erdnarob

Falling down in your canopy

A recent conversation I had with skydivers was about the possibility of falling in your canopy after a drastic series of manoeuvers. Some thought it was possible after doing a deep stall and letting go the toggles suddenly while some other thought it was impossible due to the centrifugal forces keeping the lines taut. Maybe the first question should be "is it possible to get your own canopy below you while flying it ?"
Anybody having seen (or heard about) this unusual experience or comments about it ?

If my memory serves me correctly, there were a couple incidents a few years ago involving guys who ended up in their canopies attempting backloops.

Anyone remember details?
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

...a crowd of 1 or 2?
:D:P

But then, I'm at an advantage...I've met Wildcard.

I thought it takes 3 to be a crowd? :P

Some 3-somes wouldn't be a crowd...it'd be one helluva party!
:D:D;)
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

When I did a dragplane I was having concerns about falling into my Lightning, and the CRW jumpers I asked weren't 100% sure one way or the other. My canopy of course was below me, not straight below but below me for sure. Usually you let go of the bottom pair so you get a downplane and hence no problem. But our (eh, my) grip wasn't secure and I was slightly worried while hanging there, although having mucho fun too at the same time of course - not that many people can say they did some freefly (headdown) while under canopy :ph34r:

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Let me just go on record as saying that it's not possible.

you are incorrect, but it is very difficult to do. much more probable/possible to 'gift wrap' with a medium-loaded efficient canopy, (swooping canopy at 1.5/1) but I imagine it is possible with even a correctly loaded BASE canopy. (.7/1 seven cell).

I have been able to get my blackjack 260 (loaded at .6/1) completely below the horizon fairly easily during comical attempts at acro flying, I have not tried to make all the lines slack, however.

as said, it is very easy to do in a paraglider. (gift wrap)

-SPACE-

Thanks a lot. It is quite obvious though it's difficult to see if falling in the canopy in this case results from a barrel roll or back loop or a combination of the two.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.