f1freak

SICK of old school "TECHNO" video sound tracks....

Having just finished editing my latest 40 min movie I can say that I spent a good deal of time focusing on the sound track. Legalities aside, most royalty free music or self generated music just doesn't cut it for skydiving. Unfortunately when your selling a product music use is a very big deal.

IMO the music is a crucial part of a movie. You can have outstanding footage but if the music is wrong the footage has less impact. Along those lines, coordinating the footage to either the beat or events in the footage with the music makes a huge difference in the flow of the movie. I learned a lot from Greg Gasson and Brent Finely at the Holiday boogie in Eloy during their seminar on editting. Seeing the same footage set to different music or music synched to the footage in different ways makes a huge difference in how people react to it and the feeling that is conveyed to the viewer.

I like techno but I think it has limits when it comes to skydiving videos. Can you imagine a 40 min movie set to nothing but techno? Some might like that but if your trying to reach a wide audience you need some variation otherwise people loose interest quickly. It's easy to use the same old skydiving/tandem music but there is a lot of everyday music out there that when combined with the right footage has a fresh feel to it and people can pick that up. Commercials are a good example of this and they use popular music to their advantage. Skydiving videos can be a challenge but when done right they make you feel like you were right there on the dive.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Along those lines, coordinating the footage to either the beat or events in the footage with the music makes a huge difference in the flow of the movie.

have you seen jerm's year end video from i think 2002 it has a scene where he has it along withthe music and it is the best use of this i have seen yet..... very col way it was done........

heh...I love trance or "techno"...though ask someone who knows and they'll tell you there's no way to classify all electronic music under the term "techno". Blech. There are so many sub-genres: Trance, House, breakbeat, chill, etc...

My dream (if anyone wants to ever get me the gift of a lifetime, here it is) is to put together a "best of" video then have BT score it.

BT is a classically trained musician who makes electronic music that is absolutely amazing. He also scored "The Fast and The Furious" and "Monster"...he is definitely different when it comes to techno. So if anyone out there knows BT and can ask him to score a skydiving video for me...:P

heh...
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

I'm of the opinion right now that skydiving footage + punk or funk == good. I'm tired of the same old repetitive beat as well. When I created my video I wanted something up-tempo, unconventional and conveying a generally good vibe. One of my best friends has, uhm, let's say, differing tastes in music and wants to put that high-pitched-barbie-girl-whiney-euro-techno to the video footage. NAY I SAY. In my 10 minute video I have:
Janes Addiction
Bar-Kays
Tones on Tail
Beastie Boys

I almost threw in some Mos Def and Bad Brains, but I didn't want to over-saturate.

How about that for breaking the mold? ;>

Love it, very cool.

HERE is a taste of what I have been working on. It's 36 mins long and you really need a fast connection. You might see some grainyness at full screen but for being a 8 GB file originally I think 92MBs isn't that bad. I'm working on the DivX thing but still haven't found a happy medium for the web.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I like having music of the times in vid's, i mean the stuff that will bring you right back to that "One Jump a few years back".....
the music that when you hear it it'll give you "goose bumps"....
I mean there are some songs that i can hear now and i can feel the feeling of driving to the dz ready to make my 3rd, 4th, 20th jump....:)I love watching past footage with the music to match...B|
HAVE FUN...
...JUST DONT DIE

ha .. i love how people call electronic music 'techno'.. how its just one style of music and that it all sounds the same. clueless.

most of the skydiving videos ive seen which have electronic music are usually cheesy as.. all that commercial euro trance garbage..

Anyone know any music that could really go with like sunset jumps or just some kind of easy going music without any words that goes well?

"A Dream Within a Dream" by DreadZone. You'll find it on The Saint Sountrack.

Excellent choice, also if you search titles on your download program, just plug-in the word acoustic w/ any band out there & you notice that it'll come up w/ a lot to choose from, they are eclectic, not well known but great.