Maki

How to soften my Sabre 150 openings

these are all good advice and if i may ad try relinig with 550 spectre line or dacron line as well as a bigger slider. thicker lines help absorb shockload

Ummm....

Not really.

Dacron stretches to absorb the shockload.

Spectre doesn't stretch (nor does Vectran) and you will get the full shockload.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

take the outer 4 cells on each side and roll them and stuff them into the center cell.

Clearly the best answer in this thread. I've successfully used this technique for years on Sabres and Monarchs.

We also make sure the slider is all the way up.

I hope this is part of every pack-job for every ram-air canopy.

A pocket- or domed-slider will eliminate the need for special packing techniques and is cheaper than a reline. Ultimately, the more-elastic Dacron lines will also yield some benefit but will add to pack volume.

edited to add: Increased rolling of the tail will also soften the openings. Experience will dictate how much is appropriate.

edited to add: Increased rolling of the tail will also soften the openings. Experience will dictate how much is appropriate.

Sure. Did you know, Sir that we can prevent earthquake with goat sh1t?

There is device which suppose to control the speed of the opening, than why not fix that instead of using tricks?

Sure. Did you know, Sir that we can prevent earthquake with goat sh1t?

There is device which suppose to control the speed of the opening, than why not fix that instead of using tricks?

let me guess; you've never jumped a sabre, yet you know all about it!? all the people i know that talk shit about this canopy have NEVER jumped one, they always only "heard of someone".. :S
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

let me guess; you've never jumped a sabre, yet you know all about it!? all the people i know that talk shit about this canopy have NEVER jumped one, they always only "heard of someone

I've got 500 on a Sabre 135, and 1000 on a 107, and I think stuffing the nose into the center cell and rolling the tail is a shit way to 'fix' the problem.

I outlined the different ways to alter the canopy to get good openings upthread. If a canopy does not return good openings with a clean pack job and a seated, quartered slider, than you need to change the canopy, not just roll it up into a tighter bundle and hope it stays that way until you slow down a bit.

let me guess; you've never jumped a sabre, yet you know all about it!? all the people i know that talk shit about this canopy have NEVER jumped one, they always only "heard of someone

I've got 500 on a Sabre 135, and 1000 on a 107, and I think stuffing the nose into the center cell and rolling the tail is a shit way to 'fix' the problem.

I outlined the different ways to alter the canopy to get good openings upthread. If a canopy does not return good openings with a clean pack job and a seated, quartered slider, than you need to change the canopy, not just roll it up into a tighter bundle and hope it stays that way until you slow down a bit.

dave, i havent quoted you there, have i!? and yes, a properly packed sabre wont hurt you..
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

dave, i havent quoted you there, have i!? and yes, a properly packed sabre wont hurt you..

Please tell to my friend who got raptured lung and broken tooth on Sabre openings.

i'm not surprised, a FRIEND of yours; not a FRIEND of a FRIEND!?

how much time did your friend take to pack his canopy, or did he just stuff it!?

i know of a guy that broke his ribs and his teeth too, but it WASNT on a sabre but a pilot i believe! ;)
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

I guess I am a glutton for punishment. I jump camera with my sabre 1. I would say it opens a bit more brisk than my last canopy but it's by no means an uncomfortable opening.

The hardest I've ever been cracked (on a square canopy) was a safire2. The kind of crack that the whole hangar empties and everyone comes out to see what that noise was. Ironically, I really liked that canopy and will probably buy one.

If there is any doubt, call PD. They have revised slider sizes for the sabre 1 over the years, so make sure yours is the latest revision. I'm sure they would be happy to give you dimensions over the phone, and then you can check yours against it.

Coupled with the current version slider, just make sure it's fully seated against the slider stops and quartered when packing. I also roll the nose on the outer 4 cells toward the center. Works for me and I love my Sabre 1.

Did you know, Sir that we can prevent earthquake with goat sh1t?

I'd say that your experience with goat shit is every bit as good as your expereince with Sabres.

instead of using tricks?

What you call "tricks" are establised packing practices. You might as well say that pro-packing is a "trick" or that stowing the brakes is a "trick."