Viking

How long can you hold your breath?

I've gotten up to 2:45 with lots of practice. Probably could go longer if I didn't smoke.

To the best of my understanding, regular smoking does not have a significant effect on anaerobic sports (freediving, weightlifting, sprinting, etc). I've heard that many freediving record holders have been regular smokers. :P
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I didn't think it did. I know practice certainly works. I would spend some time after teaching the pool session and practice breatholding with just my mask and weights on to see how far I could go. I only did it for a short period of time but did increase by a minute and a half in the period.

Probably stating the obvious, but if you're practicing in the water, and pushing your limits (or don't know them very well), don't do it alone. The only time I REALLY push my limits is on *dry* statics and I've still never experienced blackout or LMC (loss of motor control). I dive alone well within my established limits, and if I'm lucky enough to have a buddy with me, I'll go a bit further.

A good way to increase your static time is to practice the static tables mentioned here. The forum I linked to there is also a great info source for freediving, sort of on par with DZ.com. :) Although it has been debated how much of a link there is between static performance and real bottom times. The best freediver I know (3:00+ dives to 100+ ft) hates statics and hasn't ever done them and doubts he could do more than a few minutes.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com