sid

Jumping a real Flag

Just posted a pic of Ronnie Smith jumping a huge American Flag that we made for the Jacksonville Jags demo that was weathered out last Sunday.

This is what it should have looked like, and probably will on October 3rd. Clck on the last thumbnail for the full size picture

http://www.theartofskydiving.com/gallery/Art%27s%20Gallery/art_gallery_index.htm
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

Made out of ZP/F111?

The one Ralph from CO has is I think just slightly larger and he jumps a 425 main with it. I noticed the hanging weight, I think Airtwardo came up with a new system for Ralph's flag that eliminates the hanging weight. You might talk to him about it.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

The Canopies with the flag bags, are those Flight Concepts?

The canopy is an Eiff Classic, 281 sq. ft. and we built a triangular deployment bag so that the flag is tri-folded into it. It makes for a smoother deployment.
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

I'm talking about the pictures where the flag is flying between the canopy and the risers.

Oh, sorry, I'm not sure. Maybe Art will read this and reply.......
Pete Draper,

The problem I have with jumping flags that big is with it touching the ground when you land. I know you've probably got catchers on the ground but I wouldn't think it could be prevented entirely. All the demos that I've done with flags have been with smaller ones that I personally could control and the crowd absolutely loved it. I think we've gotten to the point of sacrificing honor and respect for sensationalism and our own glory. Not to try and take anything away from your demo and I'm also not making an accusation directed at you or your team in particular. You probably have all your bases covered. I’m just making a general observation.

The problem I have with jumping flags that big is with it touching the ground when you land. I know you've probably got catchers on the ground but I wouldn't think it could be prevented entirely.

Good point, but the flag has it's own cutaway system and is released just prior to landing. The ground crew (and there's a LOT of them) prevent the flag hitting the ground. Trust me, there's NOBODY more sensitive to this issue than Ronnie.........
Pete Draper,

The problem I have with jumping flags that big is with it touching the ground when you land. I know you've probably got catchers on the ground but I wouldn't think it could be prevented entirely.

Good point, but the flag has it's own cutaway system and is released just prior to landing. The ground crew (and there's a LOT of them) prevent the flag hitting the ground. Trust me, there's NOBODY more sensitive to this issue than Ronnie.........

Excellent!!! :)

Made out of ZP/F111?

The one Ralph from CO has is I think just slightly larger and he jumps a 425 main with it. I noticed the hanging weight, I think Airtwardo came up with a new system for Ralph's flag that eliminates the hanging weight. You might talk to him about it.

Not sure of the exact size of Ralph's, but pretty soon, that will be the 'small' one.
-----
~~~Michael

There's the term 'Flag' and the term 'Banner'. A flag is not supposed to touch the ground. A Banner that represents a flag is allowed to touch the ground. Ralph jumps a banner that represents the USA flag. The current weight configuration on it is not conducive to catching it (35 lbs on the front). But it is scooped up pretty quickly after touchdown. Streaker did an excellent job communicating this in the spectator area during the WFFC this year.
-----
~~~Michael

There's the term 'Flag' and the term 'Banner'. A flag is not supposed to touch the ground. A Banner that represents a flag is allowed to touch the ground. Ralph jumps a banner that represents the USA flag. The current weight configuration on it is not conducive to catching it (35 lbs on the front). But it is scooped up pretty quickly after touchdown. Streaker did an excellent job communicating this in the spectator area during the WFFC this year.

The one shown in this thread is also a banner. A flag has about a 1.5 to 1.6 ratio.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Here's a 2500 footer...on a 'Set 400'

Hummmm...NO HANGING WEIGHT!!B|
(Bet ya can catch that one!):P

Ground shots give a better idea for scale...

The 'top' flag on the triples is an 800 footer.

Nice shots, show off.B|
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

There's the term 'Flag' and the term 'Banner'. A flag is not supposed to touch the ground. A Banner that represents a flag is allowed to touch the ground.

Good point...

Ours which is the correct ratio, is designated with a placard
as an "Aerial Display Banner" from the Veterans of Foreign Wars organization...
and that distinction is made clear during the announcer
part of the presentation.

We do also make every attempt to 'catch' it anyway...

More Flag & Banner PICS

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~