Kiki

Ways to tell Parents you skydive

My senior year of high school, I harped on my parents about wanting to jump. When I graduated, my mom and I both went through AFF level 1. :)
Flash forward 10 years. I've talked a coworker into jumping and we start AFF together. A few weekends later, we've finished AFF and I'm on my way out to the DZ when my parents call. The normal chit-chat ensues and finally the, "So, what else is new?" question comes up. "Well, Dad, I started skydiving a few weeks back and I'm on my way to the dropzone for a weekend of jumping right now."
"Really? Sounds fun. Be careful."
My Mom's reaction was a little more intense...
"What!?!?! You're skydiving!?!?! Now you're going to have more jumps than me!"

I guess she liked it better when we were tied: 1:1.
:)
-C.

I told my parents when they asked what was that "thing" hanging around my neck (they we're referring to Tami's beautiful Flare-Wear)... after I explained it's function, they looked puzzled... then I put it together for them.

Basically, both mine & my husbands mom (dads don't seem to care) have the same opinion of it...
"Don't tell me when your going, just call me once your done"

Smart parents know, they can't control their grown children.

Good luck, and never apologize for who you are.

I was 17 when I made my first jump (it was in Bosnia) and my parents had to sign a permission. It took a lot of persuasion to make them do that.
Fast forward 21 years: I live in the USA now and my parents are still in Bosnia. I plan my skydiving comeback (AFF course) this summer and I am not going to tell them a word . I don't want them to worry about it.

All good stories, but how many of you have your announcement of your intent to start skydiving to your parents on video?! I get to watch my dad's (you really are going for a darwin award) look and my mom's (oh god....he's found somethin dumber than snowboarding) look over and over again.
If it's not on video, it didn't happen...

woa....that was cool....

My dad was working in NY when I went to make my first jump. My mom went with me. I wanted nothing to do with it but I was 16 and thought I would be cool and go with my friends. My mom was nervous, but ok with it. She and I agreed that I would do it once "just to say I did it." So I did a static line and she videoed it from the ground. She went to NY to see my dad the following week and took the video with her. He called me when she told him to and the conversation was something like this:

"Hey Jaime. Moma told me to call you before we watched something on the video. What's this about?"

"Just watch Dad."

"Hey, it's an airport. Did you go somewhere?"

"Sorta... just keep watching."

"Lots of airplanes... Hey there you are! What's that on your back? Wait a minute... is that... is that a... oh no. Is that a parachute!?"

"Just keep watching Dad."

"Ok... now you're getting into an airplane, with a parachute on. DID YOU JUMP!!??"

"Just wait Dad."

"HOLY SHIT!! IS THAT YOU?? THERE IS A PARACHUTE LANDING!! HOT DAMN! YOU DID IT!! Son of a bitch... that means I have to do it now!"

:D:D:D:D:D

i dont want to talk down to you,so dont take this personaly its not only for you but for others whith the same thourghts...

Skydiving IS a highrisk activity,we all knows that we can deal whith it so what is the big problem on telling our loved once what we are doing?

I told my family before i started skydiving,i did the same before i started BASE jumping,do they like it? HELL no,they are worryed that i will injury or kill myself doing this,i do understand them.

However to be open to family is giving them respect and the oppertunety to prepere if anything should happen...

This weekend my smallest sister went to visit me,she has seen me skydive before,and now asked if i were going out to BASE if she then could come along to watch,and perhaps understand me better,she went out there whith me 2 times this weekend. she still dont understand why i do it but she saw that i do what i can to take care of myself so i dont harm myself/that way my family.

I have been in an acsident by BASE,were i called my dad from the scene,told him what happend and he were cool about that...

PLEASE tell your family and loved once what your doing,please show them the world you play in,please tell them that you DONT want to die,but you still enjoy doing this..,they probaly wont understand why your doing it,but you have given them trus,and thats all that matter...

just my .25dkkr;)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I just told my parents on the weekend how much it's costing me to skydive. They were much more taken aback with that news than they were when i told them i was going to jump. [:/]

Then i told my dad that i'd need a loan to buy a rig from either someone in the family or a financial institution and if it was from a bank i'd probably need a guarantor which would most likely be him anyway. I've never seen him laugh so hard and then look so pale.

And you shed not a single tear for the things that you didn't need
'Cause you knew you were finally free - Death Cab For Cutie

yeah your right, my mom and my brother, aunt and uncle already know, and they are going to come out one weekend and see me jump. the only one that doesnt know is my father but he is set in his ways and besides that he hates flying anyways. so i suppose the only issue is the money one he might have a problem with. he does somewhat have control of that for now anyways:)
Just because I appear sweet doesn't mean I can't kick your ass!

Forgive me as I do not have the time to read this entire thread. But I have a simple question for you. Who's life to do want to live? Yours or your fathers? You say that you father is scared of flying. Well could that be because he has little to no knowledge about flight? Any time we venture into the skies, we will die if we don't return back to earth the way the engineers intended our mode of transporation to be used. But when rules are followed, flight can be experienced and being in the air is a gift that few people get to experience.

Skydiving is dangerous and we could all very well die on our next jumps. But in life people die every day, period. It's something that will happen to all of us. It could happen to me when I go to lunch today. You and likely your father need to come to grips with your mortality. The sooner people do this, the sooner they can get out there and experience life. Life is not going to work during the day, then going home at night and watching the latest reality TV show.

Do you want to arrive at death with an unused body with no experiences? Or do you want to arrive at the pearly gates with a totally worn out body and proclaim "wow what a wild ride"? ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over