tspillers

About to make 1000th...

Tandem jump. My hopes are to take QueenBee on my 1000th tandem, but between the weather, her sinuses, and our busy days it may not happen. I have been requested by a student this Friday. Maybe we can get the jump in early.

Hoping for good weather, Kathy having clear sinuses, and the stars being in whatever alignment they need to be.....

I am not totally useless, I can be used as a bad example.

PIE TIME!!! :ph34r: Seriously, congratulations on your impending 1000th tandem. That is no easy task. Tandem jumps are harder on the body than regular jumps. Not to mention all the added responsibility. I couldn't do it.

Have a great one!

Blue Skies
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Well I have been slowing down now that I have 3 other tandem instructors and we only have 3 rigs (hurry up RWS). I have a rear delt twinge that just started back up after wrestling with someone at the DZ. My left knee isn't hurting at all but if feels like something is scraping in there at one point.

The shoulder is from lifting, the knee from racquetball most likely, but the tandems probably aren't helping recovery.

Actually, I think doing tandems is probably one of the nicer things I have done to my body. :S

Doing tandems can change things for people. You have to do what you enjoy doing. If tandems are getting boring, scary, or just not fun then there is nothing wrong with deciding you don't want to do them anymore.

I had one guy in a course and he did fine (except that one landing....you know who you areB|). After the course, I think he did less than a half dozen students and decided it wasn't for him. Kudos to him for not forcing until he had paid for the course...

She was almost suckered....um, I mean almost agreed. She said we would have to go somewhere that no one knews us and we wouldn't see them again. Then she figured out that in skydiving, you'll always see someone again.

As far as the meds, she is always on them so she has this tolerance thing.

Well I have been slowing down now that I have 3 other tandem instructors and we only have 3 rigs (hurry up RWS). I have a rear delt twinge that just started back up after wrestling with someone at the DZ. My left knee isn't hurting at all but if feels like something is scraping in there at one point.

The shoulder is from lifting, the knee from racquetball most likely, but the tandems probably aren't helping recovery.

Actually, I think doing tandems is probably one of the nicer things I have done to my body. :S

LOL... I blame my 12 years of long distance running, including 2 marathons in my previous life, for leaving my knees in no condition to handle the extra load on the tandem landings. Maybe the landings won't be so bad, but I'm scared to try them anyway. The knees hurt when I kneel on them for too long and I have to pull myself up, and I'm only 37... B| however, I know some friends who put up with worse and keep on going, so that's my inspiration...

Blue Skies
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I havn't gotten hurt doing tandems, nor have I ever hurt anyone else, but I just don't want that to happen. I think I'm one of the better tandem instructors at my dz, but I'm just tired of being a tandem slave, and doing the same thing on every jump. I'm going to stick with AFF, and video. Now every jump will be on my own canopy.

She was almost suckered....um, I mean almost agreed. She said we would have to go somewhere that no one knews us and we wouldn't see them again. Then she figured out that in skydiving, you'll always see someone again.

As far as the meds, she is always on them so she has this tolerance thing.

My wife popped a Xanax pill (she had an RX for it) for her 2nd tandem jump, boy was her mind going wheeeee... :D

I'm just tired of being a tandem slave, and doing the same thing on every jump. I'm going to stick with AFF, and video. Now every jump will be on my own canopy.

I feel the same way..........don't know if I will ever go the tandem route. Probably just stick with AFF when I am ready to pursue it.

Sounds like a great reason to me.

I have kept a good mix. I just did jump 3250 over the weekend and just now at 1000 tandems. Just under 1/3 and doing a much lower percentage theese days. I am doing mostly fun jumps be it belly, freefly, or whatever (even did 2 bridman jumps this past weekend), second place is AFF and Coaching.

Next step is seeing the DZ get a turbine and I can take the 182 and sneak off to other DZ's now and then.

Probably just stick with AFF when I am ready to pursue it.

Thats my game plan, but Its not one that works the best most of the time. Most DZs like their I's to be multi rated for flexibility. I think Tandem being the most used. I may have to break down in a couple and do the TI thingy....
Remster

I had one guy in a course and he did fine (except that one landing....you know who you are). After the course, I think he did less than a half dozen students and decided it wasn't for him. Kudos to him for not forcing until he had paid for the course...

Hey!!>:( that one landing was payback for you farting in the cessna on every ride to altitude, and for scaring the shit out of me with that throttle trick.:D:D

Congrats Todd,:):D:D:P

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Pros and cons. gotta make your decisions.
We were talking about this yesterday. One of my newest instructors said that he likes the fun tandems (non-working student) because there is little stress. You always have potential, but when it is going smoothe, they are having fun, you are having fun and you aren't having to do scans and correct their body position, etc.

Of course he also said something about look forward to doing some AFF jumps so he can keep those skills sharp.

Congrats Todd, now let all those young ones take care of the tandems for you untill you can rest that OLD body of yours.

I will direct you to read the back of the AOTMB5 boogie shirt, sir...:P

scaring the shit out of me with that throttle trick.

We had plenty of altitude, besides didn't you have the parachute on?

Pros and cons.

Definately.......it's just the fact that tandems cause me some concern. It's a more complicated jump with VERY differen't procedures than your normal sport rig. I wouldn't want to be a TM unless I could remain VERY current. Like.....not ever go more than 2 weeks or so without one. At least until I got the first 1000 or so out of the way. When I have the time and means to do that.......I'll get a rating. ;) Might be awhile though. :S