bertusgeert

Skydiving Terms Whuffos wont understand

I think this would make for an interesting "article". A glossary of Skydiving terms that whuffos will not understand.

Throw in all the terms in a uniform way so we can put it in one atricle, I can just copy/paste.

Here is a few that I could think of...

BOC - Bottom of Container - where the pilot chute is stored, that will be pulled to initiate the deployment sequence of the parachute.

Ripcord - A cord that the skydiver pulls to initate the deployment sequence of the parachute.

Square - (Also "RAM AIR" (?)) A parachute that will pick up forward speed by having "wing-like" characteristics to it, like the airfoil and the controls.

Round - A parachute that has much less control than a square, a "round" parachute. This is what regular paratroopers use.

Even things as simple as

Altimiter - Intstument that shows the skydiver his altitude above the ground. Can be worn on wrist or chest. Audible varieties (situated in helmet next to his ear) that will alarm the skydiver with sound about his altitutde.

Parachute - a piece of material to stop some crazy mofos' that jumped out of a plane from hitting the ground and thus obliterating themselves. A parachute allows for safe descent to the ground after a "skydive", and a safe, and usually a standup landing. In some cases, the craziest species within this group of crazies will use this parachute to "swoop" accross the ground, a practice which requires much skill and training to do well. This is where most skydivers "bounce".

Pilot - taxidriver

DZ - Drop Zone - the place where skydivers skydive (usually)
DZO - Drop Zone Owner (the dude that owns the Drop Zone!?)

So how bout some more?

(I realize this glossary might already exist. If so, I would like a clicky!)

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

How about Cypres ? It's not just an island that Turks and Greeks fight over anymore. Also head down, freefly, swoop, carve, and "in the corner" - hell I had to learn those new terms !

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Allright, I feel like a real f'n dumbass now.

Now would be a really good time for a greenie to delete this thread...

:S:S:D

Pilot - taxidriver

I'd make sure you're somewhere in the middle of the exit order after that comment on pilots. Otherwise you're likely to find yourself not so optimally placed on jumprun. ;)
-C.

I think this would make for an interesting "article". A glossary of Skydiving terms that whuffos will not understand.

Throw in all the terms in a uniform way so we can put it in one atricle, I can just copy/paste.

Here is a few that I could think of...

BOC - Bottom of Container - it's what the winos in Pioneer Square in Seattle fight over

Ripcord - The piece of string a Pioneer Square wino uses to hold his trousers up after the zipper has been ripped out (hence the term, "ripcord").

Square - See location in "BOC" definition

Round - The bottle that the winos in Pioneer Square pass - nobody buys, they all chip in from panhandling

Pilot - taxidriver - wino ambulance

DZ - Drop Zone - the place where winos pass out(usually)
DZO - Drop Zone Owner - baddest wino

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I jumped an otter this weekend. We did a 3-way horny gorrilla that turned into a cluster-f*ck (thanks Kansas). Then my alitmeter stoped working so I looked down and was in doubt so I whipped it out. Then when I noticed I wasn't getting any penetration but still managed to make it back.:P
Flying Hellfish #470