rjf98

ROAD TRIP

Ok, it's official. My resignation is complete on May 9th. I start terminal leave today.

I'll post about my midway point, but end point is Austin TX, from Laguna Niguel, CA.

I'll convince shark to leave Sunday after jumping and we'll spend the first night in Vegas.

Anyone wishing to send me off, please be at Elsinore on Saturday as we will be leaving shortly after sundown on Sunday. Anyone who has a DZ that flies during the week along the route and would like to make a jump with Sharky and I let us know.

Like I said... details on the Shark and Fisher Western US tour stops to follow.

B|

:(

I am sad to see you go but excited for you and your wife on getting back home. I'll be there on Saturday to celebrate in STYLE. And will look forward to seeing you back out here for Bridge the Gap and Chicks Rock!. . .oh, and can't wait to see the new rig this weekend!
FGF #6
Darcy

Where do you think you're going...you can't leave me....Rich...but...but...I haven't show you my matching.....yet....hahahaha!
"Love is doing small things with great love."

Lacrosse: Legally beating men with sticks since 1492

Where do you think you're going...you can't leave me....Rich...but...but...I haven't show you my matching.....yet....hahahaha!

Hey, I saw what you edited, Orchid! As much as I love ya, girl, we both know that Rich is waaaay too hooked on his wife to be anything less than a gentleman with us all.

Rich, we will miss you sooo much at Elsinore. :( Like Darcy said, I am happy for you and for your little lady, too. She is a complete sweetheart, and I know that you two will be very happy to be together at last in Texas. You two better come back and visit us as much as possible, ok? We love ya both! :)

Ok guys here is the ineinerary so far.

Las Vegas NV (Sunday night 4th)

Elkhorn NE Wed some time probably.

I haven't even looked at MapQuest yet, but I did just get off the phone with my uncle.

I know this isn't straight to TX, but that was never the point.

I haven't really received any replies outside of the normal peeps from Elsinore:( I love you guys, but maybe I'm not so popular outside of my little world[:/]

Come on now. Who want's to see Fish and the Shark???

Oh... And COME ON PD... get those new canopies here early this week so that I can be jumping them this weekend with my new VIGIL (hopefully here tomorrow):)

More new info.

Party on Saturday. In true TX form I am attempting to get a KEG of SHINER on Saturday. I should know tomorrow.

Also more updates on the Road Trip.

To Elkhorn I... sorry goose (shark)... we will pass through.. NV (Vegas anyone?), Utah via I70 so kind of a way from Salt Lake, but we could be convinced to detour, Colorado (right through Denver), all the way through NE. On the Road down to TX, Kansas (topeka and Witchita), OK Oklahoma City, and then back to the beautiful state of TX!!!!

Depending on how things go we will stop in CS on Saturday, or we will simply drive straight to Austin and then Hit CS after Easter Sunday with my family (like monday or later during the week) If I can convince him I'll tell shark to stay through the following weekend and jump at SDA for a couple of days (after he helps me move in to the new house);)

Richard,
I will be there Sat. but in the mean time, Elsinore will miss you. You bring your smile and up-beat ways to the students you work with. That makes for happy newbies. I will miss seeing you too.:P
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Well Rich... there really isn't too much that I can say other than you will be greatly missed by everyone at Elsinore; especially me. I owe so much to you - learning how to effectively back flip on exit :P, my 100th jump, my SCR, my first tandem, the Mr. Bill on this Saturday (no - you can't back out of it now), and above all else... an excellent friendship with both you & Ginny that I will forever cherish.

Elsinore will not be the same place without you so you better come back & visit often. And don't think you're getting rid of me, because Ginny & I have already discussed my first trip to Texas.

I think I may have to "officially" break in the new oven and pop out a few batches of cookies for this Saturday. Any requests Mr. Rich????

P.S. Just remember - you may not see me, and you may not hear me, but Ginny Patrol is on duty until your feet are firmly planted on TX soil. :ph34r:
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.

Well Rich, by now you & Shark should be tearing it up in Vegas on your way to your new home. It was too bad the weather didn't really work out for us this past weekend, but Saturday night was still a blast. I'll personally see to it that your fridge stays adequately stocked. And next time Shark tells me to go to Vons, the first place I will head will be Albertsons. No cookies for you Mark! (just kidding of course).;)

Enjoy the rest of your road trip and good luck to you & Ginny. We'll all see you in June for Bridge the Gap.
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.

