TLob456

RSL tether stow on an infinity rig

Any riggers with experience on Infinity containers...I've got a question. I'm having trouble keeping the RSL tether from pulling out of the flap that holds it under the reserve risers. Not a big problem, but eventually there is enough of it exposed that it makes a sort of loop, I don't like it. How much excess should there be prior to deployment of the main parachute? The tether is doubled about 2-3 inched from the actual connection to the main risers and I figure this should be completely concealed. That's how I set it up but it seems to get pulled out just enough to compromise the flaps ability to keep it neatly stowed. Hopefully this makes sense.

See pg 39 for an answer:

http://www.velocityrigs.com/manual/infinity9.pdf

as explained in the manual… some slack is desired and specified by the manufacturer. When you are estimating this slack take into account the movement of the RSL ring on the main risers during a normal main deployment. If there is no slack, you could get unintentional reserve deployment.

The slack in the RSL is similar to the "excess" reserve ripcord cable which extends beyond the handle. The excess in both cases is to prevent premature activation with the movement of the harness and body.

If the above link does not answer your questions, try this:

Velocity Sports Equipment
P.O. Box 3370
Sunriver, OR 97707

[email protected]

(253) 445-8790 - phone
(541) 550-7297 - phone
(253) 445-8792 - fax
M-Th 8:00am - 5:30pm PST
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

The camera isn't the issue. I'll edit my post so that I don't get a bunch of people like you complaining and talking down to those of us who don't have 5000 jumps instead of helping with my actual question.

There's a good reason why jumpers should wait until they're very comfortable just skydiving without a camera before strapping one on their head. And then there's jumpers who 'think' they know it all and won't listen to anything other jumpers try to tell them. It's obvious where you fall in this. I'm still baffled that you have a camera on the right side of your helmet. Can you explain that? And I didn't think I was 'talking down' to you, that wasn't my intent
my pics & stuff!

Just a nosy newbie trying to absorb some issues in this sport, and forgive me if it sounds retarded, But what is the problem with having a camera mount on the right hand side of a helmet, Or is it just the specific type of helmet doesnt warrant mounting a camera on that side. The reason why i ask is i have seen cameras mounted on a right side a few times, Weather or not this was a photo that had been altered and maybe mirrored, I dont know, but any how, Be easy, Im just a newbie
D.S 174.2

Be careful what you say. Some one might take it the right way.

Most of the palm sized camers, the ones you can sidemount, are made for right-handed people. So the screen, battery, and most of the buttons are on the left, and the right side (typically up against the users palm) is pretty barren. So you mount them on the left to maintain access to all the stuff.

And then there's jumpers who 'think' they know it all and won't listen to anything other jumpers try to tell them. It's obvious where you fall in this. I'm still baffled that you have a camera on the right side of your helmet. Can you explain that?

It's obvious, huh? Quite the assumption. Dude, chill out. If you're so concerned about awareness and safety you should be happy I'm curious about my gear and asking questions aimed at making it as safe as possible. My GoPro is currently on the right side because I have a Cookie Atomic helmet and didn't want to gum up the flatlock which is on the left side. My overall goal in skydiving is to be a videographer/photographer and figured I'd buy a helmet that will meet all my needs as I become more experienced. All it takes is turning my head the other way on deployment. By the way, I checked out your website...some really sick pictures there!

Thanx for your explanation, that's really all I was looking for. I've never seen a camera mounted on the right side. Dave explained why it's rare. I'm not saying there aren't cameras there, I just haven't seen them. I'm not fired up so no need to chill....just inquiring. There are way too many jumpers that downsize way too early, start flying birdman suits too early, jump with shit they shouldn't be jumping with to early....that's really all. I'm not the only one out there concerned so it's all good. Take it for what it is. Thanx for the props and good luck with that inifinity RSL (I'd just remove it).
my pics & stuff!

If you're jumping any camera you should have the RSL disconnected. In fact at my dropzone the S&TA will disconnect it for you if he sees is hooked up.
I have an Infinity rig and have never had any problems with the RSL coming out of the little horizontal pouch that it fits into.
There is only one way it will fit. The RSL is proprietary to Velocity and has a creased and hardened spot in it where it folds and fits into its "pouch".
There really is no adjustment or anything. It is very objective. What's left sticking out is what you get by design.

... There are way too many jumpers that downsize way too early, start flying birdman suits too early, jump with shit they shouldn't be jumping with to early....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad3Hzsy1-20&feature=related
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

RSL coming out of the little horizontal pouch that it fits into.
There is only one way it will fit. The RSL is proprietary to Velocity and has a creased and hardened spot in it where it folds and fits into its "pouch".
There really is no adjustment or anything. It is very objective. What's left sticking out is what you get by design.

Not so. Mirage has the same deal and I'm pretty sure has had it well before the infinity's. Not too mention, the older infinity's don't have that folded back piece of the RSL that you mention. I've seen some infinity's with the same issue TLob is mentioning.

If you're jumping any camera you should have the RSL disconnected.

This is opinion and should be left to the informed jumper's decision. We have a master rigger/video-dude that swears they should be hooked up. I don't agree....but that's my opinion.
my pics & stuff!

Not so. Mirage has the same deal and I'm pretty sure has had it well before the infinity's. Not too mention, the older infinity's don't have that folded back piece of the RSL that you mention. I've seen some infinity's with the same issue TLob is mentioning.

I'm willing to be the Mirage RSL and Infinity RSL are not interchangeable. That makes each proprietary.
Furthermore I didn't say they were all like that. I said that's how mine is.

This is opinion and should be left to the informed jumper's decision. We have a master rigger/video-dude that swears they should be hooked up. I don't agree....but that's my opinion.

There are plenty of threads on this forum that discuss using an RSL and jumping a camera so I won't go there but I suppose there are those few that would enjoy watching their reserve opening up into the canopy that's attached to their helmet....to each their own.

There are plenty of threads on this forum that discuss using an RSL and jumping a camera so I won't go there but I suppose there are those few that would enjoy watching their reserve opening up into the canopy that's attached to their helmet....to each their own.

In this poll of 72 votes, 49% said they don't disconnect their RSL when jumping with camera.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3828558;page=unread#unread
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

In fact at my dropzone the S&TA will disconnect it for you if he sees is hooked up.

Maybe he should keep his hands to himself, and learn to communicate better with his mouth!:S Dont change shit on my rig!~
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

A final note for this thread. I talked w/ Velocity and have some definitive answers. The newer Infinity rigs have a pocket located under the D-ring which the doubled portion of the RSL lanyard slides into. They have also started adding .5in to the final section of the lanyard to address the issue this thread is about. The original is 2.5 but they are making them at 3in now. If you've got the older one and have the above mentioned pocket, they will send you a new RSL to replace it. Hope this clears up any future issues. My opinion, Velocity ROCKS!

And about the camera with or w/out RSL, for me I've got a cutaway chinstrap so that would be the first thing to go if I ever got my lines caught up....so I'll be keeping the RSL connected.