happythoughts

relatives

I was talking to my dad. His grandparents did the Oregon Trail thing. A lot of stuff is named after relatives and we have our own spot in the Library history section.

Basically, a generation is 20 years. Every 20 years back, the number of relatives doubles. At your birth (20 years back), 1st gen, 2 to the first power = 2 relatives.

200 years back = 10 generations (roughly). 2 to the 10th = 1024 relatives 200 years ago.

I figure that out of that 1000 people that I could have been related to in 1800:
5 had jobs.
14 were drunks who fished a lot.
6 were horse thieves.
1 was famous.
The rest were farmers who couldn't read.

No real point here, just doin' the math.
:D

The other day, I heard someone say that they were related to a king in 1800.

I was tempted to ask, but what about the 14 horse thieves? They may have had some stronger genes on the horse-thief side. :D I could have serious livestock issues with this person. (Just in case, I'm keeping a close eye on them.)

Maybe they are just related to the king because their ancestor was the honey in the housekeeping group. Genetically, this guy might have a cousin who could cook and wear me out righteously. :)

Don't know about all the rest, but I know many of mine were sheep thieves in Scotland.

My cousin did the family tree thing a few years ago. She also found out that a girl I went to elementary school with is a long lost cousin whose great grandfather moved west and lost touch with his family including his brother = MY great grandfather. Kinda cool.

I also recently found out that my grandparents ran rum.:D

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

my grandparents ran rum

That's funny! :D My great grandfather on my mother's side spent time in Levenworth for making and selling moonshine during the Prohibition!! According to my mom (who is a geneology junkie) the county sheriff or someone similar, was walking down the road on a hot summer day. My great grandmother invited him to have a nice cold glass of water. She didn't know that my great grandfather and his partner had hidden their stash in the water cooler!!!!!!!!! :D The sheriff took a big swig of his "water" and arrested them all there on the spot! :D:D:D God I love that story!! :D:D

Heh, there's a dude named Jimmy doing time in Levenworth - used to run NY's west side Irish mob. Now his brother's running the show. He's connected with the John Gotti trial and the disappearance of Jimmy Hoffa. And he's got my relatively uncommon last name...

Good ol' cousin Jimmy...

On the bright side, there's a senator in Australia with my last name too. Gee, wonder how her ancestors got there?

:D

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

I have an ancestor who used to ride a donkey every where he went at the turn of the 19th century. Evidently, he was a supreme drunk.He met an untimely demise while coming home from the saloon late one night and stopped (for whatever drunken reason) on the railroad tracks.He and his donkey were found the next day, very much dead.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

one of my great or great great or something grandpas and his brother decided to run away from home when they were about 10 or 12. They decided to come home when the town they were hiding out in was shot up by Billy the Kid.
----------------------------------------
....so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Well, I am a direct descendant on my father's side of Clark from the Lewis and Clark expedition. He was a drunk bastard but a great explorer. . .lol

I guess that explains a lot. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

One of my ancestors got drunk and fell off the Mayflower. :D

Kelly

Would we be talking about John Howland ?? He is also an ancestor of mine. That would make us related !!
-Jeff.
http://www.iplummet.com

Common sense and common courtesy are NOT common.

i found out that this really hot gal thati went to highschool with was a distand cousin of mine........... finallygave me a reason to talk to her....lol......

Hey! I take offense to that joke since the town I am from is half Texas/half Arkansas. My house was only 6 blocks away from Arkansas!! :D Actually... it reminds me of a night when my older cousin and I (I was about 12, she was 22) ran to the store for our mom's. She pointed to a convertable and said, "Do you see that blond guy in the passenger seat? Pretty cute huh?" I looked and said, "Heck yeah he's a cutie!" She replied with, "He's a distant cousin!" and proceded to laugh until we got home then tell everyone about it! Boy was I embarassed! :D:D:D

1024 relatives 200 years ago

Hold on there, then the world population would be shrinking now, right?
For example, My 8 great-grandparents only had 5 great-grandchildren!

the Oregon Trail thing. A lot of stuff is named after relatives

Now that you mention it, I do remember a 'HappyThoughts' highway somewhere outside Eugene Oregon.....:P

Theres a painting hanging in the front foyer of the Texas State Capital with one of my ancestors in it. He is sitting to the right of General Sam Houston with his hand cupped around his ear. They called him "Deaf Smith" and theres a county named after him in the Texas panhandle. My great great great grandmother's name was Mary Etta Smith and he was her brother.
Several of my ancestors fought in the war for Texas Independence.