B| Just flew in from Vegas a few hours ago. Yeah, we left the DZ around sunset as Rich made all the girls cry. And as true to his reputation as an AFF-I, his last AFF jump was just as entertaining. A repeat Level 2, his student "passed" to Level 2.5.:o:D On sunset load he tried to swoop the Sigma and almost took out Lewmonst.;) (Incidentally, she took-out Hoser hours before during an impromptu soccer game with the British Paras.)

Anyway, my memory is gone and I cannot recall events. I believe it took around 3.5 hours to get to Vegas. Once at the DoubleTree we got ready and took the shuttle to the strip, but the ride ended at the Mandalay. After that we did some early morning PT and double-timed it to Bellagio where I discovered how much fun the Craps table is! After a few losses the Shark played the field and started fire. As the shooter I was racking them up, but then they started exchanging my "red" chips for a couple of "green" chips. Since it was already 2 in the morning, I figured I'd have fun until 0300. Rich, in true Reaper fashion, says to bet it all on the Hard Six! I do, even though I had no idea what the hell was going on. All I new was the 7 & 11 were bad and if I throw a couple of red ones in this little area called the field sometimes the dealer gives me two more. Anyway, the Shark is no longer the shooter and my gains, if any, are entrusted to some wannabe high-roller with a limp wrist. It took several minutes, then he crapped out and the dealer swept away my chips. I look at Rich and say, "that's it?!" He's like, "Yep." And we're out of there after a losing a few bones and downing several Jack&Cokes. The cab ride back to the DblTree was uneventful. I hand Rich a twenty to pay the cabbie as I watch the meter tick away as he goes the long way. So, after a $12.50 fare, he hands the cabbie the 20 and asks for 15 back. Yeah, I'm a little tired, buzzed, and now broke, but even I could do the math. He recovers quickly, like all Marine officers, regroups and asks for 5 back and everyone is happy. My flight is at 0850 and want to experience the excellent Vegas cuisine called the breakfast buffet so the planned wake up is at 0600. I get a call at 0515 from Kathy who is on her way to her first day at Police Academy and mumble a few words, only to realize, shortly, that she had already hung up. I go back to sleep, I think, then look at my dive watch to see that it's almost 7! For some reason I thought my flight was at 8, not 850 and panicked. We still get on the road and head to Terrible's, recommended by our shuttle bus driver, Joe, a retired Gunny. (Actually, we thought he said Tarbell's and drove down Flamingo looking for such a place.:D) Then to McCarran for my 30 minute flight back to SoCal and overcast skies.

I just got off the phone with Rich and he should be stopping in Denver to give a sitrep and trip report.

Shark, out.B|

...uh, and Robyn? I did say Albertson's at least once.:P

Ok folks so here's the update. First pick is me entering Utah!. It was supposed to be a picture of me in my rig in front of the sign. I pulled up to the sign and found another group doing the same thing. I offered to take theirs and them to take mine. I succeeded, the other woman didn't take the pic... even after explicit instructions and a demo. So it's just the sign.

The next four are just some shots of Utah. Pretty country, wish I could have gone to SD MOAB, but I think they are only open on weekends and by appointment.

Next shot is of the Navajo woman I bought a gift for Gin from.

Then of course the Colorodo sign. Within 10 min I (along with 3 other cars) passed a Colorado state trooper going the other direction at 80 - 85. We saw him put on the breaks and hit the median. I pulled off at the next exit for gas. Other two kept going. I'm cool, no ticket, not sure about the other two.

Final shot is a town sign here in Colorado.. cool name!

As I got out of Vail and descended into Denver I thought I was going to die. It was like some kind of HUGE SNOWSTORM. Vehicles were sliding everywhere, and the top on my convertible was still down!!!. From there to where I am now should have taken no more than 40 min. It took almost 3 hours, and I was close to flying off of the road a couple of times.

I am now at the holiday in express just outisde of Denver on I-76. Tomorrow I have between 400 - 500 miles until I get to Elkhorn NE and my relatives.

I'll keep you updated.

Scratch that. I'm having software problems right now.

I'll try again in the morning.

Rich
Rich

Are you really a tandem master/AFF instructor?

No, but I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night!

I am now at the holiday in express just outisde of Denver on I-76

B|:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."