Gawain

The Speedometer for the Faint of Heart (and not so faint...)

I got this in an email with the following "translation" (doesn't like going fast):

STOP = 0 km (0mph) ------ let's drive!
SLOW = 20 km (12.5mph) ------ heavy traffic
BIT SLOW = 40km (25mph) ------ School zone
QUICKISH = 60km (37.5mph) ------ you can step on your gas a little bit
QUICK = 80km (50mph) ------ be patient, this is goooood
OHH! = 100km (62.5mph) ------ i won't go faster than this...
BIT SCARY = 120km (75mph) ------ hey! what are you thinking?
CAREFUL = 140km (87.5mph)------ if i'm in your car, slow down right now!
HOLD ON = 160km (100mph) ------ i will call the police using your cell phone to catch you
BITE LIP = 180km (112.5mph) ------ i will lose consciousness
SHUT EYES = 200km (125mph) ------ i will be on the point of death
STOP NOW = 220km (NUTS!) ------ f__k you!

Now, here's my translation :P:DB|:
STOP = 0 km (0mph) ------ Use the pedal on the right!!!
SLOW = 20 km (12.5mph) ------ Loser ahead of me won't move it!!
BIT SLOW = 40km (25mph) ------ There's a cop in the school zone...
QUICKISH = 60km (37.5mph) ------ Finally shift into third gear...
QUICK = 80km (50mph) ------ Starting to feel like we're moving...
OHH! = 100km (62.5mph) ------ Must go faster...
BIT SCARY = 120km (75mph) ------ Starting to keep up with traffic...
CAREFUL = 140km (87.5mph)------ Now we're making progress...
HOLD ON = 160km (100mph) ------ This is getting fun!!
BITE LIP = 180km (112.5mph) ------ Finally shift into sixth gear!
SHUT EYES = 200km (125mph) ------ Cool!
STOP NOW = 220km (NUTS!) ------ Wheeeeeee!!!
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

BITE LIP = 180km (112.5mph) ------ Finally shift into sixth gear!

My translation: Just shifted to 3rd;)

On a bike huh? B| Actually, third gear in my Acura will take me to 85mph. I was driving Joey Jones back to the tunnel from lunch one day, we were pulling strong at 125 in fifth along I-215... B|
Make light!

ahhh piece of cake...

SPEED is kewl man...

310 mile/hour (mph) = 0.4072479 mach

310 mile/hour (mph) = 498.89664 kilometer/hour

I meant to ask you about this. Did you reach this from a jump at 13K? B|
Make light!

yup sure did at Mesquite NV....and I did not slow down NEARLY enough when I deployed at 2k... to get an INSTACANOPY....OUCH

I am working on slowing down more next time.. oh and new rig.. better reserve.. new main( I bwoke my Triathalon on that one:() and a new full face helmet so I am not windburned and puffyfaced for 2 weeks after the NEXT time I try to go reallly fast.

Yes Paul Dear.. I was just plugging in the number from the little conversion thingie;)

So Mr Wizrd.. what would it be at.. hmm lets say 75 degrees on the ground at 1975 ft Elevation at the airport/DZ... and the altitude

Exit Altitude 14,250AGL
Max speed 310 MPH at 4136 ft AGL( this was OBVIOUSLY DUMB)
Deployment at 2010 ft AGL at 56.76 TAS....Any guess why the Triathalon broke...

Mach is variable with temperature and pressure.

...and altitude Paul, mustn't forget altitude... :P
Make light!

Temperature only: Sound Speed in Gases.

preassure is function of the altitude, so he is correct.

Amazon, if your deployment speed is that low (50-ish) and the speed graph is smooth, then most likely your
pro-track is not where it should be. i guess it's in your helmet. smooth curves indicate that pro-track was going
from low preassure shadow to high preassure and had "to catch up" on speed reading.

This is a good example of the pro-track in the helmet. and this is fake reading. This one is how it should look like and this is a reading from the harness mounted pro-track. (this is not the same dive).

when i was competing, i had to place my own pro-track in my helmet. from two harness pro-tracks i would get reading like 260-ish and the one from pro-track would be 310+. in extreme cases helmet pro-track can show negative speeds on the deployment (going up) and negatvie deployment altitude. when pro-tracks were placed on the ankles before, some speeders got reading as high as 600 mph dude to excessive kicking :)

stan.

