half-a-greek

Painting my factory diver

sandblasting could damage the structure of the helmet. Maybe a media blast (shells) would work. My suggestion is to sand the helmet down with sandpaper and prime/paint with automotive paint. I have painted dozens of helmets over the years. And sandblasting in my opinion would have you looking into a new factory diver or possible cracks in the future.

Chris
It's Jimmy Time!!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-Fast-As-Fuck/6099474213

oocustom paint job. Nice..got he $$ for it?

I had my Sidewinder repainted and I started off with a very fine sandpaper. It removed old paint, decals and got a nice surface that the new paint would attach to.

Then I had a friend of mine getting me some carpaint cheap, which is nice. But then I need a thinner, primer and what not...AND a guy to do it for me. It ended up getting pretty expensive, but nice. Worth it..nee sort of =P

Moral..fine sandpaper does the job! =) Post a pic when it's done!
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

I don't have the resources for sand blasting, so some fine grit sandpaper will work great :P and car paint is the same deal. I know that with spray paint it might not last as long, at least without a clear coat, but if it starts to fade I'll just paint it again next winter.
Looks I can sacrifice, structural integrity, not so much :P.

Check with Auto paint supply stores. Such as one that sell PPG paints some of them now days have the ability to package custom mixed paints into spray cans. Could get high quality paint and clear coat with out all the equipment. I think you would be happier with the results. also remember a good sealer primer as old paint and new paint sometimes react because of different chemical make-ups.

Chris
It's Jimmy Time!!

You don't want sand in it. The liner does not readily come out and you don't want contamination. A few grains of sand flying around getting into audibles or your eyes in free fall would suck.

You can scuff the existing paint to paint over it or you can sand down to get gouges out if you have them.Then wet sand with fine then finer sand paper.

Masking up the liner before sanding will help keep contamination out of the fabric. I have painted many helmets and have painted my own 3 times each time sanding down with 180 grit then wet sanding with 320 before primer. Never had any issues. The sandpaper any more is far stronger than the paint. worst case u will have dust everywhere. But nothing a good can of compressed air will not take care of.

Chris
It's Jimmy Time!!