weegegirl

Would you trust a dental school student to work on your teeth?

I don't have insurance and I haven't been to a dentist in a while. But..... &%*(#$&@(*%&*($&.... OUCH! I have some problem going on for the first time since I was a kid.

The University of Michigan Dental School has an emergency clinic that apparently is about 1/3 the cost of a regular dentist.

Is this a bad idea? Would you trust a dental school student to work on your teeth?? Should I fork up the money for some dude with a license??

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... it hurts. :(

I would say it depends on if they are directly supervised or not. If there is a licensed guy there close by to at least look and help with the diagnosis, I would say go for it, but then again I'm a cheap bastard and any way I can save money I will.
------------------------------------------------
I've done so much, with so little, for so long
I'm now expected to do everything with nothing forever

I don't know if I would because I have been going to the same dentist forever. I can however say that I am only a few blocks from the School of Dentistry on my campus and they have a similar program. Lots of people take advantage of it.

There is some level of skill that a person must reach before they are allowed to work on a live subject and there is normally some level of supervision.

If it isn't anything overlly complicated I would go for it.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I used the UT Houston Dental School clinic after I graduated and before I made any money. Had a friend who was a senior at the school at the time.

Everything was fine except it was by the book! This meant a lot of testing and appointments to get to the point where they would just pull my wisdom teeth.

Blue skies,

Jim

Happen to know where the UofM dental school is ranked nationally? :D

In all seriousness, I feel your pain [:/] and have been in a similar situation. Have you gotten the yellow pages out and called any of the dental offices and shared your story of woe. You'd be surprised what some dentists will try to do for a cash paying patient - at least give you some kind of discount for paying cash up front and them not having to wait 3 months for a stingy insurance company to pay up.

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky..." - Jimi Hendrix

Have you gotten the yellow pages out and called any of the dental offices and shared your story of woe.

I tried calling three different dentists that all said I'd have to wait at least a week for an apointment, even on an emergency basis. I finally asked the last one if she could recommend anything and she pointed me to the Dentist School Clinic.

Right now, I'm ready for anything. So I'm guessing I'm going to head to that clinic tomorrow morning. This shit stinks!!! Not sure how serious it is, but it hurts. Last night I had to take a bunch of pain killer just to fall asleep. And I can't eat. :(

I voted "It Depends"... I have dental coverage, actually have it easy, my company has its own medical center with a dental wing. All I gotta do is walk the quarter mile over there from my office... ;)

But for those thinking about going to a dental school to save money, I would say do the research. Check with the BBB to see if there are any complaints. If not BBB, then there should be something else to look them up in, but darned if I know where. Most of the top medical schools have good service and care, since medical students and interns are always under the supervision of qualified doctors and in this case, fully accredited Dentists...

If it's regular cleaning and check-ups, no problem. If it's filling a cavity, should be okay. If it's anything that requires full anesthesia, like some types of dental surgery, I might be more inclined to go to the real deal. Which is why I recommended doing the research on how their recent history with past clients looks.

Good luck, I hope they can fix your problem quickly.

See you Saturday if you're at the DZ!

Blue Skies
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

That would work for me. (in fact, I may have to look into it for myself).

As long as they can understand me and I can understand them, I'll take what I can get.

I still don't see why they make it illegal for somebody to open up a place like "Ray's Tooth Shack" of orthodontics. If people are willing to go and pay, why stop them?

Medical costs are artificially inflated to the point that the legislature creates its own health care crisis, then screws up the remeedy. :S
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

As long as they are supervised I would try it out. I've gone to an optometry school for an eye exam and they did a very detailed exam... I now know more about my eyes than I ever thought possible B| Once the exam was over a licensed doctor came in to check everything out, so I felt very comfortable with it.

I went through OD school where we had our first patients as 3rd year students. We were always directly supervised by our instructors, nothing got missed or done poorly, and it is probably a far more comprehensive eval than at a regular doc's office. As students we have to learn it all, so as patients you get it all. Plus pay less for it.

If it wasn't for patients willing to trust themselves in the hands of a student and supervising licensed doc of any kind, there would be a lot of docs practicing with no experience. So if you do consider it, thank you.

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

You don't have a:

"Ain't no fucking way a wanna-fucking-be dentist is going to touch my damned teeth" option.

Geez, dentist work sucks bad enough, now to get a wanna-be dentist in training...aint no way.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You don't have to have a student do it. What you do is call the county hospital and they can refer you to a dental office that if funded through the county. That is what I would do if I need dental work and didn't have insurance. Even try 1-800-dentist. Good luck.

B|
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly