Skyrose7

credit card question---can they do that??!!

Hey, I know some of you HAVE to know problems with credit cards. Does anyone know if you have a billing date that falls on a sunday, can they charge you a late fee if it is processed on that monday? I was under the impression that #1 you just have to have your bill postmarked by the billing date, and #2 if your due date falls on a non-business day, you have until the next business day to pay. Any info would be great, I have been fighting late fees all day and I am getting pissed.>:(
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The mind is like a parachute--it works better when it is open. JUMP.
MaryRose

Ask to speak to a supervisor. Tell them you are going to get a new card and transfer the balance of their card to the new one if they don't fix it.:)

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

it depends on the individual policy agreement with your card provider.

for example:

my visa card payment must be postmarked by the payment due date.

my discover card payment must be received by the payment due date.

it varies by card.

call up and pitch a fit to the supervisor. they'll waive the late fee. it's standard procedure, because they'll make way more money from keeping you as a customer and charging you interest than they will off the $25 late fee or whatever it is.

call up and pitch a fit to the supervisor. they'll waive the late fee. it's standard procedure, because they'll make way more money from keeping you as a customer and charging you interest than they will off the $25 late fee or whatever it is.

I agree, you should call the bank and at least ask for an explanation or clarification of the policy. They'll more than likely waive the fee, but don't count on that as a rule. Most banks will tell you to go pound sand if you abuse their generousity.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

it sounded like what she was describing was a one-time issue. as long as she doesn't have a habit of paying late, she shouldn't have a problem getting the fee waived, but she has to ASK them to do it. they won't volunteer to do it, but if you ask, they grumble something about a one-time courtesy, and waive it.

will you buy me a house too?:P

Well, I just finished fighting with the cc company and I got them to waive half of last months late fee (was postmarked on time, but apparently that's not their policy as was with my last card). Doing bills as usual, I realized that by their policy, this month would be late too due to misinformation from a representative and also because payment was due on sunday. I did pitch a fit(and then apologized profusely for being a bitch) and they are waiving the late fee this month as well. Now that's some smooooooth talkin'. B|
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MaryRose

I just had a nasty dealing with BankOne last month. My check never got there (per my online banking statement) so I called and paid via phone. NO biggie. The lady waived the fee said all was good and we hung up and went our merry ways. I've had an account with them for a few years always in good standing and never late, never paying minimum only. This is an account I've radically been paying down recently.

I get the next months statement, all my promotional APRS (everything in a balance was 5% interest) was voided out to standard. They hiked my standard rate up to 26 %. I just about died when I saw that! I called again, and the lady who waived the fee forgot to reset something else in the system, so while my account was showing paid normally, the computer made the *not in agreement* changes... they were pretty ridiculous about it and said they could do nothing. SPoke to management, they said the same.

By the end of this month I will have no more balance with them. screw that. Of course, I will leave the account open to show available unused credit and account longevity!

Discover and MBNA have been a pleasure to deal with. Bank One can eat belly button lint.

__

Get very angry, cuss alot and then threaten them with violence. That will work. Right!

Seriously now; look at the terms of yor card. Some say postmarked, others say posted by fri. of sat.

I hate this mees so I alway pay on-line by thurs. night.

I have found that most of the time raising hell only causes them to cancel your card.
-Bob-
----

I have found that most of the time raising hell only causes them to cancel your card.

Naaahh, they wouldn't cancel me. I spend too much money on skydiving for them to lose out on. ;)[:/]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MaryRose

Simple answer - look at your contract. It'll tell you whether they can or cannot.

Unfortunately if you signed on the dotted line they can do what ever they want. It sucks having to read all the fine print but sometimes you just have to.There are a bunch of stupid crap in those contracts. like a monthly statement is just a courtesy and if you dont get, you still need to pay on time. Most Credit Card companies wont let you use that as an excuse.

I worked for Sears collection, and other third party agencies, for a few years and as far as the sunday thing goes, sunday is just another business day for them. I once called a pastor on a Sunday and asked him to pay his bill, boy was he pissed !>:(

But usually if you are a good customer and pay on time they will let a late charge or two slide, and if they don't, just ask for a manager and tell them you will be taking your business elsewhere, and make a big stink.:ph34r:
~Shelly

I have always paid my discover card online specifically so that I don't have to deal with any of these problems at all. Direct transfer from checking to them.

I have most of my bills set up to pay automatically because I am horrible at remembering to pay them. The only one I have to actually fill out a form for is my CC.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I have always paid my discover card online specifically so that I don't have to deal with any of these problems at all. Direct transfer from checking to them.

I have most of my bills set up to pay automatically because I am horrible at remembering to pay them. The only one I have to actually fill out a form for is my CC.

MS Money saved my life. I used to have horrendous credit. I would pay everything late. Now I use MS Money and have the best rating you can get (after 5 years of consistency). I write one check a month for rent. Money pays my bills, transfers a chunk to savings, and invests some in an IRA each month. I spend about 15 minutes a week on it. It's probably paid for itself dozens of times over in late fees not happening.

Hey, I know some of you HAVE to know problems with credit cards. Does anyone know if you have a billing date that falls on a sunday, can they charge you a late fee if it is processed on that monday? I was under the impression that #1 you just have to have your bill postmarked by the billing date, and #2 if your due date falls on a non-business day, you have until the next business day to pay. Any info would be great, I have been fighting late fees all day and I am getting pissed.>:(

Attempts have been made to make the postmark the determination of ontime payment. Needless to say, banks and other institutions have done their best to keep such bills from becoming law. Most require that it be received by then, if not processed. Providian and a few others have abused that a bit, so if you're mailing out a payment a few days before you're asking for trouble.

In the mid 90s most were still pretty casual about dates, because they just charged interest up until the day it cleared. Then someone discovered the good money to be made in late penalties. Now even a single day can get you that 2x% rate. Blockbuster Video makes a huge portion of their earnings in this category.

End moral - if you're here on DZ.com, you can probably do online payments, and you should. You get a nice electronic trail of proof, and you can automate it so that no matter what the minimum is paid so you're never hit with interest rate hikes from them (or banks like Citi that reserve the right to punish you for being late on someone else's account)

It would be nice to see them forced away from Sunday deadlines, since that's two days lost and the grace period on some credit cards I've had is effectively 10 days or less given how long it takes to mail me the bill, and to mail them back.

Actually, that is what I am doing this month (under suggestion of one of the representatives) and it will still be late. He told me that I had to do it by 1pm today, and I actually did it the day before just to make sure and it still only let me schedule my payment date on the monday...day after it was due and they were going to charge a late fee. That was why I was pissed. One guy told me that would get it there on time, then the next person told me no, not so. So, I got that fee removed before it even got added. no worries. I am not screwing around with that anymore. Online payments sound good to me.;)...a week before it is due, just in case.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MaryRose