blkhwk91b

Viso II Wrist Mount: My Solution

I picked up a Viso II. One thing that many reviewers didn't care for was the tie-down string provided with the unit. If my memory serves me, a couple people had it come out of the Protektor case, or come loose, when they snagged or bumped it on something.

I opened up the package, saw the string, and instantly headed to the garage to do my best Tim Taylor.

What I used to secure the Protektor case to the wrist strap were 4" mini zip ties. They turned out to be the perfect length and size to fit through the mounting holes.

I provided a picture of my handy-work. I can say that if I'm in a situation that results in this thing being ripped off my wrist after being zip tied, losing the altimeter is probably the least of my worries at that point.
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

Keep a close eye on the zip ties. Repeated exposure to the cold of altitude and UV rays from the sun will make them brittle. ProTrack used to come with zip ties and most people went to 50 lb wax cord to attach it to there helmet. If done right and tied off with a surgeons knot wax cord will work much better than the zip ties.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Keep a close eye on the zip ties. Repeated exposure to the cold of altitude and UV rays from the sun will make them brittle. ProTrack used to come with zip ties and most people went to 50 lb wax cord to attach it to there helmet. If done right and tied off with a surgeons knot wax cord will work much better than the zip ties.

Sparky

I have considerd poking a needle size hole through the Protektor and pushing the wax cord through to attach the actual altimeter to the base using one of the lanyard holes on the Viso. That way the Viso itself is attched and not just the case. Sort of a backup if anything does go wrong. The way I see it, if there is enough water to get through the pressure filled needle hole, the water has aready gotten in somewhere else.

I will keep an eye on the zip's. I will likely change them out every year. It takes about a minute, so no big deal.
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

The problem with zip ties I believe is that they become brittle and crack/break. I've used safety wire to wire mine to the mount and the new one I used S/S wire. It's a little tricky to get it through the holes on the altimeter but I don't think I'm ever going to lose it.
It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama