Gory

Reserve fit

Hello everyone,

I have a few questions about my reserve!
I purchased new R-max 168 and I just got it packed by my rigger! I own a Mirage G4-size M3, and according to the Mirage, R-max 168 should be a optimal fit, but now when its packed it seems that the reserve is pushing quite a bit into the main tray area, sort of bubling in because it packs quite big, and also to the sides! I also have a Triathlon 150, which, according to Mirage should fit soft! When having those two canopies together, container seems to be getting a lot of pressure, and it does not look or feel right!
It is super stiff, and not very comfortable on my back!
I am guessing that the reserve is too big? But how can that be?
I can post some pictures if you want!

Any ideas are appreciated!
Gory
"Nothing in this world worth having, comes easy"

Question!
How familiar is you rigger with packing Mirage G4?

Show him this link.
http://www.chutingstar.com/archives/00000126.html

I'm packing about 10 Mirage G4 per year and this is probably 1/10 of what Mike Gruwell is packing.So he is the best source for this kind of info.

I think that the key is making the "ears" as thick as possible,but will be better if you show some pics of the packjob.

Blue skies
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

I had a similar problem when I packed my own reserve according to the manufacturers instructions.

Back in 2002 they didn't recommend the pro pack and when flat packing, it made it more difficult to get the canopy split enough to get the ears up in the reserve bag. This left more canopy toward the bottom and encroached on the main area.

A couple years later they amended the instructions to include the pro pack method and it wasn't a problem anymore.

Your problem may be a simple packing issue and I agree that you should speak with your rigger.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

Thank you all for the Info, I appreciate it!
I am waiting here for few pieces of information that I should get this upcoming week, and then I will get back to you!
To answer few of your questions: My Tri's DOM is 99, and I thought that the older ones pack smaller than the new ones??
I will talk to my rigger again in couple days, to see what he thinks, I am sure he will manage to help me!

My other option would be to exchange this reserve for 150, either Smart, or R-max!
Also, does any of you have any experience with Icarus reserve?

Here is another thing that I have not mentioned before! Prior to this set up, I had Raven 1, which is 188 s/f, and Sabre 1 170. These two would normally be pushing the container limit, but for some reason, I do not remember them making the container as stiff, or brick-feeling, as the set up I have right now!

My logic would be that, having @40 s/f more with the first set up, the container would be much more brick-like, but exactly opposite happened! So, I am not sure how to explain that?
My Mirage is custom made for me, and they are known for being great comfortable rig, but this set up is not following that general rule, I feel like rig is not adopting to my back, if you know what I mean, since it is very brick-like!

I hope that I am not overreacting with this, which I don't think I am... Please comment!
I need to figure this out here quickly because I will be moving back to Europe within 2 weeks, because I am graduating, so I would like to figure this out while I am here!

Thanks for help!

Cheers,
Gory

The old Aerodyne fabric was very easy to pack, but it can pack close to a size bigger than the new fabric. If you have a old hybrid triathon, ie with the rings and extra fabric on top and dacron lines, that's about a whole size difference compared to a new fabric non-hybrid Tri.

An sabre with some jumps on it won't pack very big, especially compared to a old fabric Tri.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Hi,

I do agree, that although older Tri is easier to pack, it packs proabably bigger than the new! However, 7 cell packs smaller than nine cell! Sabre is 9 cell, and Tri 7 cell!

This whole problem is very problematic :P
It does not make much sense when it comes to numbers!

So, not sure what to think!
Help!!! :(

However, 7 cell packs smaller than nine cell!

Says who? I've had a lot of canopies over the years and most of my 7cells packed up bigger than most of my 9cells. It's not a general rule. Certainly a old-fabric tri will pack up bigger than a same-size sabre 1 with some jumps on it!

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Ok, I should have not been so definite with my statesmen, I just got the info from Miragesys.com: "Hybrid canopies or 7 cell canopies can usually fit one size larger than what the scale says"

All good points, but still, keeping in mind Dragon2's statement about 9 cell packing bigger than 7 cell same size, I dont know, so I will just trust you. However, my point is that my Sabre was 170, and my Tri is 150! But lets say that my 150 packs as 170 9cell, for the sake of argument!

Now here is what I do not understand, and that is that I had Raven 1 188, which was over 20 years old, which I would guess has bigger packing volume than R-max 188, but the whole system with Sabre and Tri was not as stiff, or brick like! So still, theoretically having 20 square feet of fabric more in the first set up but still it seemed that the whole rig was "feeling" better and less overstuffed than the set up I have today!

I am not trying to p..ss anybody off, just trying to understand it and figure out where the problem is!

COmments?