semantics, 'aggressive' driving is a good thing, not a bad thing - it should mean stopping when you are supposed to stop, going when you are supposed to go, signalling clearly, being clear and definitive about your actions. I think people really mean 'hostile' driving or 'confrontational' driving.

Either way, big babies. Ditto for overly cautious types, that's just as dangerous in many cases.

Pittsburgh was the worst for passive driving when we lived there. Example, people would stop when they have the right away and then try to wave us through our stop sign. Just go, now we both are delayed because you don't know the rules and the uncertainty they cause at each intersection can't be safe - oh, and the big hair is hard to see around.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

If you really want to get into semantics, 'aggressive' driving is a good thing, not a bad thing - it should mean stopping when you are supposed to stop, going when you are supposed to go, signalling clearly, being clear and definitive about your actions. I think people really mean 'hostile' driving or 'confrontational' driving.

Yeah, I wanna get into semantics ;) I think assertive is a better word :P
Next Mood Swing: 6 minutes

Ballsy!

Foolish, but ballsy!

B|

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

SHE IS NOT A DUDE...oh, wait, you said road rage, not RoadRash. Sorry. Carry on. :P

Yeah, I'm convinced there is genetic coding somewhere that states the slower you make a person drive, the dumber they get, and another bit that says the dumber another person gets, the angrier it makes the rest of us. Facts of life, just keep it cool.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*