turtlespeed

Smells Funky!!!

So, last night, I was on a mission!

Stopped over at Lowes and picked up some 3/8" copper tubing, and some compression fittings, and a needle valve.

Then I went to Wally World and picked up two 18" bungee cords, some gasket sealer, a six gallon cooking pot, a plate warmer with a variable temp gauge, 5 pounds of rye flour, 32 ears of corn, a couple of packages of yeast, and 2 lovely bottles of real maple syrup, and 2 pounds of raw cane sugar.

I boiled 3.5 gallons of water, added one of the maple syrups and 1.5 lbs of cane sugar, 4 lbs of the Rye Flour, and chopped up the corn. I then poured the boiling water and stirred the stuf for about 2 hours, until the temp got down to about 110 degrees F, and added 2 packs of yeast.

DAMN does it smell funky!

So - Monday I'll hook the plumbing up and set the thing to work - I hope it turns out ok.

Whiskey - whiskey is good.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

What's up with the McGuyver concoction? What's it for?

. . . . . and set the thing to work - I hope it turns out ok.

Whiskey - whiskey is good.

I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

All that to make whiskey huh...

So, don't you have to age it before you can really enjoy it...like 10 years?? You're patient! :P
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Sounds like something we had running in school. Bad things are always afoot in an apartment with four engineers. Make sure you have a good condenser set up. You'll also need a thermometer to tell when the alcohol has stopped boiling off and you're down to distilling water.

We tried a couple mashes, but never had much luck, because of what you're experiencing: FUNK! Four college guys living together are nasty enough. What we did was start with stuff that had already been fermented and/or distilled once before, stuff like wines (technically it's how you make brandy, but I wouldn't call what we ended up with anything that resembled brandy). Also, what we had best results with was re-distilling liquor. Remember the nasty crap you used to drink out of the big 1.5L bottles? Aristocrat vodka? Pepe Lopez and Monteczuma tequila? Nasty stuff, and if the bottle sat around open for a while it just got to tasting worse. So all our buddies always had half-finished bottles of liquor on top of their fridges. Go around, pay 'em a buck or two for half a bottle of liquor, dump it ALL into the pot, and what came out the other end of the condenser was white lightning, pure and simple.

Elvisio "so many brain cells lost forever" Rodriguez

Here's the whole setup for anyone interested:

Hot plate (like turtlespeed's) for the heat. The lid on the pot was clamped down with clamps we popriveted onto the pot, and a bicycle tube between lid and pot made the seal. Drill a small hole in the lid to drop a thermometer (from your local homebrew shop) into the pot. Out of the lid we had a 1.5" PVC tube about 6" long packed with copper wool. My ChemEng roomate called this the reflux tube, says it helped get better distillations. This was capped and through that cap came the copper tubing. The tubing ran up, over, and down into a 6" PVC pipe (maybe two feet tall) capped at the bottom. The tubing was coiled inside this 6" PVC, which was filled with ice. The tubing came out a small hole in the bottom of the 6" PVC, which is where we collected our sweet, sweet nectar.

Keep an eye on your temperature. I forget the temp at which water and alcohol azeotrope (i.e. boil off together) but it's significantly lower than 212F and you get mostly alcohol only a couple % water. The temperature in the pot will remain constant through the whole distillation. Then, once most of the alcohol is gone, the temperature will spike and you'll just start getting water (bad bad bad). As soon as you start to see the temperature rise, shut her down cuz you're done!

Later;

Elvisio "what I really learned in college" Rodriguez

edited because I'm too stupid to use the shift key properly

Okay, my little green one. . .you cannot believe where my mind went when I saw the title of this post. . .:$
FGF #6
Darcy

But - Of course I do - Just cuz you are ALWAYS so sweet and innocent.

Uh, yeah, sure. . .;)
FGF #6
Darcy

This probably smells as funky as your socks. Dude you need to bath and wash clothing more often!! :ph34r::ph34r:

I bet the smell of your mash is better then your socks!!

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Oh ya and I'm calling the "Revenuers" they're going to come shut you down and take your stil.

Living life looking over your shoulder is going to suck.. We'll have to change your name to "Lefty" because your going to be glancing over your shoulder all the time to see whos sneakin up on you.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

After the yeast - which is alive and well by the way - starts eating the grain it's byproduct is ethenol - and methenol - so you distill it at a certain temperature and only the ethenol and some of the "flavor" comes through. If you have the right mix of ingrediants - you end up with a pretty good whiskey - the recipe i picked up is one for Jack Daniels - the only difference is - as it was pointed out - I WILL NOT let it age - I will simply go to sleep with the nozzle in my mouth.

Seriously though - I am hoping for a decent turn - maybe not this round - but if it doesn't work - I'll just run it through again and see what happens - you can do that and / or get some activated charcoal and filter it a few times and end up with some Vodka.

either way - someones gettin' drunk