vortexr1

D BAG and PILOT CHUTE slinks

Just ordered a new p c and thought i switch from them metal lockers to new Pd slinks. Anyone ever used them ? And are they really better? Also , install , whete could i see a diagram on how to install them? Im gonna have my rigger install them just wanted to see some pics before hand.

Thanks

Make sure they are the reserve slinks. ;)

A couple of photos and good read.

http://www.chutingstar.com/archives/00000105.html

We routinely send out 1 sport main soft link and 1 sport reserve soft link when soft links are ordered with the PC.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

something to consider... contact you rig manufacturer first! some dbags have larger grommets that the slink can pull through. i had installed them on my rig (infinity) after asking the manufactuer if it was okay. a jumper at our dz got a new rig (wings) and wanted them as well. since i had two left from the set i bought, i went ahead and did it. second jump with the setup, he had a cutaway because the slink setup slipped through the grommet and collapsed his pilot chute before his canopy came out of the dbag.

i made sure he understood that (at the time) i wasn't a rigger, and that my rig maker said it was cool but i didn't know about his. of course afterwards he (3000+ jumps) blamed me (~200 jumps then) for the whole thing.:S

"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

velocity sports recommended a reserve slink. i think most manufacturers do. check with them if you really want to be sure. i use one at the dbag, and another one to attach the whole assembly to the top of the main canopy. no rapide links anywhere on my rig anymore.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

Does it matter which size slink (main or reserve) to use for this procedure, or does that simply depend on the size of the grommet in your d-bag?

No matter what the setup, the bridle must remain securely fastened to the bag.

You can test this before you pack the parachute into the newly configured bag/bridle.

Hold the bag in one hand, and the bridle in the other. Pull HARD, trying to get the bridle to come free of the bag. If the bridle comes free, so that only the kill line is keeping the two together, your setup failed.

It is always best to have a qualified person check your work if there is any doubt whatsoever.
In fact, even if you have no doubt, have someone who knows for sure check it!
If you have a rigger around, have him check it.
If you don't have a rigger to ask, be sure that whoever checks knows and understands what to look for.
Having the blind lead the blind does not really work well in rigging.

Does it matter which size slink (main or reserve) to use for this procedure, or does that simply depend on the size of the grommet in your d-bag?

For #4 and #5 grommets in the D-bag, we use a Reserve Slink to attach the bridle to the inside of the D-bag. The extra bulk of a Reserve Slink keeps it from pulling through. Don't think you could do this with a #6 grommet...but can't immediately think of any common sport D-bags with a #6 as standard...maybe just in a repair.

And then if a link is needed to attach to the canopy, we use a main soft link as size doesn't matter there, just strength, and the main Slink is strong enough, and slightly cheaper.

Edit to add: The Reserve Slink is threaded through twice (doubled) as if you were assembling it to lines/riser. Same with the Main Slink to the top of the canopy.

Mike
ChutingStar.com

Mike, I've been meaning to make it out to the farm and show you the line burns in the bridle that have been being caused by the kill line and the reserve slink...

It's a Caezer PC and a stock wings dbag, maybe I'll take some pictures this weekend since it will probably be March before I'm out there again.

Have you seen this before?
"Damn you Gravity, you win again"

Mike, I've been meaning to make it out to the farm and show you the line burns in the bridle that have been being caused by the kill line and the reserve slink...

It's a Caezer PC and a stock wings dbag, maybe I'll take some pictures this weekend since it will probably be March before I'm out there again.

Have you seen this before?

Yes, some seem to do that, but these are usually minor, or less of an evil, than the damage from the metal link/grommet/bridle damage we see with the metal link setup.

Do bring it by.

Thanks!

Mike
ChutingStar.com

show you the line burns in the bridle that have been being caused by the kill line and the reserve slink...

Yes, some seem to do that, but these are usually minor, or less of an evil, than the damage from the metal link/grommet/bridle damage we see with the metal link setup.

So I wonder if the decreased rigidity of the slink vs. a rapide link lets the base of the bridle pull inwards towards the kill line when under tension, and thus allow for more rubbing.

On the other hand, there is burning by the kill line and wear on the kill line anyway (with metal), so is it really much worse than with the metal link?

And even if it is, is that compensated for, by not having the damage of the metal link bashing the grommet and the loops of bridle around it?

To riggerpaul and Mike. Thanks guys.

By the way, while chatting with Mike, it came to our attention that it might be good to clarify that the Reserve Slink should be wrapped twice through the loops in the end of the bridle before securing in the usual fashion.

The devil is always in the details.

Let me make sure I understand. You go through everything twice before securing the slink. It's the same installation technique as you use when attaching suspension lines to the harness, right?

This couldn't be a better set up if I'd paid the man!

This is a great example of why I personally don't like to try to write and post instructions.

It is enormously difficult to know that what you write is both accurate and complete enough for someone else to base a life threatening activity upon. Photos help a lot, but that's so much more work that it is only done rarely.

As a post mentioned, you do this wrong and you end up with a bag lock.

It is pretty silly to let anything get in the way of being absolutely certain that your work has been done correctly.

If there is any doubt, find someone who is absolutely certain. Preferably someone who is verifiably so.

Oh, don't worry, I ALWAYS let my rigger check anything and everything I might change on my gear and I normally just get my rigger to make the changes himself. I was just interested in this particular subject because I didn't even realize soft links could be used for this application and it will be a couple of weeks before I get back to the dropzone and see my rigger. I was just asking the questions because I like to learn EVERYTHING I can in this sport. I really appreciate your concerns and the information supplied by you and Mike on this subject. Thanks.