IceWater

Lines for Aerodyne's Triathlon

The advantages of Spectra and HMA over Dacron are not things you would notice. Dacron takes the edge off harder openings, goes out of trim slower, and lasts longer. It packs a little larger though, because the lines are fatter. If it's lined with Spectra now and packs tight, get a rigger's opinion. If it's lined with Spectra now and doesn't need a reline, don't not buy it because it's not Dacron. But if you have the choice, go with Dacron (don't pay extra for it though).
Johan.
I am. I think.

I just installed dacron on my Triathlon 99. The openings seemed to be softer afterwards. I don't notice any reduction in speed. In fact the lines they shipped were so similar in size to the the original spectra that we had to compare them for a few minutes to make sure I got the right thing!

W

For a new 'A' with less than 100 jumps

HMA lines have damaged the sliders on both my Vision 117 and my VX109. I really dislike HMA for this reason. I much prefer Vectran because it doesn't shrink like Spectra, stretch like Dacron, or shred fabric like HMA. Aerodyne has a big hole in their offerings by not making Vectran available as an option on any of their canopies

For a larger Triathlon, dacron is a good choice. The drag penalty is not as high at larger sizes.

But a smaller one would have shorter lines, so the drag penalty would not be as high .. colour me stupid, but I don't get it. Does this assume equal wingloads or equal suspended weights?
Johan.
I am. I think.

But a smaller one would have shorter lines, so the drag penalty would not be as high ..

That's certainly a point. It gets messy though and I don't quite know the answer. There is often some assumption of higher wing loading for smaller canopies (as you suggested), and higher speed, where one cares more about drag. On the other hand one can ask why one cares more about drag of lines in particular, as the actual amount drag of everything goes up with speed? In that way lines can't be singled out.

However, it seems so having less drag is more important for having the energy for a good flare, when dealing with higher wing loadings and speeds. (E.g., if one had to jump a Manta at 2.3 wing loading, one might care more about line type!)

Also, due to the square-cube law type stuff, the line length will vary slower than the area. (E.g., scale a canopy down to half size in every dimension = half the line length but one quarter the area) So lines have relatively bigger for small canopies. This holds only because we don't scale lines down in thickness -- if one downsizes by one size one doesn't change 600 lb Dacron to 550 lb Dacron. The canopy is smaller but the lines are just as thick.

So the answer isn't exactly clear cut, but I think in general there are still reasons to be more concerned about line thickness for smaller canopies.

HMA lines have damaged the sliders on both my Vision 117 and my VX109

shred fabric like HMA.

I see you have had problems with HMA damaging your equipment. Not sure HMA is the root cause.

I have nearly 2000 jumps on a few different canopy's with HMA and have not had any damage due to the lines. (just my anecdotal experience)

I can't say for sure that HMA does or does not cause damage or line burns more than any other line type but to claim it shreds fabric might be a bit of hyperbole. I think it may be a good idea to look for other causes.

shred fabric like HMA.

I see you have had problems with HMA damaging your equipment. Not sure HMA is the root cause.

I have nearly 2000 jumps on a few different canopy's with HMA and have not had any damage due to the lines. (just my anecdotal experience)

I can't say for sure that HMA does or does not cause damage or line burns more than any other line type but to claim it shreds fabric might be a bit of hyperbole. I think it may be a good idea to look for other causes.

The reason I'm drawing this conclusion: Both canopies had other line types originally: spectra on the Vision and vectran on the VX. Sliders were in great shape on both canopies. Then line sets were changed to HMA on both canopies. The VX shows minor hredding on slider only near the grommets where they rub lines on the way down. Damage to the Vision slider is much more obvious... the red slider is shredded much farther inboard.

The only variable that changed for these 2 canopies was the type of line, and after both were changed to HMA, both showed similar damage to their sliders.

shred fabric like HMA.

The reason I'm drawing this conclusion: Both canopies had other line types originally: spectra on the Vision and vectran on the VX. Sliders were in great shape on both canopies. Then line sets were changed to HMA on both canopies. The VX shows minor hredding on slider only near the grommets where they rub lines on the way down. Damage to the Vision slider is much more obvious... the red slider is shredded much farther inboard.

The only variable that changed for these 2 canopies was the type of line, and after both were changed to HMA, both showed similar damage to their sliders.

I can see your point. I guess the point I was trying to make is that if HMA was causing these types of problems consistently, we would have heard about it. But there are many things I have not heard of. :P There is obviously something peculiar going on in your case