speedball123

beginner rig package

I have recently done my AFF and i'm looking for a complied rig. I found this package and want to know what u guys fink about it

http://www.smartrigs.com/gear-packages/student-new-jumper-package-advance-seven-x-fun-main-and-x-fast-reserve-with-free-canopy-upgrade.html

Clicky fixed (click on the "Quote" button on my post to see how to do that).

Seems like a nice deal, especially with the canopy downsize in the future, but why would you want to spend the money on new for your first rig?

You probably won't be keeping it all that long, and you probably will be getting it biffed and stained while you perfect your landing technique.

Just my $0.02
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

If money is no option, buy all the new stuff you want. However, keep in mind that rigs depreciate in value very quickly when new. In six months, your brand new rig, with your colors, sizes and options (some or all of which may or may not work for others) will be worth a lot less than you paid for it.

If you buy a used rig, in six months you can count on it being worth 95% of what you paid for it (provided you paid a fair price). If you find in a year that you prefer a different size or type of rig, you can sell your used rig for 80%, or more, of the purchase price.

Buying your first rig is sort of a shot in the dark. You think you'll like this, and think you'll like that, so that's what you buy. As you progress in the sport, you'll borrow a few rigs, and demo a few canpoies, and maybe discover that you actaully like a different type of rig much better than what you bought. It's nice, then, to be able to sell your first rig for most of what you paid for it.

It's also nice to buy a complete used rig for half the price of a new rig. That's a lot of jump money staying in your pocket. It's actually jumpsuit, helmet, altimeter, and jump money in your pocket.

If you can afford it, there are very few negatives to all new gear. It can be difficult trying to find a 'complete' used rig that is right for you in every way.

If you can I would recommend buying a new container as it will be custom fit to you, which you will greatly appreciate. I would also put a new reserve and AAD in it. AAD's depreciate in value at ~$100 per year and you will likely not find a "deal" on one.

Then buy a used main. Just be sure that you buy a container that will allow you to downsize a few times before you need to purchase a new container.

If you are lucky enough, and have the patience to find a complete used rig or piece together a complete used rig that is right for you then that is prob the way to go.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

Here's what I wrote in another thread to a jumper in your situation -

The main thought is to involve your instructors and a local rigger. Consult your instructors for advice on what type and what size canopies you should be looking for. They have jumped with you, and seen you fly the student rigs, and are in the best position to advise you.

Have ALL equipment you're considering inspected by a local rigger. Run any possibilities by him before you even contact the seller to se ewhat his impression is. Beyond that, have the rigger help you to arrnage for equipment to be shipped before you tender payment to the seller so it can be inspected, and in the case of a harness, test fitted. You may end up having to tender payment to a third party to hold while the gear is being inspected, but this is normal, and again, have the rigger take the lead on this.

Proper equipment selection and compatibility is key to making a safe skydive. Some errors in equipment choice can limit your learning, and make skydiving less fun, while other errors in this area can kill you. Be sure to involve professionals in these choices until your knowledge of gear and rigger is established.

The instructors who taught you how to jump are an excellent resource for helping you select gear. They know you, and have jumped with you, and are generally a good resource for you well beyond your student days. You could even ask them to reccomend a good local rigger.

You're going to need a rigger sooner or later, so it might as well be sooner. In the interest of gaining a new customer, most riggers are happy to oversee your first rig purchase. You shouldn't have to pay for advice or guidance, but expect to pay for inspections, and time spent shipping/recieving items on your behalf. In the end it will be money well spent, and you'll have yourself a safe, suitable rig.

I have recently done my AFF and i'm looking for a complied rig. I found this package and want to know what u guys fink about it

http://www.smartrigs.com/gear-packages/student-new-jumper-package-advance-seven-x-fun-main-and-x-fast-reserve-with-free-canopy-upgrade.html

Hi there

As the owner of SMARTRIGS i have to admit that i am biased from the start! B|

New Gear vs Used Gear is a long discussion that has been covered many times in the past so i will try to keep my reply brief!

I decided to run this program as we were getting requests from people who were finding it difficult to find a used container that fitted them properly that was equipped with suitable canopies for their experience level.

Using this program new jumpers are able to get a harness that fits them properly from the outset and downsize their canopies without having to try and find a buyer for them later (and taking a subsequent financial hit in most cases).

For those jumpers who are based in the UK and that are of an 'average' size we actually have some demo rigs which we simply give to the new jumper to use whilst we prepare their 'new rig'.

For example someone may finish their AFF and borrow a 190 demo rig from us and jump it for 2-3 months, they may then borrow a 170 from us and put a load more jumps on that before finally collecting their new 150 which is correctly sized for them and made to fit their current canopy (and them!).

For other people outside of the UK (or those that need a specific harness size that we are unable to supply as a demo rig) we offer the above system where we make and supply a complete custom sized harness - container with their starting canopy (210 / 190 / 170 etc) after a pre-determined time or number of jumps the person returns their original canopy to us and takes delivery of their new smaller canopy without further charge.

This allows someone to downsize safely without the temptation to jump / purchase a system with a smaller than recommended canopy simply because it was a 'cheap deal' or because they decided to buy a canopy smaller than they currently need because they tried to cut corners and save a few $$$'s.

I trust that this makes sense and will try to answer any questions that people may have!

Regards

James