cocheese

..and watching..for pigs on the wing

Anyone know the real meaning of the above Pink Floyd lyric ?
I think it's about being crazy and paranoid about something that will never be..
Maybe it's an old saying from England ?
Anyway, the coo-coo nest thread made me think of this question I've had for years.

You've never heard the phrase "when pigs fly"?

It's usually used in reference to something you think is highly unlikely to ever happen.

Eg - "I'll get my tandem rating when pigs fly."
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Rather a long read but quite interesting.

"IN DEFENCE OF ANIMALS" delves into answering your question.

Dogs, Pigs, Sheep....(oh, Clay!!)

In the eyes of Waters, you are either a dog, pig or a sheep. Dogs are the crafty cutthroats who travel in groups, in a pecking order, each one trying to screw the other over to achieve success. Pigs are the overbearing dictators who have a great fear for what they don't understand, but claim to know what is best for everyone. They impose this on the sheep, who are the meek and obediant subserviants to the world. They realize what has become of them and revolt, but are eventually put back in their place and taken advantage of again. It's human nature in a graphic display of our true inner selves, represented in animal form.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Wow. Good read. Great , My Animals Cd is at the dz.

Yeah, it is a very good read. :^) Who'd have thunk an 'evil' rock-in-roll band would have deep thoughts.;)

Now that you've digested -that- one, here's another that gives -its- viewpoint.

http://miran.pecenik.com/ts/pinkfloyd/animals/info.htm

ltdiver

Another cool read.
Thanks for the research and time. This helps. It's tough trying to figure out the true meaning of lyrics sometimes.
I guess the info is out there if i look for it. But thanks again for doing your (my) homework.:)Remember that time.... when Chris Farley interviewed Paul McCartney on Saturday Night Live ? That was awesome.
:ph34r:

This was my favorite part...:D

A giant pig was designed to be inflated and placed over the station, and was so big that the first attempt to send it up had to be halted because it was dark before it was blown up. There were forty photographers and a man with a rifle (should the pig fly away), but he was removed because of cost.

The following day, the pig was launched, secured with ropes, but a huge wind blew the pig off the ropes and it flew off into the air. The pig flew off south of London, interloping in the flight paths of airplanes, and Heathrow Airport was called about a flying pig--one pilot who reported it to the control tower was even given a brethalyzer test!

Radar contact diminished after 18,000 feet, and it finally crashed to the ground and was recovered and sent back for more photos. Even after all the effort to re-shoot the pig, they ended up superimposing a picture of the original pig shoot onto the picture of the powerstation. Still, it remains one of the greatest album covers of all time.

:PGive new meaning to 'when pigs fly'!! :ph34r:

ltdiver