fcajump

Rigger's Tool Review: Hot Knife

Ok, so this is not rocket science, and it would be nice if we all had laser cutters that finishes the edges, but some of us are on a budget.

I've tried several affordable "hot-knifes" that have ranged from a soldering iron retro-fitted with an exacto-knife type blade (cut but never hot enough at the tip to finish the edges) to a soldering gun with a large round tip (which made a large melted mess). I've also seen several hot-knifes that are made for nylon webbing, but are useless for working with light-weight fabric.

Finally found a good all-around hot knife for working with nylon, both webbing and fabric.

Dorman brand soldering gun
Available at Auto Zone
Online: http://www.autozone.com, item 85369
Price: ~$20

In most appearances, this is like most other soldering guns: pistol shape, trigger switch, quick heating and light to help see what you are doing. However, unlike any other soldering gun available its here, its tip is flat.

From the side the tip looks like brands, but viewed from the top is very thin. This allows the knife to be drawn through the material making a thin, clean melted cut. With just a little care, it will simultaneously cut and sear F-111/ZP or Type VII webbing with ease, leaving a professional edge.

The only other soldering guns I've seen with a flat blade like this, are more traditional soldering gun blades that have been pounded flat by frustrated riggers.

Jim
Sr. Parachute Rigger

"Hot Tip" for cutting fabric/webbing with such a hot-knife: a thick piece of glass laid down under your material makes a great cutting surface.
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Hi Jim,

There are times when I think that I have tried very device available in the USA; and few work worth a d**n. >:(

I have found that you get what you pay for.

About 20 yrs ago I came across this guy:

Model HK-60, Heavy Duty Hot Knife from:

www.mmnewman.com

They are currently ~$60 but worth every penny (IMO).

When I first came across this hot knife I called them and they told me that they thought it would be too hot for webbing and/or fabrics, and they wanted to sell me the Dial Temp device that controls the heat.

I declined the Dial Temp and bought one. Tried it out & bought three more; I think I am on the 2nd one now, and that is probably ~15 yrs on the first one.

One thing that I don't like about the HK-60 is that it has a very short electrical lead; I buy a good extension cord & splice it to the original leads and I'm good to go.

Now, I suppose you'll buy one & hate it. :S

Give one of them a try; I hope that you like them as much as I do.

JerryBaumchen

PS) A good many years ago I wrote about this HK-60 in the old PIA Newsletter. About 3 yrs ago I happened to call down to Strong Entr. on some business and the guy who I talked mentioned that I was the person who put them onto this one and that they really liked it. It's really a small world that we live in. :P

PPS) I could not find your soldering gun on your link by using the Item 85369 but did find it when I looked into Soldering Equipment. [:/]

Model HK-60, Heavy Duty Hot Knife from:

Now, I suppose you'll buy one & hate it. :S
Give one of them a try; I hope that you like them as much as I do.

PPS) I could not find your soldering gun on your link by using the Item 85369 but did find it when I looked into Soldering Equipment. [:/]

Jerry,
Thanks for the tip! Will try one as I'm always looking for better. The one I reviewed has been great for short/quick work, but I am concerned about its long-term quality (get what ya pay for).

As I talk to other riggers, I am finding that while we don't all like the same tools, we are all going through similar frustrations, searches and in some cases home-made tools. Thought it was time to share some, especially for newer riggers who feel that they are one their own. Thanks for adding to this one.

As to the Auto Zone site, I was afraid of that. The solder gun is there, but their search engine is inconsistent even given the same search string twice.[:/] For others looking for it, I would say if the part number doesn't get you there, try by brand (which worked 2/3 times I tried).

Blue Skies,
JW
:)
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

I've used this one extensively on rig, parts, harness and riser cutouts. It will even work on canopy material. It's pricey but after so much use, Ive found that It's well worth the 60 bucks.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Years ago, when I was working on my Senior ticket, I couldn't afford a fancy Para-Gear type hot-knife. I purchased a wood-burning 'pencil at a hobby shop. I took the thickest wedge shaped ti and carefully worked the tip down to a thin blade on a (fine grade) grinding wheel. I slightly rounded the tip so the finished product was a thin blade with a rounded tip. I get a real nice finished edge on 0-P, F-111, cordura or para-pack. For hot-knifing webbing, I use a 12"- 'ruler' from a carpenter's square as a 'guide' for the hot-knife. It's easy to use and works great!

Chuck