PabloCruz2

Diabetes and Skydiving

Hey everybody,
I'm trying to talk a friend & his son into going skydiving with me. His wife is concerned that their son (who is a pretty bad diabetic & in his late teens) maybe shouldn't jump. I come from a medical family and really can't think of any reason why he shouldn't jump. Am I missing anything in my reasoning? I figure there must be diabetic skydivers in this community that can share their thoughts. If there is I would appreciate any input. Thanks

No problem. Heres one thread that might help.

Diabetes

There are some precautions that can be made w/blood sugar monitoring and diet etc. during skydiving that might help.I dated a diabetic jumper who used injections multiple times per day and I'm in a similar situation since I'm hypoglycemic.Anyway, hopefully the thread can help you out or atleast point you to someone who can answer your questions.:)

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

I think it depends on the severity of the disease.

I had a team mate a few years ago that would on occasion be perfectly fine in the loading area and then get a little affected by jump run time. We always though he was ok to jump -- just a little slow, but one time after a night jump he was found laying in a field. We'll never know exactly what happened, but he did have very low sugar levels when he was found. He's now a quadriplegic.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I have a friend who currently lives in Atlanta who is a diabetic skydiver. She has several hunderd jumps now. She has to wear one of those pumps 95% of the time but takes it off during jumps. She always brings neccesary juices and or foods in case she should go into any sort of shock as well. Also, everyone around her is aware of it for the most part and know where such items are. insulin, snacks, etc...

Her name here is CellJumper. She's a bad ass skydiver and has made a post or two regarding the issue if you want to make a search under the name.

Honestly the doc should know best, but sometimes don't when it comes to skydiving... I think it shouldn't be a problem.

Look up user name CellJumper...

What quade said. There are a lot of things about skydiving that can affect blood sugar. Adrenaline will tend to increase your blood sugar. Adjusting doses of insulin (if you're a Type1 Diabetic) can be tricky and can lead to hypoglycemia if not managed appropriately. Anyway....depends on the severity of disease and how well it's managed.

Linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I have a friend exactly like Sebazz1's but in IL. I don't feel right giving her name out though sorry....

The waivers do require you to sign that you're Not Diabetic. There's always the risk.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

Hey,

I have diabetes type 1 for 39 yrs. and been skydiving for 17 yrs. I inject insulin daily to control,
and have to date not had any health problems related to diabetes- eye doctors cannot tell I have the disease. I have never been hospitalized due to diabetes. I have never experienced any problems skydiving with diabetes.

My diabetes is no different than others- re: some do not have illness worse than others. Diabetes can be controlled. The term "bad diabetic" confuses me. All I can think of is an alcoholic that is not in control due to drinking, or a drug addict. Re: under the affects of booze or drugs one would loose ability to "feel" symptoms of high or low blood sugars.

"High blood sugars" feel absolute crappy, your thirst increases the higher they get, you vomit, urinate excessive and eventually go into a comma. There is no excuse to be there.
"Low blood sugars" are also crappy. Feeling faint, numb fingers, sweaty, shaky- eventually leads to "insulin reaction"--so simple to always carry glucose tabs, and snacks/food to eat. Also no excuse to be there.

It does take a few years after being diagnosed to accept the illness and learn to control. The person you are referring to "in late teens"...will learn naturally to control his illness.
Freefall & canopy ride are over in a short time, eat a snack before ride to altitude, carry glucose tabs.
:P:P:P

SMiles;)