sunshine

What happens when you get a speeding ticket in your state?

...Coming back from Mexico, I told the Border Patrol that I had left my DL in my other pants. I showed him my Sam's Card, and he let me back into the United States. Is that just crazy?...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I still carry my high school ID issued in September '75, showing my glorious full head of long, shoulder-length hair. When asked for ID I show this card and watch their expressions as I pull out my real ID. At the Atlanta airport I went through this routine at the Delta counter, but before I could extract my license the clerk handed back the high school card, said "thanks", and processed me right on through.

How does this exercise enhance "security" anyway? If I'm willing to blow myself up, how would I be deterred by being forced to show ID?

Jon

In Texas, you get a ticket and a nice fine, and then pay more money for Defensive Driving to get it removed--if you're elgible. Texas has even gotten electronic where they swipe your DL in a PocketPC based portable terminal which radios back to whever to schedule your appearance. You're then asked to sign an electronic pad to promise to appear on the date provided to you (electronically) and then the officer prints out your ticket on thermal paper--all while being pulled over on the side of the road.

I know this, because I got one Just after my last skydive this month *sigh*--Hadn't had one in 10.5 yrs.

Anyhow, if you don't want to pay the fine, DD costs, etc, you give a Traffic lawyer $100 and he'll basically make it go away--which is what I did/am in the process of doing.
-----
2+2=5 For Large Values Of 2

It depends on how busy the cop is if he'll show up for your hearing. If its in a major city, you can almost guarantee he wont show up because most municipalities aren't going to pay OT to the cop for courtroom time.

If it's some podunk county in the middle of nowhere, forget it... they have nothing better to do and they'll most likely turn up so they can B/S with their friends at the courthouse.

< rant >

The crap you hear all the time about "speeding is about safety" is sometimes nauseating.

We all know it's really just a major source of revenue. Just ask Shavano Police Dept in San Antonio, they've built a VERY posh new 1.3 million dollar station in their district... and they only have about 500 homes to collect property taxes from and there are only 10 business there in their legal boundary. However, they are so overzealous about pulling over speeders that most people in San Antonio avoid driving through this area. Now I've seen Shavano Park police going WAY outside their legal boundaries, pulling over people and ticketing on San Antonio's turf (they're hoping someday to get Loop-1604 added to their district so they can start clickin' interstate traffic :S) Makes ya wonder.

...Coming back from Mexico, I told the Border Patrol that I had left my DL in my other pants. I showed him my Sam's Card, and he let me back into the United States. Is that just crazy?...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I still carry my high school ID issued in September '75, showing my glorious full head of long, shoulder-length hair. When asked for ID I show this card and watch their expressions as I pull out my real ID. At the Atlanta airport I went through this routine at the Delta counter, but before I could extract my license the clerk handed back the high school card, said "thanks", and processed me right on through.

How does this exercise enhance "security" anyway? If I'm willing to blow myself up, how would I be deterred by being forced to show ID?

Jon

I know a 30 year old guy who carries the Green Card he was issued when he was 4. It has no expiration date on it (an oversight for a couple of years in the late 70s/early 80s that the Feds fixed later).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

In Georgia (Atlanta), they give you the ticket with a court date, you show up, if the cop does not (you don't get off free) the court tells you if you want to plead not guilty, you will have to reschedule for a date when the officer can be there. If you try to expidite things by pleading guilty, you can explain, the judge will tell you that you that he has done what you di, but he didn't get caught, andtell you to sit on the bench. Now the fun part, you get a base fine (mine was $202), and then you get a bunch of add on bullshit like the Police Officers Pension fund, the indigent defence council, Jail Fund, etc.. which allequalled out to another $123.00.

Can you believe the ballz it takes to MAKE you give to the Police Officers Pension Fund......I don't even have a pension fund, what the fuck over.

Coming soon to a bowl of Wheaties near you!!

When I lived in Fair Oaks, CA. (Sacramento county).... what happened to me, was they would try to give me a speeding ticket, but I just looked at him and smiled and did exactly as he told me and he couldn't seem to give me a ticket. hmmm :S I really don't know what happens to you when you get a speeding ticket in that county. :):D

I bet you've *NEVER* been given a speeding ticket....
I couldn't write you one if I were a cop (unless you were just mean!)

i think most other states have electronic record keeping systems so they can just look up who's overdue on a payment and start sending nasty letters & sheriffs

i once thought i had 30 days to deal with a speeding ticket, turns out i had 10.. hm.. so 20 days after i got the ticket a sheriff showed up at my front door with a bill in one hand and an arrest warrant in the other... i got to take my pick.

that was PA.... in NY you just plead not guilty, you go to court.. they plead you down to something that you still pay a fine for but get no points and you go about your merry way.

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

Most states only take your license if you are from out of state, to insure that you pay the ticket.

The thread was started to find out which states. So please list the states you are referring to.

Some of you may think this is a thread about speeding tickets. In reality, Sunshine is putting together her next travel itinerary, and wants to know which states she can speed thru easily....
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Noticed you're in Lancaster. How do they pull over the horse carts? :P

(i know, knee slapper hahaha :S:D)

Last year a DUI was given to an Amish (20 yr old) who was found passed out with the reigns in his hands (in the middle of the intersection), over .10 blood/alchohol level.[:/]
This was about 1 mile from my house