Blindpost

So...what if you are getting a 'bad feeling' about your next jump?

Not long after 9-11 Mercedes and I went out to make a jump one weekday. On the way there we both started getting bad vibes for no reason-I did not know she was thinking the same at the time. We got on the 1st load and about 8K Steve turned the plane around and in a few minutes we were on the ground-FAA put us down........We waited around until they got everything right and everybody got back on the plane for the 2nd time...........We taxi a little ways and Steve stops the plane again-flat front tire on the Otter! At that point in time I thought, this is the third sign, lets not jump! Of course they filled the tire took off and everybody landed ok, but, then again, we were not on that load!;);)

Kinda funny, Scotty Carbone said something like, I'd get off the plane to after 2 trys!:)

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

No Worries :)
Here is how mine went:ph34r: I packed my chute for the first time, spotted the plane and jumped.. I was nervous as hell! One of the camera guys made all the difference on jump run. He said" don't worry you have plenty of time, just get out get stable, take a deep breathe then pitch, Once your under canopy look at your altimeter and see where your out. Your going to be surprised" It worked and now I love hop-n-pops. Heck sometimes thats all I do I made 4 last weekend. I think I am gonna make 9-10 this weekend:D (trying to get 200 before my 1 year skydive b-day the end of July)

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

I have to disagree dave

Noooooooooooooooo!:P:P:P:P

Well, everyone has their own ways on this sort of thing. For me, its definately FIDO, for others, sometimes they need to sit it out. If it was me, I would go jump, and be ok with it.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If it's just a bad feeling, no reason for it. I ignore it, it's nothing. But if the jump is introducing something new, I don't feel entirely comfortable with who I'm jumping with, or I'm uneasy about my gear I will do what I need to make myself feel more comfortable. If I can't, I may or may not jump. It just depends. I don't buy into all that superstition crap (no offense to those that do), if I am prepared for a jump, and remember my training, there is no mystical outside force that is going to cause problems for me.

I liked this post, a fear confessional, an open discussion of the pucker factor. Certain responses from JohnRich, Cloudmonkey, napaguy99, freeflir--good gut check, tbrown, skyyhi, Remster, Catfishhunter and especially Vertifly--like a gear-check fear disposal procedure, kicked some schtookus. I enjoyed 'em all.
Here's my log on the fire... "I was seeing this girl for about six weeks, then someone took my binoculars out of my pickup truck;" (thanks Larry the Cable Guy.) What you feel and what's happening are often 2 different things. I read once that panic disorders affect 1/75 people. That if you stand in the back of a class of pre-schoolers and clap your hands loudly, the ones that jump the highest are the ones most likely to have a heightened response to fear throughout their lives. When the time comes to board the plane, jump light turns green, get in the door, etc., our experience in those situations establishes a certain comfort level. What's fascinating are the "triggers" that can set a fear response in motion. One of my favorite phrases is, "Exposure breeds composure." To phobics, the primary treatment to overcoming their fear response is "flushing." Essentially, moving them through to greater levels of exposure to their fear. In skydiving, high jump numbers accumulated in short duration work to do just that. Keeping current helps tremendously. From all that I've read (and experienced,) the best solution to getting over "jump dread" is visualizing beautiful outcomes. Visualization fools the mind into experiencing something that it can't distinguish from the real world. Repetition is the mother of skill. I like Mom.
Lastly, (dang I'm a wordy bastard) The decision to jump or not is always the individuals', but consider, courage is not the absence of fear, but the willingness to act, in spite of it. The more you face your fears, the more courageous you appear (note, appear, he, he, he.)
Take it lightB|

You're always the starter in your own life!

well im not exactly experienced, but last week i was doing some coach jumps, and we got down and the coach went and manifested us on the next load. Well i felt reeally really rushed, with only 30 jumps it was a ltittle to fast for me... so i told him no. I went and took myself on manifest.

I am not going to push myself to fast, make a mistake, and have to pay for that mistake cause the coach wants to get back up on the next load.

now granted the coach did not mean to push me, it just happened that way. he even apoligized for pushing me to fast.
--------------------------------------------------
Fear is not a confession of weakness, it is an oportunity for courage.