Edited: But to get 310 mph in your helmet you have to go pretty damn fast ! :) so i guees you'll show some good competition in august in jumptown. see you there :)

and if anyone is interested, there will be speed skydiving world cup meet in jumptown august this year. i'll post more when time comes ...

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

Mach is variable with temperature only - or combination of simplified gas law gives T is a function of pressure and density so you could also say mach is a variable of density and pressure - but it's the same thing.

a=SQRT(gammaRT) (gamma and R are constants, a is the speed of sound, T is absolute temperature)

Edit: nevermind, I should have read the next post before replying - bad form on my part - that website even has the tail end of the derivation.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Edited: But to get 310 mph in your helmet you have to go pretty damn fast ! :) so i guees you'll show some good competition in august in jumptown. see you there :)

SWEET Stan comes out of hiding.. must be jump weather:)
I am making some choices on gear at this point before I try this again.. Full face helmet so I am not wind burned for a couple weeks and all puffy faced... and do not get any more wind into the small hole on the SORZ into my eye... it watered for 3 days after this.
My deployment speed I think is from going to a hell of a track out of the no lift dive.. then at about 3k I got really big but my forward speed compared to my vertical speed was still very high and was probably getting liftfrom the body position/speed/horizontal movement. The graph at that point has no upward component at all.. its a straight line... no bump on that part of the graph

.. I can go fast but now I have to freakin figure out how to slow my body down. I blew up my main on that dive and had a reserve ride. That could get way too expensive if I had to deal with that on every SPEED diveB|

at what altitude do you go flat ? the speed zone ends around 5500 ft so there is no need
to go fast after that. i have my dytters set at 5000ft and i go flat as soon as i hear it. it takes
me about 10-12 (i think) seconds to slow down and i'm in full track at that time. at the end i
pitch up a tad to bleed of horizontal speed if any and throw my pilot chute. usually i'm below
110-120 mph at deployment, but sometimes it's 130-140, but it's an excpetion. i had some
openings above 150 before though :)

try not to blow up your main every time. it does sound expensive :)

stan

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

I think my problem was with the openface I could barely hear my Protrack... it was LOUD.. I was doing 310 at too low an altitude..
Max speed 310 MPH at 4136 ft AGL

. I went to a track and held that to bleed off speed. I learned the hard way last summer what happens when you just try to go to a normal stable arch from a headdown.. at 220.. it freakin HURT. ON this one I went to the track.. the protrack went off at 3k... I got big and dumped when I heard the audible go flatline at 2200...way not long enough......
I know the measured kilometer is from 8800 to 5500 so I need to set the protracks accordingly... and the new Boomerrang full face will help with the noise.. the ParaSport Z-1 EVO openface was just not the right equipment for that sort of dive.

Obviously I need to practice..

I am getting a smaller rig with new canopies.. a Raven r-Max reserve and the rig is being custom built with a few new safety features for going that fast.

I am getting a smaller rig with new canopies.. a Raven r-Max reserve and the rig is being custom built with a few new safety features for going that fast.

what are the feauters ? i'm very interested to know. my rig doesn't have anything special for speed, except
that i put a velcro on my pilot chute freefly handle and on the bottom of the container. to keep it as secure
as possible. i saw pictures of the rig prematurely opened at 250+. not pretty.

aside from that my rig is pretty standard. i have javelin j1k. i keep everything small, short and tight.
sometimes i have my riser covers open and they try to beat me to death. but the worse is to jump without a
shirt under the jumpsuit. fabric on my hands (triceps area) is a bit loose and it's enough to leave me with
black bruises and i don't bruise easily :) and it also gets really hot because of all the friction :)

stan

p.s. oh yeah, i also have D-ring for my cutaway handle :) better grip and i'm not really concerned with
mid air collisions :)

--
Speed Skydiving Forum

little stuff mainly larger tuck tabs..
. NO bridle showing the BOC will be right up against the #2 flap...
a lower profile...
and a closing loop that will have a kevlar inner core instead of just the standard nylon outer sheath only

I did one speed jump to 250 MPH last summer in my RW suit.. the dayum grippers about beat me to death. My suit.. I have no idea what I am going to wear... Maybe just paint on Liquid latex..RED of course;)

Hey is that an 80's 911 your in?

I have done 170 in a car, and according to a cop 182 on the bike.[:/]

Joe
For long as you live and high you fly and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry and all that you touch and all that you see is all your life will ever be.
Pedro Offers you his Protection.

Wooooooo Hooooooooo!!!

With the top down, no less...

I am very jealous! Well done!! B|
Make light!