Rebecca

Hey, spies and paranoid people

While on the phone at my new job, I've occasionally noticed a backgroud noise. It's not there for long, and I don't think the other person can hear it - it's a subdued electronic staccato sort of beat.

Could it be a random monitoring? Does this mean anything or is it just interference?

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean you're not being watched. :o

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

I seriously doubt it unless you agreed to and signed a consent to monitoring. The actual law number slips me at the moment. Chances are what you are hearing is the result of the phone lines being closely bundled together and subsequent interference from other lines. I am assuming your working in a office environment with multiple phone lines.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

It could be that someone is toning out another line extension and they just happen to drag the toner wand across the punch down for your extension. Occasionally I will have to troubleshoot a line or move/add an extension and when toning out the line I will hear peoples voices briefly as I drag the toner wand across the punch down pairs.

To be honest, with all the paperwork I had to sign, there very well could have been a consent to monitor in there.

In fact, at my last job, I think it was part of the initial employment agreement (no contracts here in TX for exempt full-timers) - something like, this is the company's property, and we reserve the right to look at your monitor from a remote station, and listen in on phone calls... can't recall if it was in any of the recent paperwork though.

You'd think, who has the time, or cares what anyone talks about, but then, you'd be surprised.

You're probably right though. I think my mother's conspiracy theories are starting to affect me. :S

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Cheapy stuff makes that noise. If they are using a slow-roll cassette recorder, there can be a slight hiss and a rhythmic "click".

Nobody uses that stuff anymore though, you're probably just paranoid. ;)

So, what do they use now? God, I hate them.

You're probably right. I'm probably just paranoid. Everything probably is just as it seems. I'll just move along. These aren't the droids we're looking for.

Rebecca, have you seen those black helicopters flying around? I've seen alot of them lately.

I was abducted by aliens too, they took my motivation, tried to get my beer but I beat them back with an empty bottle of Jagermeister.. I was scared!!

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

The cows outside said they abducted some aliens, they want to use my garage to probe the aliens and learn all they can learn about their anus.

I told them to try someone in austin since they're into that, but then a crack team of government ferrets flew in on their stealth helicopter and killed all the cows, then took the aliens. They told me I can't talk about it or they'd scratch me up.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I seriously doubt it unless you agreed to and signed a consent to monitoring. The actual law number slips me at the moment.

The Patriot Act comes to mind when I hear statements like this.
You really STILL believe that we have to consent to monitoring?
Let me guess, you also like the phrase:

"If you have nothing to hide, it won't matter."

Thomas

In the early 80's, I worked on an operating system that had the capability to mirror whatever went to another terminal. We wrote a program to do it. We tried to sell it and found out that the vendor already had a product like that. Tell it the address and bingo, you watch everything that goes to their computer screen.

Most large-office telephone systems build monitoring into the hardware because so many companies do monitoring. Unless you are at a call center, doing sales or support, they probably don't do it. Most bosses aren't that interested.

The Patriot Act comes to mind when I hear statements like this.
You really STILL believe that we have to consent to monitoring?

Point of clarification. We are talking about her employer not the Government.

"If you have nothing to hide, it won't matter."

and if you did, you'd be an idiot to talk about it on an unsecure phone line and should be scarffed up and beaten with a whiffle ball bat.:D
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

That's probably crosstalk from another line or lines whose wires run close to yours. The staccato you describe sounds like the high(er) voltage ring signal that gets sent down the line to let you phone know someone is calling (it used to have to drive the motors to ring the bells on the phone).

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time