skybytch

Some thinly sliced Provolone, please

To go with this whiiine...

I shouldn't whine. I have an undamaged place to live, lights, a/c, a cold fridge, a hot shower, food, water, a car that runs, some beer and the phone just came back on. There are quite a few people - some living just blocks away from me - who are still lacking some or all of those items.

But I'm gonna whine anyway. There's still no power or phone at my shop and at the dz - which means I can't work. The plane won't be back until after asshole Ivan gets finished wreaking whatever havoc it's going to wreak. I learned today that, assuming Ivan doesn't wreak havoc on this area, it's estimated that the dz will have power again on the 19th.

That's nine days from now. We've already been closed for the last nine days because of that bitch Frances.

This "holding pattern" is going to drive me insane. I've woken up the past few days hoping and praying that the power would be on at the shop so I could work, even if there's nobody on the dz. I already cleaned up what storm debris I can clean up around the house. I'd pack some stuff and take a road trip but we don't know for sure that the power won't be back on tomorrow, and I really can't afford to take off anyway. Boredom is setting in.

I'm trying to ignore/forget the fact that being unable to work means no income.

Then I turn on the radio and hear about people who've been without power, water, phone, and even a safe place to stay since Sunday - people with little kids, elderly people, people who have no transportation. And I remind myself to be grateful for what I have.

I think I'm going to call the Red Cross and/or Salvation Army and see if they need more volunteers.

Yeah, I'll take some thinly slice Provolone to go with my whiiiine - but please send your prayers and "vibes" to the tens of thousands of people here in Florida whose lives have been torn apart by Frances and to those whose lives may be torn apart by Ivan... and if you can afford it please donate to the Red Cross disaster relief fund.

Sweetie, I feel your pain. I've been thru a few huricanes and been without power for weeks, while the people across the street from me had power 3 days after the storm hit. Just dig deep and you'll make it..

Hate to be a bad news bringer.. You may wanna keep an eye on Ivan. :| Looks to be another direct hit on Florida, late Monday evening - early Tuesday is the predicted path. Just a heads up.. I wouldn't be to concerned about my power, I'd be preparing for another BLOW JOB!

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

I think I'm going to call the Red Cross and/or Salvation Army and see if they need more volunteers.

Bytch, you ROCK! Great idea. They'll need all the help they can get, and having something to keep you busy will make the time go by SO much faster.

elvisio "EVERYBODY better get ready for Ivan, he's a biggie" Rodriguez

I think I'm going to call the Red Cross and/or Salvation Army and see if they need more volunteers_______________________________________ I went and took my son to Kissimmee a few years back w/ my son in tow to teach him the value of helping someone after some bad tornados hit. Truck fulla tools any nothing wanted but to help. Sat all day got a badge and everything from the Red Cross. At the end of the day they threatened me w/ a felony if I tried to gouge people. Fuck the Red Cross>:(.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Not to downplay it, but isn't Ivan already losing some steam? Maybe he won't be so bad by the time he reaches Florida!

Huricanes that hit the mountains on Jamaica tend to lose some steam but always rebuild (historically speaking) once back over the very warm waters between Cuba and the Keys. Larger huricanes also tend to have a history of the forming more than one eye wall having one collapse and increase pressure and winds....but in the mean time it loses a slight bit of its punch.

What does that mean? Don't count on Ivan slowing down yet...it will still bring more bad news. The only thing Florida can hope for is one model that has it making a nice turn to the east just after hitting the Keys.

Lisa - can the store apply for any federal grant money due to the storm? I'm not familar with how a business copes with forced evacuation and FEMA stepping in, but it might be worth a look.

Hmmmmm, I feel your pain Lisa, this makes living in Winterpeg (it's waaaay too isolated for serious storms not involving snow) almost bearable. This considering it will be about 30f at altitude tomorrow.

When I was about a dozen years old we went to Hawaii for a family trip. Remember the 'Tropical Storm' of 1980 (no, it wasn't a hurricane, technically)? Maui was unpowered for nearly a week and we lived through it. As a kid, on holiday during the school year, it was kinda cool.

Thankfully, our condo was on the sheltered side facing the ocean and the sunset. Woohoo! There were exactly two BBQ pits between the pool and the shoreline. There were aproximately 200 people exhibiting 'mob mentality' fighting over the use of whoever dared step away from their coals for even a split second. Dave gets lesson #1 in human nature at an early age.

That said, I'd had an innocuous flash of brilliance as soon as the lights went out and we trucked into Lahina to gather supplies. "Let's buy some Sterno" I said. WE sat on the balcony of our condo doing fondu watching the commotion below in relative comfort ....

My deepest sympathies to all those personally touched by not just one - but three disasters ... that's at least two too many. alas, I need to drive to my DZ despite info that the cieling is about 500 ft ... I have several first jumpers that are arriving first thing tomorrow "because of me". I hate to whine (well, not really, I love wine - may I suggest a nice capicolla and some kalamata olives to go with your provelone?), My worst dilemma is whether to bring the saxophone or the golf clubs to occupy my idle time :S. Blue skies - calm skies,

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)