Jay1984

when to buy a rig?

Hey,

Im new to skydiving(20ish jumps)and need a rig.

Im going out to perris for a month so need to buy a rig i feel.

Should i wait till i get there and then ask around?
Try and find one for sale on drop zone and hope they send it there and i dont get ripped off?

Im really not sure so any advise would be great.

Thanks

Never give money upfront for a rig.

At your jump numbers, do the deal through a rigger.

That way you won't get flat out ripped off, he can double check the quality of the gear and make sure you're getting what you pay for. It's also a good way to form your first relationship with a rigger, something that I've found is VERY valuable, they are much more useful then just repacks and sales... pick their brains a bit.

Try and find one for sale on drop zone and hope they send it there and i dont get ripped off?

In case you don't understand, in essence. You would find a rig that takes your fancy on DZ.com, you would organise for the seller to send the rig to an independant rigger, the rigger would then check the gear and verify that it is indeed what you paid for, you can go down and check out the gear/put the harness on. Then when you decide it's suitable, you pay the seller... the seller then contacts the rigger and confirms you have paid, then the rigger releases the rig to you.

Assuming the rigger is legit, there's no risk for either the seller or buyer.

I wouldn't purchase a rig any other way.

Make sure you consult your instructors.

Hey,

Im new to skydiving(20ish jumps)and need a rig.

Im going out to perris for a month so need to buy a rig i feel.

Should i wait till i get there and then ask around?

Im really not sure so any advise would be great.

Thanks

Why do you need one?

Although renting isn't cheap, it is a good alternative to getting ripped off. Or spending a boatload of money on a rig that doesn't suit you. Or getting something unsuitable and getting hurt.

And why "ask around" at Perris when they have a pretty decent shop right there? Square One

I would advise against getting anything without expert advice from someone you trust (not the seller).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

You would be very fortunate to be able to complete a rig purchase long distance within a month. Fill out your profile and let us know where you're at. There may be people in your area to contact about local used gear. For instance, I could put together pieces of a rig from various locals in a few days for someone not picky and the right size.

Or we may be able to recommend a rigger to work as your third party agent as described above. But selecting what is appropriate for you, finding it, getting it shipped, getting it inspected, paying for it, getting it packed, and getting you familiar enough with it to jump it at a new, large, busy DZ is will be very difficult to fit into one month.

But yes you should buy a used rig. Get with intstructors and riggers that you trust, more than one, figure what your looking for, don't be choosy and try.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

And why "ask around" at Perris when they have a pretty decent shop right there? Square One

with all respect, I don't think that their prices of the second hand gear are good comparing to Classifieds on dz.com or other places.

I bought my first rig over the internet (German forum) when I had approx 40 jumps and everything was as has been described by the buyer.

Janusz
Back to Poland... back home.