Brodes

Finding 'that' balance.

Here's the deal, i moved from the semi-country into the city mid last year where i left all my best high school mates. Then i met a heap of new friends in the city which put pressure on spending times with my old mates. Now i've started skydiving, spending lots of time at the dz, and im finding it REALLY hard to juggle between the 3 groups. I even think some of them are starting to resent me, and im not in 'the loop' of whats happening with everyone.

How do you do it? [:/]

Heh, I'm in the same position. You just get used to it. I spend my weekdays at the dropzone, but switch out a few days to do something else. (ie: I went sailing the entire last weekend, and never jumped.) You can do something friday and something else saturday, and it kinda works out. But in the end, just pick, what's more entertaining and who would you rather hang out with. Stay in touch with the rest, but you don't have to be around everybody all the time.

And I'm not in the loop either; I usually have no idea what's happening....but then again, that's normal for me. ;)
This ad space for sale.

you don't... you lose your whuffo mates, your SO, any electrical item that you can pawn and your dog. All you get in return in a couple of maxed out credit cards and the ability to fly...;)
:D:D

seriously... get your mates to the dz and there'll be no problem. yeah? I always quite liked having a dz group of friends and a whuffo set though...

I don't live close to most of my friends now so I email my friends to keep in touch and see them when I can. But when I did live close to them, there were good days that instead of going to the DZ, I went out with my friends. Maybe dinner Friday night with one group, jump Saturday morning/afternoon, dinner Saturday with another group of friends, and Sunday - whatever I wanted to do. Or some combination thereof. I kept my whuffo friends, my "have jumped once or twice" friends, and my skydiving friends.

The sky will always be there - your friends may not (be it life has them drift away or an accident takes them). Only you can decide and figure out what the proper balance is for you.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

im finding it REALLY hard to juggle between the 3 groups.

Well, stop it.

I even think some of them are starting to resent me

It's not you they resent as much as their own inability to mature, grow and develop. Ten years from now, you'll have high school chums that will be doing the same thing they're doing today. You need to do what's best for you. They'll always be your high school mates, but the relationship will change over the years. Get on with your life and wish them the best in theirs.

Yep soon you will only have skydive friends. Or only have time for skydive friends. Soon you will be gone all weekend and return with no messages on your machine.No calls on nice days. Your ground friends will think you've lost it. You may get one or two to join you, but it takes a lot of persuasion.
If you can find balance,great, if you can't.... be with your dz friends. Do non-dz stuff with them too.

Give up trying to keep up with all the circles. Once you get your A and start fun jumping all the time. You'll never see your friends / mates or girl friend(s).

They all seem to fade away. If their really your friends they'll understand skydiving is your passion and will still be around and willing to hangout with you, listening to your stories and watching your videos. 9 times outa 10 though, you just make new better friends at the dz who love to tell skydiving stories and watch all your videos.. yes even your student jumps :ph34r:

This is kinda why they call it "cutting away" because you're leaving your past behind and looking up all the time now. Just enjoy it, but don't let it consume you. Unless your independently wealthy. This sport isn't cheap ;)

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."